I think I know why the VS pop is declining.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Slenderman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Kaeldian

I do my part... I try avoid Vanu if I have TR to fight.
  2. VoidMagic

Yea we all knew you were bottoms.
  3. Ronin Oni

It's character creation menu...

More players are attracted to the "Empire"ish musical scores and look of TR, or the Firefly-esque rock music rebel NC.

Both character avatars and music on the creation screen.

Then of course a lot of people prefer guns over lasers.... NC & TR are a lot more like "Modern" shooters than VS which are undeniably Sci-Fi.

Finally, all of those first contributing to a slightly smaller pool of players based soley upon aesthetics creates a lower pop... and few people like being the underdog, so those on the aesthetic fence more likely fall to TR or NC, widening the gap.

Of course, electronic music is more popular in EU and I'm pretty sure their pop balances reflect that (still not majority I think... but on avg more balanced)

This is nothing new though... in PS1 VS were usually the underdog pop as well....
  4. Xasapis

The NC are some serious contortionists from the looks of it.
  5. CatinHat

Today we saw a Vanu not trying to backcap us on Sol last night. We had to take a look to see if it wasn't true.

Poor... poor Lighting lost in Indar.
    [IMG]
  6. GruntOne

It's spandex poisoning.
  7. Kwanza

Yeah, heavy handed buffs/nerfs have nothing to do with it at all....
  8. Dusty El Lion

What lies? We crawled along the bottom of that canyon for months. You've been there for one. Ooh your precious MAG got a nerf to its mobility. Have you driven a vanguard? Until you cert it out the thing moves like a hibernating sloth and has a long reload time on most of its weapons.

We spent three months listening to everybody tell us that were noobs who needed to L2P and that the NC wasn't at a disadvantage. Now that the VS knows what it feels like to be me among the mortals of the SE warpgate its too much, every has to jump ship to the NC or TR. Come on guys, the only changes were magrider mobility nerf and a warp gate flip. If that's enough to get your spandex purple panties in a bunch then you truly aren't helping your faction out.
    • Up x 2
  9. VSDerp

Real men fight in purple spandex. Haters gonna hate.
  10. MilitiaMan

Hell with that!

Way of the dodo or ****!
  11. DeadSudsy

I get it, I really do. The TR and NC would actually prefer there is no VS, so they can maintain their alliance even though they both outnumber VS individually, and farm turrets and flip undefended bases all day, farm certs with no opposition, and act like it somehow matters. I get it. Just be honest about what you want. You all say you want a good fight, but you do everything in your power to prevent one. Truth is you don't want risk, you just want certs. So maybe SOE should just remove two of the factions on most servers to appease you guys.
  12. Skullface360

Mag got a triple nerf: mobility is one, armor 2, thrusters 3. That pretty much is the bread and butter of the damn tank and its gone.
  13. Zazen

If VS pop is declining, which I haven't seen hard data from all the servers to prove that. It's simply the, "fair weather friend" phenomena. A lot of people went VS at launch as a form of hitting the "EASY" button. But, now that the writing is on the wall that some nerfs and/or buffs are coming to un-EASY mode VS a bit, they are fleeing like rats from a sinking ship.
    • Up x 1
  14. Gumbo

I'd like to see the results of a UES if it was this friday.

I bet alot less of the servers will have purple winners of the events. I'm also wondering if Miss Krohn is starting to get concerned that her VS numbers are dwindling. :(
  15. Devrailis

When we saw our bottom, we rose above it.

Seeing dem Vanu bottoms on the other hand gets us rising in other ways.:cool:
  16. Xasapis

In honesty, the whole "pick NC if you want yourself to be challenged" helped bolster and more important, maintain their numbers. The people who picked NC at the time, besides the aesthetics, did so under the assumption that they will be challenged moreso than the other two factions.

Of course, after all the normalising and shifting, the challenging bit has gone out of the window. Playing NC now bears little to playing NC at launch and it's apparent by the number of people who swarm the supposedly challenging faction. Even I was surprised to learn that NC is the most numerous faction at this point in time (somebody compiled data from the new site), I would have thought TR would be the one.

At this point in time, the most challenging faction to play is VS. However the combination of bad press "easy faction" along with the actual reality of the most challenging faction in the game keeps both people that look for a challenge and easy going people away from VS. Which of course has an impact on the overall faction population. A population that at no point exceeded the population of the other two factions to begin with.
  17. h00n

There is no protection for the filth. Their entire purpose is extermination.

Hate the Vanu. Kill the Vanu.
  18. JDS999

vs players got sick of hearing thier horrid theme music, i know i did after 10 mins of play
  19. Xasapis

One of the things I enjoy about the VS is exactly this ambient music. The other is the uniforms that resemble so much the nanoarmor the crysis games have. I don't know if they can beef them up aesthetically even more (tessellation textures?). They would be nice even as part of a cosmetic SC upgrade. I would definitely pick them up, the composite armor cosmetic upgrade is not beefy enough.