THIS is why flinch is being changed this week.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by StormStrafe, Feb 27, 2013.

1. StormStrafe

2. Being@RT

Don't trust the forums. Except me of course
  3. Naehloseht

Thanks, much appreciated.
  4. Naturaliensammler

This is why you survive a 150mm HE round in PS2. You know the amount of damage you take with a resist shield on and flak armour 5?

A tank or shell flinching my aim in ARMAII ACE2? Perfect! (I still hate all that f4ggots driving around with a tank next to your fireteam so noone of you can return fire while being shot at)
    But you know the difference? We don't have hundreds of people respawning every 10 seconds throwing grenades, no shielded HA using rocket launchers as shotguns and no 15 one man army Prowlers shelling a 100m^2 area.
  5. Elack

or as an infiltrator, you take time to line up with your target, maybe you had to wait for him to come out of cover or stop moving on a longer shot, you start to line up, hold your breath (shift and it only lasts a couple of seconds), line up the headsho.~#@!BOOOM shake shake shake the moment has passed.

which smg are you using ? lucky if I can kill one over 60 meters (est) away with the recoil
  6. Kumaro

As for the door defender losing situation. I suspect that to be more on the fact that he who enters shoots anyone he sees not expecting any friendlies in there. The defender is often more calm and losses a second on friend or foe recognition. Knowing full well a friendly could come running any second trough that door. It's normal in most fps games.

When it comes to how the aim moves during different situations. Yes some are outright ridiculous.
    However when getting hit by bullets you are dealing with kinetic force. Try shooting while someone is constantly giving you small pushes it will throw of your aim. Although not as bad as in some of those moments there. >.<
  7. Cookiepiledriver

Haha, what?
  8. Elack

empty a clip into a wall, it has recoil, they won't hit one place bullet trail noticeably goes upwards.

do you play Vanu? maybe that would explain why you don't know about the recoil ...
  9. StormStrafe

I'm really starting to doubt that a change to flinch will even happen this week. It's my fault for getting my hopes up based on a simple tweet from Higby. Time to go play Chivalry again, I guess.

At least my life-long favorite medieval weapons (two-handed swords) allow me to be one of the top ranked Chivalry players in my area; my favorite modern weapons are semi-auto so it's a wonder how I even manage to keep playing FlinchSide 2.

I bought the GD-7F recently just so I didn't quit the game altogether, yet I hate being forced to use full-auto just to avoid being killed over and over regardless of skill due to flinch.
    • Up x 2
  10. DashRendar

Totally agree. When I first started playing this game I chose NC for their bullet damage because like you I like to use well placed semi-auto rounds to kill. I had originally set my sights on buying the guns with upgraded damage and lower RoF over the stock weapons, but after a few months playing it just wasn't the kind of game for that. After realizing (before all this talk about Flinch surfaced) that RoF was the winning stat, I started looking into the GD-7F, but I don't really "want" that gun so much as I "need" it. Today I'm an engi support... I repair ****... cause I can't hit ****.

I've been playing shooters since Doom was the big thing. For a modern game, in Blacklight Retribution I was in a well known clan and I'd consistently top game charts even against higher levels... so I know how to play FPS... but this game is different. I don't know if it's just straight game mechanics or maybe it's the NC weapons, but I just can't kill **** reliably so I have to resort to repairing tanks instead or dogfighting so I don't go mental from boredom and frustration.
    • Up x 1
  11. TheRev

Looks like we might be in luck cross your fingers. https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/307320138229755904
    • Up x 1
  12. Brewergamer

Yea whether people believe it or not it actually puts NC at an extreme disadvantage if they don't have one of the few weapons with a high rate of fire in their faction. If they made lower rate of fire weapons make someone flinch more. (call of duty has a system like that, where for example a pistol won't cause you to flinch much, but a sniper rifle will make your aim go completely off which to me makes more sense anyway.)

This could also be done just considering the damage, have them flinch based on the damage the weapon does: (example, a shotgun of course in 1 shot will do more damage than 5 shots from an SMG therefore a shotgun should make you flinch just as equally as an SMG can with 5 shots because that would be the equal in damage numbers).
  13. StormStrafe

14. Vorxil

Only if they rush into CQC. Put some distance and cover between you and your target, choose your approach and surroundings well and you hardly notice it.

It makes the SAW shine, at the very least.
  15. Brewergamer

Even at a distance, if I am getting hit more I am flinching more and I will be dead faster. That's why it needs to be changed.
  16. SoupRadar

OP, thanks for posting video.
    • Up x 1
  17. Vorxil

At a distance you're a smaller target meaning they need to lower their ROF thanks to the CoF mechanic. Eventually there'll be a point where you'll match ROF but you'll do more damage hence making the use of distance, cover and approach essential.
  18. Vreki

Flinch depending on damage? So basically anyone getting a shotgun blast to the face will be looking at the roof?
    But otherwise I like the idea, I was a fan of the Baur in old BF2142, but the low ROF weapons does not feel nearly as rewarding in PS2.
  19. Garantine

Nothing against the change, in fact I think it's about time, but Scourge is basically just a lib farming lifer. I don't see why he cares about flinch because it will never effect him, nor would I take his word on the subject seriously. :)

Props to SOE for pulling their GIANT heads out of their tiny behinds and making a positive change to the game without (we'll see) overbalancing the problem. It seems like it will probably make the NC weapons superior at range, probably just flip flopping the problem of flinch imbalance to another faction, but we shall see.
  20. StormStrafe

Players may note the following changes:
      • New pump action shotguns are available in the depot. These boast increased stopping power in exchange for a reduced rate of fire.
        • New Conglomerate: GD-66 Claw
        • Vanu Sovereignty: Phobos VX86
        • Terran Republic: TRS-12 Uppercut
      • Reduced impact flinch and evened out flinch amount based on damage
      • Reduced screen shake from explosions
      • Client stability improvements
      • Server optimizations
      • Fixed an issue causing NC shotgun slug ammo to do too much damage at range. Should now be in line with the other empires.
      • Fix for NC MAX slug ammo having a longer range than intended
      • Server merges