Analysis On Which NC SMG Is Better For Infiltrators

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Craig1287, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Craig1287

AV-4 Cyclone versus the Blitz GD-10

Which SMG is the better pick for a close range infiltrator? This video looks at the two weapons (as well as the GD-7F for light assaults) to see which gun is the best choice. Stats are nice to have but they can only mean so much. This video discusses how the guns handle in practice.

2. Timeraider

Nice summary. As attack-in-the-back, disappear and repeat Infiltrator i prefer the Cyclone alot more, but i have to agree that for almost every class except for stealthy infiltrators, Blitz would be the best choice.

I just like cyclone more because i want speed in killing unsuspecting people, i want every single bullet to do a nice amount of dmg and i dont want to have my gun do only like 40-50 dmg at 20m+ :p

but for people who go face-to-face with enemies, Blitz is a better choice for its bigger magazine and higher firerate.
  3. Craig1287

Interesting perspective. I feel like the Blitz's ability to have the advanced laser sight (and still have a ton of ammo) would be too attractive of a trait to pass up for an infiltrator. I do not play infiltrator all that often as I find it actually easier to flank with the LA but when I do play the Inf, I'll keep an open mind about the weapons.
  4. Achmed20

laser sight is realy not necessary on the SMGs, at least not for me.
    so far, im having way more success with the cyclone then with the blitz. i can get as much kills with the cyclone as with the blitz and it reloads way faster. realy needed if you run between enmy lines. you dont want to waste time then.
  5. ThElement078

Since TTK for the cyclone is higher than that of the blitz, they cyclone is better for infiltrators as you can uncloak-kill-cloak faster than the blitz, reducing the chance of enemy retaliation.
  6. sosolidshoe

I see this kind of thing a lot, and it smacks of the same theorycrafting that the OP's video calls out regarding DPS(statistical vs practical). The simple fact is, I cannot guarantee I will be engaging enemies in the uncloak-kill-cloak fashion the majority of the time, not if I want to be doing my job as an Infiltrator inside a populated enemy base during an active attack by my faction.

Between the Low graphics bug, the cloak sound, and the minority of players who are just plain attentive enough to spot the cloak's ripple effect when it does work properly, I find uncloak-kill-cloak to be an untenable method in anything beyond solo vs squad or squad vs squad sized engagements, save for a handful of scenarios that take place in the more open areas of Amp Stations and Tech Plants. I can use my cloak(and judicious movement) to put myself in a favourable attack posture, but I commonly have to deal with two or three people at once when I come out of cloak, and on the occasions I only have to deal with one, there's no guarantee more won't arrive during or immediately after the engagement. Even using a suppressed weapon and getting the first kill in a group using the knife, the sound alone is often enough to draw in support.

More and more, I find myself playing the Infiltrator as a commando rather than a "stealth class"; the cloak is a tool to aid in movement and positioning, but once I begin an engagement I often don't trigger the cloak for several minutes at a time, simply because against many enemies all triggering the cloak does is prevent you from returning fire.

In straight-up combat, the Eridani/Cyclone doesn't have a patch on an upgraded Sirius/Blitz. The latter performs essentially the same as the Extended Magazine version of the former, but with a larger magazine and a bigger ammo reserve, two qualities ideal for Infiltrators; the first for the reasons I outlined above, the second because it lessens competition for the incredibly useful Suit Slot. Now, if you're capable of consistently hitting 50%+ accuracy in real combat conditions, the old SMGs with Adv.Laser might be for you, but for us mere mortals, there really isn't anything the first wave of SMGs can offer that make up for all those extra bullets and the RoF bump.

I can't speak as to the Terran SMGs, since they seem to live in bizarro-world, but the NC and VS ones are, broadly, comparable.
    • Up x 1
  7. RobotNinja

As usual devs said **** the NC. Waited until all the suckers shelled out cash for the first SMG, waited a couple weeks and were like, "Ha ha! Just kidding. Here's a good SMG for you guys. More Station Cash plox."

And yes, cloak is absolutely worthless right now. For the 10% or less of players who weren't on low settings, most of them have migrated to low textures just so they can see cloaked Infs. Either that, or the hacker population on PS2 just increased by a gajillion percent.

The defining mechanic of the Infiltrator class, completely broken for a month and the devs don't give a flying ****. Some real Everquest **** up in here.
  8. Astraka

You're being over dramatic. The SMG situation is the same for all factions, not just the New Conglomerate. Even then, the benefit of the Blitz and its ilk over the previous three is only worth it if you're a min-maxer; the Cyclone, Armistice, & Eridani are fully functional weapons that are amazing as an infiltrator or otherwise.
  9. grin

That gun drops down to a minimum of 100dmg at >43m. At 20m you will do about 143 damage(same as the vanu at point blank)
  10. Lakora

He was referring to the lower damage of the Blitz which would most likely drop it sub-100 at distance since it starts at 125 @10m
    • Up x 1
  11. Timeraider

like i said (the 40-50 dmg was meant to show that the dmg at range just is horrible with the Blitz compared to the Cyclone, probably those numbers are not accurate, but nonetheless.. its low :p).. much better then the Blitz whos dmg get ridicolously low at 30m+ and thats why i prefer Cyclone.. i want to deal dmg to enemies running away from me to without having to use 40 bullets :p
  12. Craig1287

Gotta keep the guns balanced some how.
  13. Timeraider

true.. in my opinion NC is the only empire which has 2 SMGs that are sidegrades of eachother. At the other 2 empires in my opinion the newer one is a simple upgrade.
  14. Zinus

I prefer the cyclone.
    The decloak->unload kill IS slightly faster, but what really buys me is the shorter reload.
    As for 1vmultiple enemies, i never engage more than 2 at a time, and cyclone is more than enough for that in my experience. That coupled with shorter reload, more versatility when engaging enemies on medium range (rarely but it still happens) makes me stay with the cyclone.

P.S. i never saw the real need for the lazor on smg, but i guess its preference.

edit: I'm not sure how of a job they did with other factions smg's but as far as i can see for the NC it is an overall side-grade. I do think that i would prefer Blitz on LA but as i play inf most of the time i cannot see myself with Blitz. The thing is, both of them are useful and that is what matters.
  15. Craig1287

Yea, as an Infiltrator, the ability to go right up next to someone and uncloak then shoot them at one foot makes the laser sight sort of pointless.
  16. Gav7x

Blitzcrank + Silencer + Adv lazor = done
  17. Craig1287

I still have yet to try it with the Silencer. Too scared to see how slow the bullet goes.