Waterson VS - Large Outfits - VDRS - The Rundown

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NotYourBro, Feb 19, 2013.

1. NotYourBro

Hello fellow Vanu, it's NYB here leader of VDRS. Although a few of you don't really like that fact. Larger outfits such as ODAM, DVS, and now, VDRS (Yipee! We're noted now! =D) come under heavy fire. But what's the problem with a big outfit?

Every outfit has its flaws and problems. The VS on waterson up until maybe 3 weeks ago were known as a faction with a lot of smaller, organized outfits. Creating the greater conglomerate of the Vanu Alliance. That is amazing. I know what the flaws of the VDRS are though, and we are working on working through them, and fixing things up to become a great outfit. Coordinated, and with numbers. Something other outfits lack in either respect. We want to contribute something. But again, the flaws.

1. Overly Zergy - Our PuB platoons are more casual and therefore often have our leaders push the people in it in a certain direction. A mass movement one way, without much complexity or overall purpose other than pushing where needed most times.

2. Lack of Information Resources - Places like websites, forums, and outside resources we can give to our members to promote a better understanding of the game, respect for the rules and protocol in-game. But our activity and leadership allows us to teach most of our members where it counts, in the game. However, we still lack these resources and it greatly hampers our coordination and scheduling.

3. New outfit - Not very well known, but I guess I can't say that anymore. We are known, but constant negative attention and not having a well established position among the VS causes a few problems. The people that know us are mislead by the propaganda by other outfit leadership or people who think we don't try to do well. We are also just getting things together, working with what we have and toning it into something great for the VS on waterson. We're new, we're learning, we're trying. Some of it's a benefit, but being new has far more negative implications until we can make a name for ourselves. But I guess according to others, that name is and only is, "Zerg".

4. Team Killing - In a large battle, everyone knows that 'oops' feeling when someone runs into a building you just threw a grenade into. For other outfits the events are isolated and not really noticeable. But with more numbers, it becomes noticed, and scrutinized. There's an amazing amount of team killing in every big fight, and people outfitted or solo'ing alike probably have around the same amount of team kills all around. Just because there's a big outfit there, doesn't change the fact that there's team killing, it just means there's more accidents with the same tag. And people can't realize that. If anything a large VDRS presence means less team killing, we have very strict rules regarding it, that are well known to the outfit members. However we all know it can be unavoidable, and because we're larger, you seem to see more VDRS team killing than other outfits... go figure...

5. The Size - It's harder to lead a big outfit. It requires a different approach in terms of leadership, coordination, and resources to keep it going and running right. I'm surprised we've been able to stay as happy as we are in our current situation. There will be baddies, we will find and kick them. We have people to do that kind of thing. We will have casuals and hardcores, there will be different platoons for them. In the middle of it we somehow all have to find a common ground and coordinate to get people where they need to be. It's hard, and we're doing the best we can. There are so many differences, especially in coordinating things, and levels of command it's hard for others to understand, I get that. We're also trying to figure things out, and look for any help that can be given. Thanks to those that have helped, we do appreciate it and you know we've taken your advice.

Among those problems there are others, and if you want to post them feel free. There are still MANY positives to having a large outfit to. We can do many things smaller outfits can't. We have grand ambitions for Waterson we know a lot of you won't like, and we respect honest opinions. We can take the heat. Here's a list of what we can do though.

1. Control the zerg - Our platoon leaders, even in Casuals do well to make sure a good 95% of the platoon goes where we need them. Even if it's not as micromanaged as smaller squads can be, it gets the solo players where we want them. We control the flow of battle, and we're still growing. We will soon be able to say this will be the front line, we can move other forces here and here, and as an outfit control the flow of battle for the VS on waterson. This is the grand ambition, and it's done though those PuB platoons. If you can't see the use in that, then you know something I don't, for sure.

2. Harcore players en masse - There are a lot people who play the game constantly, and love the tactics. Most evenings we run a PaAT platoon, where people either listen or get out. We fill it up. People have worked so much in it lately, they log on just to get in. This is where squad leaders micromanage, at one order we can split off into fireteams and work 6 men in each area, at specific and different parts of the battlefield. We take advice and notes from the smaller outfits, with squads that know exactly what they're doing (Thanks TBSQ, your contribution changed a lot). 48 people listening to each command, and not faltering. Mass redeployments in a manner of 20 seconds, and ENTIRE PLATOON, and people willing to do what needs to be done. This is a great strength of numbers, and mixed with coordination we can do anything.

