Why SMGs?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Weylin, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Weylin

I few weeks ago I got the shot gun and lynx with adv laser, both for close ranged combat.
    Now we have SMGs.
    Do these outperform the aforementioned weapons, or... what's the point of them?
  2. TheInferno

I haven't had a chance to play with em, but I hear that it's better to stick to carbine due to the severe ammo limitation. The biggest factor is they unlock for all classes but MAX.

Which means Infils actually have a close range weapon. It's fun fighting them actually, I enjoy seeing people sneak into the base and such.
  3. Weylin

How is the ammo a limitation? they have 30 bullets, which would only be a downside to the TR, and I assume the reload must be quite a bit faster to make up for the smaller magazine.
  4. grin

There is little point to them outside Infiltrators. Every other class has a better High dps CQC weapon that is NOT gimped at medium and long ranges like the SMG's are. VX6-7, Serpent, H-V45, Orion, Pulsar LSW will all outperform the SMG's in nearly every situation, and they don't have to give up 5 bullets to get laser sight.
  5. Kylesal18

I got the SMG right after it came out and I love it. Now, this is coming from a GR-22 Adv. laser user. I have Extended mag and 1x sight. I love it and I am saving for the suppressor. Love the damage the Inf can now do. Also, I have a CQC weapon that has upgrades on all my classes now. Now, this is NC where there are not many good CQC weapons that are cheap. I like mine and I plan on using it for a long time. OH, and I put it on my heavy just for the fun of it. Was beasting at CQC ranges.

Kyle
  6. TheInferno

It's 30 bullets but it's ROF is so high it burns it fast. It also doesn't have a large total ammo pool. In fact, the new SMGs coming out soon are specifically lower damage higher ammo.

I've heard claims it's OP, UP, and just right, so I think they actually did a fairly nice job on this.
  7. 7Elite7

They completely vaporize you at close range, but if you can't reach out and touch your enemy your SMG won't be able to either.

Shotguns are better, IMO, because they can work at midrange.
  8. pnkdth

I see absolutely no reason to use a SMG on any other class than infiltrator.

The reason you see them on many different classes is because they're good value for those who do not want buy lots and lots weapons.
  9. Weylin

Between my slow reflexes and frame rate, I probably would have been better off putting all my certs and SC into the MAX from the very beginning. I literally get killed over and over before I can even press a button lol.
  10. KAHR-Alpha

To be honest, since I have a SMG my scout rifle is just collecting dust, but I agree those are mainly for infiltrators.
  11. Crywalker

Lynx > SMG

As for shotgun, depends on preference. SMG is generally more of an infil weapon than anything else.