Sometimes we just need to be nice.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vertabrae, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Vertabrae

A couple of events in the last 2 days have got me thinking about how we sometimes treat other players.

The first was in game. I was playing TR and during a battle at HVAR I see an NC player asking some questions about game basics in /yell. He explained he was new to the game and wanted to know what a couple symbols on the map meant. He got some pretty nasty replies. I don't know if people thought he was trolling, or just wanted to be jerks. I took a few mins, and sent him a tell. Answered some questions and he was pretty cool about saying thanks.

The second was today in a thread here. Someone asked about something they had seen done in game. They wanted to do the same thing but wanted to make sure it wasn't an exploit before doing it themselves. Now to me that's pretty cool. Many people would have just done it, and if it was an exploit, then oh well. Now 1-2 people who replied chewed into him saying he was a bad gamer who got owned by someone who had done what he asked about and now he wanted bans handed out for doing it. I'll link the post at the bottom so you can judge for yourself.

I've had times in game where I asked peoples view on 1 weapon vs another. Or what someones view on the best way to spend certs on a class is. Sometimes people help. But I've gotten a fair number of L2P nub type replies as well.

We all want this game to grow, otherwise we wouldn't still be playing. So next time your hear someone asking a question, help them out. They might be a new player who really doesn't know. They might be someone who doesn't use the forums, or look online and figured hey I'll ask the people in-game who are actually using/doing it right now. We need to help people, not hate on them for asking what we may consider a "stupid" question. I'm not talking obvious trolls here. I mean the people who genuinely don't know the answer. Lets help them out people, so our community grows. New players means more cannon fodder after all :)

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/anyone-can-get-on-biolab-roofs.98837/page-2
    • Up x 4
  2. 7Elite7

Welcome to the magical world if the internet, where anyone can say anything then want without fear of reprisal.

While regrettable, anyone who shows up expecting a friendly and loving experience may want to reconsider their life.
  3. PieBringer

Being nice only makes me depressed! My philosophy is shoot first, stomp on target's face later. If they're an engineer, I knife their turret to death and abduct their ammo kit.

In all seriousness, yes, sometimes we do just need to be polite. However, don't instantly mark off somebody as a bad person because they're being rude. They may be having a bad day, they may be sick, they may have just been fired ten minutes ago. While none of those are an excuse, it's less of a reason to report them, and more of a reason to pity them. Who knows, they might be really nice people that are just really angry at that time.

That being said, some people are rude just because they really are bad "people". (notice the quotation marks.)

Have a nice day. *You totally don't hear that beeping after I leave the thread.*
  4. Larington

Yeah I've taken a few moments to answer peoples questions on yell, mostly because others usually don't answer. I'm glad I haven't seen anyone doing the L2P bullcrap though. That DOES NOT belong in any gaming community. I've seen quite a bit of nastiness directed at the developers on Twitter on certain forums and that bugs me too. I'm not exactly as big a fan of Planetside 2 as I'd like to be, there's a lot I actively hate about the game, but I'm not going to treat the developers with contempt just because they took the game down a path I disagree with.
  5. Cl1mh4224rd

I don't think anyone expects "loving", but "friendly" shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation. Politeness and respect, at the very least, should be very much expected.

In my opinion, it's the people that expect, accept, and perpetuate the overly hostile environment who need to reconsider their life. Something's clearly gone wrong somewhere.
  6. DeadOnArrival

Man I was expecting you to suggest we all hold hands and sing campfire songs. I was going to suggest that was brilliant and the VS and NC should get right on that, perferably out in the center of the map somewhere where a libby can see them. (That's it get a little closer)
  7. Evilhardt

@ OP: I strongly disagree. Ingame chat is for whatever happens in the game right now not for questions about the game. Search the internet for that. I hate when people spam the chat with questions about game mechanics, weapon stats, cert investments or what ever ****. The ingame chat IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE for those things. Period. Note that I don't give those people assh.le-like answers. At times I even help them out. but I hate it still.
  8. xNPCx

It seems to me gaming communites started gettiing worse around the time xbox live allowed you to cuss out everyone you play with and when trolling became a mainstream fad.

I do my best to be civil and will help if I know the answer, but I don't put up with drama ****** and people who don't understand that games are meant to be fun.
  9. Fox234

Welcome to online gaming. New people are always hated by the players in ivory towers. The players in the ivory towers can never figure out until a game dies that noobs are the life blood. Without noobs, there are no players. Everyone was a noob to a game at one point.
  10. Amrok1

Text is impossible to get the subtleties of conversation. People have this tendency to assume the other person is screaming or yelling if there is a disagreement about something. Even if it's as something as simple as an opinion about a post. This gets compounded when one person becomes bullheaded and refuses to examine their own words or the words of the other person. Ultimately it can't be helped as far as other people go. The only person whose behavior you can control is your own.
  11. Candyballz

you dont need control over them, there's nothing wrong with trying to influence them positively.