3. We're new, we listen - We are still very new. Taking advice and improving, trying new things, being adventurous, having fun, meeting a lot of new people and getting some great gameplay going, it's something we haven't lost yet. There's a new major change every day, a new tip for squads, a new idea for how we're going to be established and another step forward to becoming a well respected and efficient outfit. We are humbled by the experience of the older outfits, we do look up to them. There's a lot of confidence growing though, and it's by the constant moving forward without fail, not the size of the outfit. That's something we think Waterson Vanu need.

4. We can always support - We're nearing our 1k mark, we're definitely gonna party on that one. With that though, there's the promise you'll always have another VDRS online, and at almost all hours you can ask a question and get answers. Note on 'can' though, sometimes we have a bunch of crabby people, it's to be expected. Who hasn't been yelled at once though, am I right? There's still more good than bad, that's where we will keep it.

5. We don't give a damn - Not to be confused with cockyness or ignorance. We are very aware of others opinions, constant attacks, and in some situations we defend ourselves. This is referring specifically to our own team, other VS outfits on Waterson. Anything that's not just rambling we use to improve, however we won't stop just because you're mad. There's a fine line between criticism and bullying, and we don't give a damn about bullying. We have strict rules in place for team killers, vengeance killing, and fighting others who really just attack out of a misplaced anger. We won't kill you back, we won't make an unbacked argument, and we are not children. The majority of our outfit is mature and able to handle themselves properly, and if they can't we kick them. We're VDRS, you're who you are. There is a continent to be taken and we care more about that than a bunch of drama in leadership chat. Get over it, we're trying to push forward and improve. Team kill us if you like, it's not like we don't get it a few times a day from solo's. Sorry if we accidentally kill you, crap happens in a fight. Nothing we can do about it but focus on getting better, that's what I am pushing this outfit to do. We don't give a **** about anything else.

This all said, I think that covers the major areas of what VDRS is, what it's trying to do, and where we think we stand in the server. Yeah, we're new, it sucks that we've grown so fast. We've spammed invitations, got some bad apples, team killed a bit, had a few spats, and grown even more. The bad news is we're only going to keep growing, get more organized, fix things as we go, and get better. It just takes a bit of time and effort. If you don't like that, and you want to
    A) Make an intelligent conversation as to why it's wrong for VS to have an outfit like this, let's have a little debate. IF you actually convince me, we may change a few things.

or

B) Randomly point us out with pointless hate because of; teamkilling, zergyness, lack of coordination, size, invitation spamming, ect. Just because you don't like it, can't see that's how we operate right now, or don't realize it's god damn unavoidable. We will; Try to convince you with logic, ignore you, or take some of the criticism as a need to change and improve in a certain area.

We are not idiots, although there are some here, and we can do some pretty stupid things. We are not just a zerg, although we have the ability to put a lot out en masse. We are not unreasonable, bigots, disrespectful, or any other form of unchangeable bull crap. We are just a big outfit looking to do what others can do and more, and will make it there with time. We are VDRS, the Vanu Drop Squad, an outfit like yourself. Just big and learning. Thank you.

- NYB
    • Up x 1
  2. NanoBitSplit

I can't be bothered to read all that crap but the other day I couldn't fly my Scythe in peace due to ten thousand Galaxies apparently summoned by you guys so way to be.

Man, I chose Waterson because there wasn't any stupid outfit drama at the time.
  3. NotYourBro

It is quite the word mountain. Isn't it... >_>
    I wish I had more more of that effort in school.
  4. NotYourBro

Dat mountain.
  5. 5karn

Are we really getting drama on the command channel? That's unfortunate. I personally have nothing but respect for XoO and all the VA outfits. We vanu are quite outnumbered on this server but still doing awesome due to our teamwork, Let's not lose that. Our Unity is our strength.
  6. Shiaari

I don't mind large outfits at all, but I'm a loyal team player and refuse to abandon No DICE to be a part of a larger outfit. I've run with you a few times, along with VHOT. You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

If you ever need a competent squad commander feel free to look me up, though I understand why you'd keep squad command positions in the outfit. Never the less, I know what it's like to run a platoon and not have a good squad commander when you need one.

o7
  7. ({x})Kyoji

I'll be honest the experiences I have had with VDRS leave much to be desired. I saw a VDRS guy blow up my sunderer only to be replaced with a VDRS sunderer. Combine that with the random invites and the zerg mentality and the rest of the Vanu that pride themselves on skillful encounters can't help but be a bit disappointed.

