Mines Need Balancing -- Crazy Overpowered

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ekdal, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Fast-and-Free

AT mines can be jury-rigged to work on turrets. You put them next to the turret, back away, and shoot them

In the same fashion they can be used as a gunfire-activated door trap
    • Up x 1
  2. DankFist

They do work very well on infantry. I use them to kill MAX's when they are on my trail. What the OP fails to point out is that once you drop them, you have to either shoot them, or grenade them leaving ample time for the aforementioned infantry to shoot you in the face.
  3. GhostAvatar

Well then, by your very argument. If you are constantly running into situations where ***** mines are an issue, then cert mineguard. Otherwise it is a non-issue.

Irrespective of how the mines are deployed or utilised, if you are getting into situations enough times that results in them destroying your assets, then use the counter to them. Otherwise you have nothing to complain about because you're not getting into situations that destroy your assets. That's why the mine guard argument is actually valid, because you are either dying enough times to rage and QQ on the forums about it, but not using the counter. Or you simply aren't dying enough to even be bothered about them.
  4. Vorpal

Your entire post is spectacularly wrong, and just more baseless whining from over privileged vehicle drivers who want to be literally immune to infantry.

The damage anti vehicle mines does is fine. If you don't want to die to anti-vehicle mines, spend the whole 30 certs it takes to buy mine guard. Congratulations, you will now survive 2 anti tank mines. I put it on my vehicles, you can do the same. You can cert it out so that you can survive *all* the mines a single engineer, certed out the ***, can carry.

Each mine takes a ton of certs to unlock and a ton of resources to deploy. And it's all rendered ineffective by a simple, cheap, no brainer armor upgrade, the mineguard, that costs NO resources.

Dropping mines in groups of people or underneath vehicles makes perfect sense. they are *proximity* mines. They have sensors that detect when the enemy is near and they explode.

It does not make C4 obsolete. C4 goes off when YOU want it to, and can be thrown so that it sticks to moving objects. It works effectively against both vehicles and infantry and can be used by the LA, which flies. Mines can't do any of that stuff.

You say it only takes one mine to destroy a tank, but this is incorrect. It takes two.

Having mines explode on stationary tanks driven by unskilled whiny noobs who don't even want to have to move is a great thing for the game, as well as being perfectly realistic. It's a necessary component of the anti-vehicle power for the engineer class, which is otherwise pretty sadly lacking in the AV department.

Additionally, it provides infantry a way to instantly destroy a terrible, terrible tank driver who is operating without infantry support, completely unaware of his surroundings, and hasn't bothered to equip basic defensive measures like mineguard. Vehicles are so tough that even very bad vehicle drivers are usually able to run away and repair when fired upon my missiles. Vehicle drivers hate mines because mines mean they actually die and lose their tanks they think pulling a tank should make them invincible.

You can completely, 100% prevent a single lone wolf from killing your vehicles in one go with mineguard. Yet people still whine about it.
    • Up x 1
  5. TomaHawk

What I want to know is why anti-tank mines blow up Sunderers and Flashes?

THEY ARE NOT TANKS!
  6. TomaHawk

I am a vehicle driver, and an avid Engineer junky and I like the current implementation of all explosives in the game. In fact, I'd like more variety in them over time. I like blasting things with my Nighthawk, but I don't want to do that all the time. To me, a game is fun when I can switch my role when it suits me. Been in a Prowler for the last 2 hours? I'll switch to my Mossy. Tired of air? I'll go to Engineer and lay down mines, then resupply and lay down claymores, then resupply again and get C4. Then I'll go back and get my ammo pack. And I roll in Mineguard 3.

We need variety, not less of it. The more you homogenize the game, the faster I will stop playing it.
  7. Vorpal

They are vehicles. The anti-vehicle mines are proximity mines that explode when in the proximity of enemy vehicles.
  8. Vorpal

And if you don't want to die to anti-personnel mines, equip flak armor.

Basically, all the tools people need to make mines a non-issue are right there in the game. People can basically ignore mines if they cert the right way. Just whiners want to be able to ignore mines (which cost certs to unlock and then resources for each deployment) without having to do anything at all.
  9. drNovikov

Mines are underpowered. One mine does not kill a tank, and it's damage can be repaired in a couple of seconds. Mineguarded sunderer is indestructible by mines.
  10. Shinrah

I´m the guy thats coming over the roof, shoots your buddy, then when you throw a grenade in that direction and open fire, I shoot you in the back from the window behind you.
    I´m engi when I use VHC´s, or my squad needs support, but then I´m in the back ...you know supporting. When I´m an infiltrator I either snipe from ranges where I don´t have to worry about explosives or I make sure I don´t run into them when I go CQC.
    I don´t run over uncovered terrain, and I stay clear of enemy VHC´s when I´m not equipped to fight them. Easy as that, and ofc I don´t cry about the occasional death to a shell or pods.
    Also, I never claimed that anyone is bad, just because hes having trouble with explosives, its a matter of playstyle. If you are mainly LA as infantry you can decide when and where to engage, that prevents you from getting killed too often by explosives. If you are HA and mainly focus on VHC´s flakk armor is the way to go. It´s not a must have in any scenario tho.
  11. Flix

Well the sinking in the ground (the reason why you dont see mines) is a well known bug that needs fixing. On the ap-mines. As one already stated. The nc and vs-mine is harder (as hard as a violett mine is) to detect but their dmg can be mitigated by flackarmor..against the tr-mine you`r dead. period. BUT you can see it more easily.
    I realy hope that was sarcasm. I realy realy do.
  12. Zaik

That's definitely not the case. I don't know if they do more damage, but at full 50% flak armor a claymore won't one shot you, I've been on the receiving end.
  13. sosolidshoe

Ahhhh here we go, the meat of the issue; "casual gamer". Code for "it doesn't matter that the thing exists, and that everyone can get it, it isn't handed to me on a platter and I want it NAO NAO NAO! >:*(".

