Are SCU in open bases a good thing?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by illgot, Feb 20, 2013.

1. illgot

Are SCU in open bases a good thing. I can understand in Biolab where the SCU is right outside the spawn room, but do we need an SCU in open bases like the Tech Plants or Amp Station?
  2. MarcusD

It's to curb the infinite stream of ants coming out of the hole when you light the anthill on fire
    • Up x 1
  3. HadesR

Amp station is ok .. Both the Shield unit and SCU are contained within the main building ... Tech plants the SCU location is just plain stupid
    • Up x 1
  4. Dusty El Lion

The SCU's are needed to give flow to a battle rather then all dogpile on one point. At least in theory, this only holds in Bio-Labs where you have to kill the SCU to stem the tide of the defender zerg.

Personally I think there needs to be more then one point for each AMP station and Tech Plant.
  5. Mogi67

SCUs should be in every base imo
  6. {joer

Yes, only they should require more than one guy to overload.
  7. Badgered

No, because bases shouldn't be open to begin with. Even small forts back in ye olde days had palisade walls and whatnot. Tossing three buildings out in the middle of a desert does not a base make.

Small bases should be well protected with a centrally located SCU. Every base should require effort to take rather than simply strolling in, camping the spawn rooms with armor (or air), and sending a handful of people to the point.
    • Up x 4
  8. UberBonisseur

Not as long as SCUs are binary.

SCU marks the end of the battle more than control points themselves
  9. Funguy

Am I the only one that hates the idea of SCU all together? I always thought it was unfair to give the defenders the edge to respawn right at the base. I could understand if there was a ticket on respawns but unlimited?

We already have sunderers and drop pods.

Sunderer should provide the bulk of attacking reinforcmenets and not the stupid outside terminals (enemy base within defenders base).

Drop pods should provide reinforcements for the defenders droping at any controled area at any point. Attacks shouldnt have the ability to hot drop without a squad beacon.
  10. DankFist

This.
  11. Vastly

We had them in every base in beta. They were removed for 2 reasons:

1) At the time they could be taken down in seconds. Fixed with the overload mechanic.
    2) They allow for pre-emptive removal of spawning capabilities. That is, the defense have lost the home ground advantage before they've even got started.
  12. MrBloodworth

SCUs or the lack of them are not the problem.

Its the base layouts. Defenders are asked to do two times the work, with half the equipment.
  13. Killy80

No you are not the only one, I do feel the same. While the defenders can only spawn at a single point closer to the SCU, the attackers can easily have multiple sunderers around. And unlike the SCU, you can't predict and thus camp those locations.
  14. MarioO

I think it's also very stupid (especially in biolabs) that the SCU is only a few steps away from the spawn. You don't need tactics to attack the SCU, all you need is pure numbers to camp the spawn room long enough to overload the SCU. And all the defenders can do (because of that) is running out of the spawn over and over again.

-SCUs should have another position, not next to the spawn room
    -removing the SCU should not remove the ability to spawn, but maybe increase the respawn time (if it is destroyed)
    -Sunderers should not have a shorter respawn time than a stationary SCU. You can have hundreds of Sunderers and it is very hard to destroy them all, but there is only one SCU!
    -You should not be able to deploy a Sunderer in a certain range around a SCU. That's just stupid for the defenders of Amp stations, having an enemy Sunderer a few metres away from your SCU-