[BUG] Headshot isn't registering? (Using 800 dmg sniper)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chouheals, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Chouheals

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing this. I recently started using the Parallax for my sniper. I was previously using the 100 cert bolt weapon and I had no problem aiming for headshots. However after I started using the Parallax I suddenly sometimes miss shots because the bullet goes through the enemies' heads.

So I tried reproducing this bug and apparently it most often happens when I shoot above their face (at their helmets). I know for SURE that I'm hitting their helmet, but the bullets just pass through and if I aim lower (closer to the neck) it then registers.

I'm assuming that the reason this is happening to the Parallax and not the 100 cert bolt action is because:

1. The Parallax (and I assume all the 800 cert rifles) are bugged
    2. The 100 cert rifles bullet drop is so much worse that the bullet actually ends up hitting the lower area of the face (just below the helmet) and the Parallax doesn't.

I'm leaning more towards the first reason because I''ve experienced this both close (~100m) and far (~300m) and it happens often enough that I'm sure it isn't my aim (didn't have this problem with the XM-98 and most recently, playing with my other character just yesterday, didn't happen with the TR 100 cert rifle either.)
  2. Yautja

This only happens for me when I'm below my target. I go out of my way to stay above them because of this (use rockets or jump on turrets or anything to increase your elevation).
  3. Talizzar

Less bullet drop mean different bullet tracks. With the TR 50 cal you aim for the middle of the head and they are dead unless you are at extreme range and then one dot up is usually enough. I don't think targets will render any further away.
  4. ZephyrBurst

I've seen this happen on a few occasions. Sometimes even aiming at the chest wouldn't register a hit. What I would do instead is change my angle to the target and the shot would register.
  5. JP_Russell

Reminds me of how you couldn't hit enemy sprites if they were at a low enough angle from you in most 2.5D FPS's back in the day.
  6. Chouheals

Happens when I'm below or above or level with my target. I'm usually shooting from above though.

It's not about my aim. I'm experienced enough in sniping to know and calibrate my aim with the different sniper rifles and to compensate for bullet drop. This ONLY occurs when I'm using the Parallax. When I use the XM-98 or the TR variant I don't miss with helmet shots. The bullets literally pass through their head. I sometimes have to aim for their neck to get a headshot.

Does anyone else experience this?
  7. Lixa

Had similar stuff last night (and at other times, but more frequently last night). Aimed at the very top of the head, body-shot. Thought "ok there's some drop, need to adjust". Aimed just precisely above the head, miss. Sometimes the hit didn't register at all, even thought it looked like a perfect HS, just a spark behind their head if there was a surface present there.
  8. Soylent

That's a feat of all 3 of the 800 dmg sniper rifles (which don't actually deal 800 dmg). When shooting from below or above your target you have to aim for the neck.
  9. hawken is better

Yep, I've experienced the exact same thing. I had been using the 100 cert bolt-action rifle for a while, and had no problem consistently getting headshots with it. I got the RAMS .50 today (TR equivalent of the Parallax), and although there was a relatively shallow learning curve, there is still no doubt in my mind that some of those shots just are not registering. I've actually watched my bullet's path down the scope and seen it disappear into thin air when it comes into contact with an enemy (this is sniping from Ti Alloys to the Crown, about 250 meters). Other times, the bullets will connect perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever. I had never experienced this with the M77-B (the TR equivalent of the 100 cert gun). As someone else had said earlier, it might have something to do with being below your target, because this "ghost bullet" phenomenon wasn't happening to me when I was up on a hill shooting down at targets near Peris Amp.
  10. Chouheals

Yeah I never experienced this with the XM-98 or the M77-B. However I can confirm that this happens when you are above your target as well, since it happens to me mostly when I'm shooting from above.
  11. zarfoobla

The Parallax, Cal 50 and Longshot are zeroed in for longer distances, compared to standard bolt-action sniper rifles.

In layman's terms, the crosshairs are only accurate for the distances they're normally designed to hit. In the case of those 3, a lot farther than other bolt-actions. To compound this, the angle at which you fire tends to exaggerate the effect to the point that your aim is off.
  12. Sakai

There's definatly something funny with headshot registration. Had plenty of shots where i've SEEN the bullet hit the head, yet i got body shot. And trying to headshot someone if he's directly below you is a freaking nightmare.
  13. KAHR-Alpha

I have this happen anytime I'm above my targets (on a tech plant for instance) with my SR-7. Usually aiming between shoulders gives me a headshot in that case though.
  14. Zitroxious

gravity defying bullets.. but only if you shoot up.. i wonder if there's no bulletdrop if you are far enough away