Why do the forums log you out so often???

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SLiCKRiCK, Feb 26, 2013.

1. SLiCKRiCK

It seems like as soon as you leave the forum for 1 minute it logs you out. Is there a way to tell the forum to "keep me logged in" for at least a day or something?
    • Up x 1
  2. Hydragarium

It's a poorly implemented security feature - as soon as the forum detects that you stop interacting with it, it will disconnect you. There isn't a way to avoid it right now.

There has been talk of a change to the system, but nothing concrete yet last I heard.
  3. GraphicJ

Or at least leave a "remember password" option for it. It is very annoying as I have a long password to type in.
  4. NotTheMomma

I too find it quite annoying, but, remember, your station account ID is used to log into the forum. I'm hesitant to complain too much if it means they reduce the security in any way.

Sony is a big target for hackers, and forums have been notoriously insecure in the past. I'm definitely willing to endure a little inconvenience if it keeps my account from getting stolen.
    • Up x 1
  5. Veratu SOE

Actually, we changed this over a month ago. You shouldn't be logged out by the forums anymore prior to 7 days. However keep in mind, this is a session based system so if your IP address is different OR if you login to the forums from a second computer within 60 minutes of your last login, it will force expire your previous session and replace it with your current one, this we can not change. Also keep in mind if you don't have cookies enabled, or have "privacy" browsing turned on in your browser, that too will force kill your session. (That's on your end, not ours, and only you can adjust that to resolve it).

So for example if you have a desktop and a iPad or Laptop, or even a smart phone and you login on the desktop, then within 60 minutes login on the iPad/Laptop from the same home network, it will expire your Desktop session, requiring you to login again from there the next time you refresh the forum page.

If you use one computer (which many of us do), you should be able to stay logged in for many days without requiring a login, assuming again that your IP address hasn't changed, you have cookies enabled, you aren't using "privacy" settings in your browser, and that you havn't tried logging in from 2 different sources within 60 minutes of each other.
    • Up x 3
  6. SLiCKRiCK

Doesn't seem to work for me. I have only accessed the forums on one computer (google chrome with default privacy settings), and it kicks me out all the time.

For example, after posting this, I closed my browser and re-opened it, and it made me login again.
    • Up x 1
  7. TomoB

Same. But with Firefox, cookies enabled and all other sites keep their logins.
    • Up x 1
  8. NotTheMomma

Yes, this is happening more often that for me. I'd say at least once or twice a day, something I've particularly noticed in the last week or so, but I wasn't paying that much attention until it started getting annoying. I always leave a tab open in Firefox for the forum, and, though I have looked at the forums on my tablet before, it's been at least a month since I did that.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with opening and closing Firefox, though. I just closed and reopened to update to Firefox 19.0, and the login persisted.

Edit: I haven't paid any attention to my IP lately, but I'm on Comcast, and in the past when I've checked, the IP's don't expire for a month or more.
  9. Dotax

Mozilla Firefox 19.0 here. All other sites retain my information and logins except this one.

Each time I close the browser then instantiate a new session I must log in.
  10. Ekdal

I use chrome and I have to log in at least once a day. I'm not making any guesses about the problem, but as a web developer I can simply and humbly state that the cookies sony.com and planetside2.com give me are being set as given. And that comcast probably isn't changing my IP everyday.... probably.
  11. TomoB

Oooh wait a minute, I know... it doesn't save my login because I'm from Europe, that must be it LOL.
  12. fox_news

doesn't work
  13. Blackoth

i disagree, i have cookies enabled and this website has never ever remembered my login or password nor has it asked if i want to be remembered and always logs me out when i leave the page. so annoing...

my other frequented sites are always remembered. BTW Thanks OP for making a post about this, i keep forgetting to lol
  14. HerbertKnivez

Nope, I have made a thread about this in the past, a lonnngggg time ago (End of November). They said that it is too much work as the site is already built, if they had of built it into the site it would be fine.
  15. SomeRandomNewbie

Just tested to confirm, and no dice.

For reference, I'm running Chrome on win7-64 with manual exceptions ('allow') added for auth.station.sony.com and forums.station.sony.com. According to chrome, the session cookies set by the boards have all been set to expire when the browsing session expires, which is at odds with what you've just said. Incorrect setting by the web team?

[IMG]

The only other thing I can think of is that the sessions are being stored (or read) improperly at one end or the other, so aren't validating correctly
  16. Hydragarium

Doesn't work me for me either - same old system as always (after a complete system format no less)

The forum still logs me off if I leave it for more than 10 minutes or so.
  17. Veratu SOE

Let me further clarify as it seems there are different issues being discussed.

We never store your username/password in the browser, and we won't do that. That's against company security policies. So if you're looking for your username/pass to autopopulate or for the forum to "remember" you, you may be waiting a long time because it's most likely not going to happen :) (If you enable the browser itself to remember your username/password, that's up to you, but that's stored on your end at your own discretion).

If you close your browser completely (all instances of it) you are force killing your own session, so naturally it's going to ask you to re-authenticate and login again unless you close your browser and re-open it within the initial 60 minutes of logging in, at which case we'll try to restore your session from the initial one, but that's not always going to work.

The information I provided assumes one major thing: Your browser is always open. Sorry I didn't make that clear initially.

What we solved was the issue where users are on the forum, browsing, walk away from their machines and come back to continue browsing and they have been logged out. That no longer occurs.

We also addressed the timeout values of the sessions themselves, they are no longer 1 hour, so that too has been solved.

It's not perfect, but if you are closing your browser out entirely for the day/evening and coming back to our forums later or the next day, you will have to re-login. There's nothing we can do about that, because by closing your browser you are in essence severing the only means we have to keep you logged in per our company policy by manipulating the session.
    • Up x 1
  18. Veratu SOE

If your browser is never closed during that time, then this is something we need to investigate because that shouldn't occur. Can you tell me what browser you are using, what OS, the browser version, and if it's the 32bit or 64bit version of the browser?
    • Up x 1
  19. SLiCKRiCK

Doesn't work. I frequent a number of different forums on a daily basis, and this is the only one that makes me login over and over.
  20. Hydragarium

Oh that's what you mean by session based - Well of course I close my browser windows. Making the log in process based on sessions isn't a whole lot better than the old system to be honest. Most people will still be logged off constantly - we still need a proper solution where the forums will never log you off (or rather keep the session alive for ages using cookies) and enforce password repetition only in the sensitive areas of the system.