Is this a game for anyone?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by nalalison, Feb 18, 2013.

1. nalalison

When I' looking at all the replies I have been given, this game looks like it is made mostly for people that like to shoot at other people, and it sounds like it sometimes can be a bit boring and repetitive for some, along with people that can't behave around others (like anywhere else, sadly).
    However, ff you guys represent most people in this community, I think I would like being around.

I don't mind hearing good or bad, it helps me on deciding, thanks :)
  2. Crywalker

It's a big world where there's utterly no attempt to balance the numbers on each team or in any given area. Often it becomes a "zerg" which is basically a bunch of people massed together taking things over by sheer numerical advantage and vehicle spam. Fighting the zerg is generally futile though in some well defended areas can still be worth it. Following the zerg ranges from easy XP to hardly any because there's no opposition around to kill. There's no winning or losing, although you do take ground for what's kind of a victory.

Mostly, it's a free for all shooter, find a nice spot with lots of targets and shoot people for XP to get certs to buy better guns for shooting people. You can play a support character but there's not a lot to dropping ammo packs, repairing, healing, reviving currently. You can hack terminals as infiltrator too but it's also not something you could reasonably dedicate yourself too and is not very rewarding relative to engineer or medic's support tools. Currently, I feel playing for objectives is very boring, which I believe is something many players feel considering how the state of the map is most of the time. Most people just find wherever has a lot of action, often not even trying to push forward to take a place, and camping out racking up kills and thus XP/certs(which are not easy to come by for people who don't pay, so they end up doing whatever gets them the most).

You can also fly or drive a tank, but you're still shooting people with those generally.

If you're not into shooters, or flight simulators, it's likely not going to be your thing.
    • Up x 1
  3. anaverageguy

No objective? Perhaps for you, but that is a very poorly stated analysis of the current game. There are plenty of objectives; the game does not dictate for you what your objective is.

There is the option of capturing territory, defending territory.. eventually locking continents, which would be the "WE WIN" aspect of the game not yet implemented.

There is the option of improving k/d, improving cohesion with teammates in preparation for when strategy will matter, improving equipment and vehicles for specific roles.. there's the option of doing whatever the hell you feel like doing that the game allows for.

Edit: as for length of entertainment.. yeah some would lose interest in under a week.
    • Up x 1
  4. DukeFlash

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from trying this game, if it seemed that way, I just wanted to make sure you understood what kind of game this is.

Like I said, I think you may be looking for an action mmo, you might want to google some review sites or lists, just picked this link at random for you:
    http://www.mmofront.com/games/action-based

It's worth noting, Phantasy Star Online 2 isn't released outside of Japan... yet, even though it's supposed to sometime this year.
    Happens to be a game I've been looking forward to a long time...
    • Up x 1
  5. nalalison

Ok, the game starts sounding less and less like something I'd enjoy, sadly enough. Thank you for the input :)
  6. nalalison

Thank you! I understand the game is a bit new and that more features will come soon. I might not install it now, but I could come back later and check if it is better then perhaps?
  7. nalalison

Thank you, DukeFlash! You are very kind to go out of your way to check those things for me. Sorry for being so difficult and stuff, just was very curious about the game :)
  8. SirBurning

Just try it out, It's free after all. Play it for a few days, if you don't get the feeling for it it isn't for you, you lose nothing :)
    Install is very easy, you download the launcher, run it, it will install the game for you, you press play and your in :D
    It's not hard, even if you aren't very good with computers
    • Up x 1
  9. nalalison

OK, thanks! That helps :)
  10. DukeFlash

The thing is, a lot of games these days are huge downloads and take a long time to download, not to mention potentially eating bandwidth on a shared connection. She wants to make sure the game(s) she downloads is to her liking beforehand.
    • Up x 1
  11. nalalison

Yes, exactly, but I'm also, like he correctly assumed from what I had written, totally lame when it comes to computers :p
    Thanks for all answers, you guys are extremely nice :)
  12. biterwylie

Hi. Yeah I do get what you mean by setting yourself objectives. This is very often my only satifaction in the game, even doing things like walking a burster max to the enemy warp gate for giggles. But I find the idea of capturing / defending to be pointless as this is just a side effect of the shoot em up.

Often I have faced Outfits of 20 on my own. I loose the base but then hide just on the outskirts, let them move to the next one base then just retake it as soon as they leave. What did they achieve, beyond killing me a few times and me killing them a few times.

@ OP As long as you are not paying for the large download I would suggest to give it a try and see for yourself.
    • Up x 1
  13. Crywalker

If you don't want to go through the trouble of installing, you can find plenty of gameplay videos on youtube. Many players have their issues with the game and will focus on the negative, so seeing actual gameplay should help. But still, I'm betting it's not your game. I play it mainly to kill time since I've played my single player games to death already. It can be fun but often very frustrating too.
    • Up x 3
  14. VodkaGR

Check your inbox
    • Up x 1
  15. nalalison

Alright, based on what you guys have told me, I'm very hesitant to install the game (and that's not only because I'm computerly handicapped :p). Based on all the friendly replies, I seem to miss out on a good community though :) Thank you all for replying to me in such a friendly matter, and for not losing patience with me :)
    • Up x 1
  16. Kurreah

I generally just download things this size overnight. I certainly wouldn't advise waiting at your computer for that time.

Other points to consider:
    As people have said: find an outfit. It changes the game to a much more team-oriented one than a pure shooter, and allows you to achieve much more. You can even do that on the forums, before you hit the game.
    (The game does tend to put you in a potential combat situation before letting you play around with controls and such.)

Don't trust the forums too much. Many of the people here are to complain, because they have a personal axe to grind, bored at work, pick fights etc. Game forums represent the health of a game like surveying a hospital represents the health of the overall population.

Hearing voice is almost vital. Being able to speak is very useful, but has issues if you are female, very young, strongly accented etc.

If you like the game, it might be worth waiting a bit before spending money on it. There are occasional sales where you get twice or three times as much virtual currency for your money.

The game has overall improved since beta. You can always come back later to see if it has changed for the better in time.
    • Up x 1
  17. nalalison

Ok, now I'm suddenly in two minds on what to do, lol.
    I will think on it, and maybe download it like you suggest, Kurreah :)
  18. iller

Nope.... that's a nice way of cloaking a PERSONAL ATTACK by the way though.... ;)

It's because this game has more undetected Free Hacks than almost any other AAA F2P on the market.
  19. Soylent

Ask a nerd friend to help you. Everyone has one.

There's really no reason not to try the game out. You seem interested, and only personal experience will tell if you like it or not.

Personally I don't like multiplier FPS games (only play trough the single player campaign), but I like PS2. I wouldn't know if I didn't give it a try.
  20. nalalison

I'm not into name calling, but sure, I would probably ask my brother and he would probably answer: "not again..."
    Edit: Actually, by just considering playing a computer game like this, some of my friends might call me a nerd :p
    Not sure if that is a bad thing though? :)