I have nothing against large outfits. I have something against zergs. When I was messing around with an alt I got randomly invited to VDRS. It was worse when we ran a pub group and had a VDRS guy in the group who didn't know what VDRS was and that he was even in your outfit. He didn't know anything about the game and as I proceeded to ask answer his questions I asked if VDRS had taught him anything - he replied "nope, nothing". I then felt an odd sense of anger and sadness that comes when you become very disappointed.

I can only hope that you guys tighten the ranks and work towards being better as you say in your post. Because I am sure many will tell you that it isn't large outfits that annoy them it is large outfits that absorb players for the sole reason of having numbers rather than having skilled players that know what they are doing and don't shoot at random VS because they are in giraffe camo or get startled when I come around the corner and kill me. So tl;dr - train your troops to be effective and I know I will be a lot happier.

Best of luck to you guys.
  8. RHINO_Mk.II

Waterson Vanu are in outfits?
  9. ritual

Nearly every time I've been invited to join a VDRS squad, it's been ghost capping Esamir or Amerish, running around from empty base to empty base.

The times that we weren't ghost capping, there was literally no leadership or direction.

The best part is that you guys rarely even wait for your whole squads to get in the sunderer/gal and take off without even being fully loaded, leaving people behind with little to no warning.
  10. NotYourBro

Odd, I've seen you personally blow up one of our sunderers and do the same, a couple times actually. If that happens again, definitely tell me and I'll kick the person who did it. However the majority of the resistance does come from you, and seemingly you personally. Hopefully now you actually give tips instead of constantly raging leadership chat saying how bad we are. Hopefully now you can actually represent XoO in a way that we can respect, because we like XoO, how they work is incredibly respectable and coordinated. How I've seen you work, so far... Not in any way you'd expect from the admin of such a great outfit. That's to you personally, from me. =)
  11. NotYourBro

That's a generalization to the pubs. Which frankly I can't say have much more purpose than getting a lot of people going in one direction, I can invite you to one of our more organized squads if you like? Definitely a lot more in there for tactics and working as a unit. Pubs are for casual players though, and we don't often ask much. Maybe that will change soon though, we'll see. =)
  12. JebusRicecakes

a forum post by NYB? madness...
  13. wyld

VDRS
    -Noob Outfit
    -Noob ranks
    -Noob zerglings
    -Noob shooting skills in pretty much every member
    -Noob galaxy pilots that ruin lib runs/scythe runs
    -Noob KDR on pretty much every member
  14. CaligoIllioneus

KDR?

-facepalm-
  15. ({x})Kyoji

negative. The only time I blew up a sunderer was one time at the Crown after mine was blown up by a VDRS member. Second later another VDRS member deployed theirs.

In order for XoO to work with an outfit you need to be able to control your outfit. Rather than make up lies that I blow up all of these sunderers I would worry about organizing your outfit of nearly 800 in the small time you have been around.
  16. Dkamanus

Another Zergfit? How appropriate. We all love a target rich enviroment.
  17. NotYourBro

Negative again. All either of us have is reports an accusations. Therefore neither claim is substantial. Mine means just as much as yours.
    • Up x 1
  18. ecko12

I really do wonder why people don't like VDRS so much. Seriously the first few weeks were the most fun I have ever had on this game. I was one of like the first ten people and we had so much fun. Races on flashes to the crown, massive tank zergs where we would encircle all in our path, huge air fleets. It was fun!! Was it a little much, probably. But was it fun? Hysterical. And that's what games are for right? Entertainment? So we mean no harm and the zergs have died out due to the asking of others and that's fine but please don't hate. I'm sure the TKs were accidental and if they were on purpose they certainly do not represent us a whole.
    • Up x 1
  19. [GE]Wing Zero

NOM NOM TROLLS.

anyways - most of the things people have said negatively i have seen at least one person from every outfit on waterson do. its just more noticeable with VDRS as there are a lot of members as NYB has stated.
    • Up x 1
  20. [GE]Wing Zero

Leme just take out my teleport pants and make sure to keep track of every and any one person on the server - without someone actually saying something to someone its not gonna get fixed. so instead of flaming about it let someone of authority know about what happened just as we would if one of your members was doing something.
    • Up x 1