Mattherson --- severe lag

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jaxxx, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Jaxxx

I just wanted to express my concern about the serious amounts of server lag thats been happening on Mattherson the last few nights. It seems like any time my outfit got into a decent fight, everyone starts complaining about the lag. I am unsure how the TR and NC fared during those battles but I can only guess they ran into the same issues.
    With the up and coming server merger of Soltech to Mattherson, I am concerned that the lag will only worsen. If anyone else who plays on Mattherson is expierenced this issue, can we keep this thread up in the hopes that someone at SOE will look into the issue?
  2. Sebyos

Yeah I remember some lag spikes going up to 10-15 seconds of delay between a click and an action. That's pretty major.
  3. ThePackage

The entire server population is on a single continent. That's the main problem.
  4. Badgered

And within a few hexes of each other. My hope is that once SolTech comes over the population will spread out among the three continents rather than culminating on Indar.
  5. Jaxxx

I agree about everyone being on Indar, its unfortunate but currently is it Indarside....
    I had my outfit all over from pushing the TR away from our warpgate to Peris amp station, and it was horrible wherever we fought a hard battle.
    Most of the TR and NC were cuddled up in the Crown and Allatum Bio so I would expect the worst lag spikes there, but were were getting hit with huge spikes at places like Ceres farms and NS secure.
  6. Tigga

We have the same problems on Miller. It seems that the servers can't handle the load at the moment. Playing anywhere near peak hours on Indar drops you straight into a lagfest.
  7. Eyeklops

Yup, I get it. Had some really odd hit detection at various times last night.

YOU NAILED IT! One of my major gripes is that stuffing 2000 people onto one continent is stupid.

With the current game mechanics and state of the maps this is unlikely. Amerish & Esamir won't start to see major action until Indar pop-locks.
    • Up x 1
  8. Bloodlet

Yeah was having the usual trouble with repair guns and ammo packs last night while taking a base. Once the base was taken and people started migrating elsewhere it started to work fine.
  9. TheHalo1Pistol

oh gawd, not looking forward to that. SolTech is rarely laggy.
  10. TeknoBug

Except this kind of lag didn't occur when Indar was pop crammed back in Dec, a recent update must've made it worse.
  11. ThePackage

Absolutely it did, there were numerous problems with pop-in, hitreg, ammo dispensers, repairs and more right after launch. The servers simply can't handle that many people in one area without major issues.
  12. Tigga

You'll probably be fine if you stay of Indar at prime time.
  13. aedn

just leave indar. its what we do as a clan when the hamsters are tired and worn out.
  14. Eyeklops

I wish I shared this experience.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. It really feels like a server issue.
  15. T0rin

We also need to distinguish between the old lag and the new lag.

The old lag, which has been around since the beginning, and is most apparent is really large fights on a pop capped continent where all 3 factions (or at least the vast majority of 2) are clustered in the same hex. This lag is most evident in ammo boxes not working, revives/healing/repairs not taking effect, grenades not exploding, etc. This is what happened during the UES, when TR was sieging NS Salvage Yard shortly after GU2, etc.

The new lag, which seems to have struck in the past week, occurs (afaik) only on Indar, and seems to have nothing to do with continent population. This lag functions in such a way that it seems like the world is frozen around you, you can't interact with terminals, your vehicle stops moving entirely, only to (seconds or longer) later snap back into action, often a ways from where your client thinks it is. This also affects different people differently. I've been a gunner in a Lib, the pilot has no lag and is flying over the continent, and from my client's perspective we are still hovering inside the warpgate. I've also had it where I see the Lib is slowly traveling/crashing to the ground, and the Pilot says everything is frozen. I've deployed into a Biolab where everything is frozen, Scythes stuck in mid-air, the entire enemy platoon is simply not rendering, the Biolab is completely silent. Then a minute or two later I snap back to reality, am dead, there is suddenly a ton of kill spam and things resume normal activity. I've seen this new lag occur during prime time, and during the early hours of the morning when there is at most a single enemy platoon in any enemy hex on Indar. This feels like a massive desync issue, that affects swaths of players, but not others. This lag also occurs no matter where you are on the continent, you could be ghost capping an empty base or fighting platoons, and it can strike.
  16. ThePackage

That sounds like packet loss to me. I personally have not encountered any of that.
  17. T0rin

Packet loss affecting entire outfits? I mean I suppose so, but it would have to affect everyone if the cause was on the server side.
  18. Vertabrae

What ever it is, old lag or new, it sucks. Was playing an engi last night. Put down an ammo box, nobody could get any ammo from it. Trying to repair MAX suits, wouldn't work. Spend almost 5 mins after a Biolab fight repairing a terminal that was destroyed (I wanted to see how long it would take).

It really is game breaking for certain classes. Medics cannot heal or revive, and engi's can't repair or drop ammo, so they are basically just pure infantry, and less effective without their specialty. Not to mention you cannot repair the Sundy that is keeping your attack going.
  19. Jaxxx

Old lag from GU2 was fixed, they pretty much eliminated 90% of the lag about a week or so after that patch. This lag I've only noticed in the last 2-3 days, I would say its packet loss on my end if it didnt effect my entire platoon. I would love to go fight on Amerish or Esamir but most of the time its Ghostcap nation on those 2 continents.
    Keep up with the good feedback all, hoping to get someone to take a look at the issue.
  20. TeknoBug

Well when it was severely lagging a couple days ago we went to Amerish and it was nice and we had good VS vs NC fights there but I had a new problem- the game kept crashing when respawning.