Am i just **** at max, or its it unbalanced?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by TechnoRaven, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TechnoRaven

I've been trying to get into a max lately, the TR one.

But i have found it almost impossible to use.
    5+ Second kill time on a medic at 7ish Meters, which means every class i have kills faster then it. But the other classes can heal, or get a shield, or repair. All the max can do is kill, and yet its the worst at it. Other then its survivabilty, it seems that there's no point in using it for me. Id get more use out of the grenades that it costs.
  2. Curse_Gamerkin

ITs effective whenever it actually hits, and you know those NC guys with shotguns? who need to get close to do maximum damage? TR max missing every shot in close range so a NC infantry can tear you a new one just by running up to you. Good look hitting light assault who hover in circles above you pooping C4, Very few people actually use the TR max, it has less ammo, and fires slower than a NC max.
  3. Dreadnaught Wrex

The TR max is terrible at stock. But once you very into it, get a second AI gun and put some hours into it, it becomes pretty kick ***. TR MAXes require a bit more skill aiming wise than a NC MAX but the are more useful outside of biolabs than the NC MAX. Get a second cycler, put some certs into it, and then come back.
    • Up x 1
  4. TechnoRaven

That sounds interesting, but dosent really change my point.

What if i don't want to put certs into something blindly? If its below average out of the nano-station, why would i put certs on it when i could put them on something that could? Ill try trailing the weapons, but overall my point still stands.
  5. Curse_Gamerkin

One sucky gun + second sucky gun = amazing max? even the next tier mercies are pretty ******.
  6. shakkar

blablabla..
    wtf are you guys talking about??
    all maxes suck stock...

get the best weapons of the maxes (cosmos, mercy or hacksaw) or play something else ( and i mean another class;) )

blame soe for that ****..
  7. Anvildude

Trial the second AI weapon? Or maybe grab a second Burster or (what's the TR AV- Pounder? yeah...) second Pounder on Trial and try being pure AA or AV- The Pounders are apparently not that good, but who knows- maybe you'll like them.

That's what the Trial system is for, actually.
  8. Ganjis

If you are good at using a MAX and can team up with an engineer that is good at supporting a MAX, then you can be really effective, even with a single AI gun. MAX and engy is roughly equivelant to Heavy and Medic from TF2. AV weapons seem a bit pointless to me, but are probably worth equipping instead of AA if you are indoors, since they are fairly good at killing other MAXs. AA weapons are great and if enemy aircraft are bothering your team, then an AI/AA loadout can be really useful.
    Most of the time, when soloing or PUGing; HA, Medic or Engy is a better class to play, but if you see 2-3 engineers all repairing a lone friendly MAX, then it might be time to suit up yourself.
  9. vae victus 333

The tr cycler has almost twice the ttk of the t9 carv (default lmg for tr), thats assuming that all the shells hit. Even running dual ai a remotely decent HA can match your dps due to better accuracy because of having sights.

The mercy has slightly better accuracy and dps, though still far worse then a HA.
  10. y3ivan

get mercy for TR, its the best AI for a MAX.
  11. Eric Smith

Stock a TR Max sucks. It's gun is really half a chaingun - it does about half the DPS of a chaingun or LMG, meaning you'll do more damage with a Heavy Assault than you will ever do with a one-armed Max. It's one of my bigger beefs with the TR Max (that, and the fact that the VS Max is similarly gimped but the NC Max gets a fully functional shotgun for each arm - but this is a discussion for the 75 other threads already arguing over this).

However, once you get a second AI gun the combined damage goes up to a bit more than what a HA can put out. Getting a Mercy to pair with my Cycler was one of my very first purchases on release, and it makes the Max very worth while. You don't need to get a pair of Mercies or a pair or other guns, even a mixed Cycler/Mercy pair is a very good combination. The HP of a Max are significantly higher than HA or other classes, and once you start investing in Flak or Nano Armor your survivability goes way up. In fact right now I think I've invested more Certs into my Max than any other class, and it is a beast. When I put it on I'm pretty much guaranteed 1-2 kills, with all the kills after that being pure XP gravy (and you can get some pretty good kill streaks).

I did a lot of things wrong in this video; I hadn't learned all the subtleties of the Max - I sat behind the fence where VS could jump up onto the pad and C4 me, because of the fence I didn't crouch (which significantly increases accuracy, and thus damage), I continuously fired (which increases Cone of Fire, reducing accuracy), early on I was strafing (reduced accuracy), and at one point I literally ran out of ammo and didn't notice (because I wasn't paying attention) - and yet I got a ton of kills, assists, and XP. If I could play this fight over again today I'd do *FAR* better than I did back then.
    • Up x 1
  12. TechnoRaven

Thank you for your reply's. I trialed a mercy, and i found it much much better then just 1 AI gun. I might pick one up with my next SC purchase. Thank you for your help, i will be using max more in the future.
  13. Zaik

Ah, the good old days, when every biolab fight wasn't a million airplanes spamming explosions all over the pad.

I really miss those days.
  14. Anvildude

Heh. Loved watching that one Vanu MAX just stroll right by you.
  15. Eric Smith

Yeah, saw that myself when I replayed it. I'm almost positive it was because he literally didn't render until I was walking past him - you can see him appear out of nowhere - and I was focused on getting back into the fight so never even noticed him. If he had rendered sooner I'd have probably stopped to kill him (or at least shoot him up). Love the old rendering issues.
  16. TribbleFluffer

honestly im NC and i dont like the shotty max's soon as i can get another AI weapon im certing into Dual Slug throwers instead of scatter shot. CQC is great with the shotgun but i get ripped apart at range lol. ive been killed quite a few times by dual cycler max's fyi, you just need to keep your distance. also, try forming a squad around a single max, get 1 or 2 engineers and 2 medics plus whatever support you want, preferably one that can take on tanks as well as Infantry that are harassing you. While the NC max can solo well in CQC the TR max should always role with backup.

The Engineers drop ammo and repair you and the medics keep the engineers on their feet. The Support firesquad keeps LA from C4ing your mecha butt back to the stone age. Max's of all three empires should use cover too, you might be close to a walking tank but if your caught in the open by three infintry (cept infiltrators) your going to get mowed down. btw, for you Engineers helpful hint: if your using mines like i do, switch to your turret and press B, itl switch to an ammo dropper.
  17. TintaBux

2 x Mercy pwns medium range, love it much more than NC max, in fact I own NC maxe's with it, all about being tactical and skillful, you have to use each max to it;'s advantages.

However with every max you can get killed very easily without support.