And why would you think you shouldn't have to use the thing designed to mitigate the weapon you're complaining about to mitigate it? If you want to take less damage from mines(and, incidentally, all explosives, so that's hardly the only benefit), you cert flak. If you don't want to cert flak, you evidently value something else that goes in the slot more, and that is your choice, it's one you're going to have to live with. Oh, and just for you chum, I'm going to spend all my time tonight suicide-bombing groups of enemies with prox mines.
    • Up x 1
  14. Linedan

About 300 Betty kills (give or take) here, and I've never jihaded with them once. I've only seen it done maybe once or twice. More often than not, it's the sneaky LA flying over and raining C4 on our heads that takes out a gaggle of infantry, and I have no problem with that because (a) it's a lot of certs and (b) that's what light assaults do. Me, I put Betties in doorways, on points, on stairs, stuff like that. I wish I was good enough to ***** with the silly things. Maybe someday.

Now AT mines? If I have them or can get them, and I think I have a crack at getting to that enemy vehicle over there, then hell yeah I'm going for it. I rarely pull it off but it feels good when I do. I'm going to throw two or three proximity-detonated little love notes under the back axle of your Sunderer and run away laughing like a madman. Don't want me to do it? Keep somebody back guarding the thing. My 225 infantry resources against your 400 vehicle resources and let's see what happens.

And yes, I primarily do use AT mines defensively, on roads or chokepoints. I can carry three, four if I give up Flak Armor, and that's enough to almost always get just one kill because most vehicle drivers don't seem to use Mine Guard at all, or maybe only purchase one level.

Or sometimes a Flash hits them. That's just such a waste.
  15. dough

This thread is supposedly about mines. What this thread is really about is whining about something that works fine. Its just something you don't prefer that is now raised to some inane feature suggestion. Except that there are a lot of posters into this thread that disagree.. That means your idea ain't going anywhere.

And for the record.. I'm totally ok with mines as they stand. My lightning hasn't died to mines since I invested in mineguard.. its a supreme investment if you are a ground vehicle driver.. and c4 is only an issue if you stand still and don't pay attention to your surroundings.. c4 is arguably a more difficult issue for Sundies.. *but*.. there are a lot more folks around a sundy.. and if they are paying attention to defense of the sundy it not an issue.. its just that most folks don't pay attention, and some of those folks come here to whine when things didn't turn out all nicey nice for them.. Hence my original statement..

You see.. the things that I don't like in a game are things I can't do anything about.. but C4 & mines in PS2 are both things I can control on MY end. Invest in mineguard and pay attention to stuff going on around me.. Its really quite simple.. Yet all this whining happens. Curious, isn't it?
    • Up x 1
  16. dough

Agreed.. if you are assaulting, you are going to die to grenades. No two ways about it. And AP mines are extremely difficult to pick up visually if an enemy is also lurking in the area.. you can only look one way after all. I run flak on all my infantry specifically because of this (since I support HA/maxes as either medic or engie on assaults).

That said, I don't want any of it changed.. its all good by me right now.l
  17. Mxiter

OMG C4 is OP! reduce the damage or give me C4-guard

Yes it's a troll. :D

Vehicule with blockad/armor are vulnerable to mines.
    Vehicule with mineguards are vulnerable to everything.

You have to make your choice. If infantry havn't solution to fight vehicules/tanks, it will unbalance the game.

Mineguard 1 =>3 mines
    Mineguard 2 =>4 on sendy
    Mineguard 3 =>5 on sendy; 3 on tanks

Mineguard 3=>170 certs
    3 mines => 300 certs+ 75 inf ressources each.
    it don't worth to spend certs and inf ressources to destroy mineguard 3 stuffs.
  18. Belkor

The issue I have with mines in PS2 is that they don't warn you if you're near a mine unlike the Battlefield series. In the Battlefield series, you were always warned if a mine was near you. Mines posed a threat to reckless fast drivers and still served the purpose of area denial. Not this instant surprise kill.
  19. Ekdal

Mines should be a lot more visible in general. All mines except the Claymore are way to small and too hard to spot. Vanu/NC mines should not be the same color as the floor.

The Vanu and NC anti-personnel mines should either stop being a one hit kill, or become directional like the TR mine. Omni-directional mines should be 1 for wound, 2 for kill. No one in this thread has adequately defended omni-directional mines. People defending these mines are just trying to protect their overpowered no-skill cert farms. Add a skill element by making it directional or reduce the damage.

Anti-Vehicle mines should have a 10 second plus arming window during which they can be shot and destroyed to prevent suicide mining. Alternatively, they should only blow up when the vehicle moves, like battlefield 3. When vehicles are stationary, C4 should be used not anti-vehicle mines.
  20. sosolidshoe

You've been told how to become immune to 1hk mines; flak armour, you just refuse to acknowledge it.

Purple with glowing cyan lights on is not even remotely "the same colour as the floor", and bettys are actually quite big. Once they fix the bug that causes mines to sink into the floor sometimes, there won't be an issue. Well, not for most of us, I suspect you just blunder into a room and die, hence your whinging here.

Your complete failure to defend your Sunderer from a single enemy Engineer is your problem, nobody else's. Either cert mineguard, pay attention and shoot them, or quit yer moaning.