[Suggestion] A potential community fix for server depopulation

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 7Elite7, Feb 14, 2013.

1. 7Elite7

So people have been whining about servers being quiet, turning into Genudine, etc, etc. Okay. This is a problem. Even on servers with a reliable but still too-small populations (I play on Helios. It's decent, but it could be a lot bigger) it seems that there's still not a high enough population to force players off of Indar and onto other continents. Even on Indar, the map basically turns into a few small caps with 2 or 3 areas of massive zerg-offs going on at all times.

This simply begs the question - With server transfers coming in the near future (I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be here as of the late January update), could we all please agree to transfer to a few servers? Server outfits are perfectly capable of organizing server-wide continent days. Why can't we organize a server-wide transfer day? If SOE doesn't want to merge servers, we could just deal with the community-perceived problem on our own.

The purpose of this thread is not to argue about where we might end up if forumsiders united to get the word out as much as possible to transfer to a certain place. Instead, I want to hear opinions. Does this sound like a viable idea? I mean... why NOT? Wouldn't the game be a lot more fun if the server was busy enough to populate all 3 continents? Wasn't the huge 1-day population buff that we got during the UES fun? Discuss.
  2. 7Elite7

Would like to bump this. Considering that posts in which people say "wat is wepon store how gett it" get at least 10 posts, I'd appreciate some attention given to a legitimate idea.

That and the fact that this post has 23 views and 0 replies. Yarp.
  3. Duvenel

The logistics of this would make it unlikely to happen. There's the problem of, "I want to move to another server, but what about my stuff?...". Hence server transfer tokens.
  4. 7Elite7

This idea only works after transfers are out. But as I said, they're due out any day now.
  5. Duvenel

Be that as it may, another problem I could see is what about the people left on the servers which people are emigrating from? Quiet server minus more people = dead server? Just a thought.
  6. 7Elite7

Yes. Unless global population encounters a surprise spike, the current number of servers is unrealistic. The idea here is that we as a community kill off dying servers and create vibrant ones.
  7. Forsakened

Personally I feel the content population is a issue although I think you are going about it all wrong. Currently what you have or what I have noticed so far is the TR and NC both sitting around 40% and the VS around 25% varying on times but during peak hours these stats are pretty true.

These stats have only been dropping since the release of patch 2 and the new continent pop exp bonus as the VS are just outnumbered everywhere and when every they do go somewhere it is generally a off continents due to the fact they can not compete with the mass zerg's of the other two empires.

But that is just my two cents on the issue.
  8. Buntfunk

OK, let's do this. 3000 active players may transfer to Cobalt NOW. Not more though, k?
  9. 7Elite7

As a Helios Vanu player, though our team often sucks and gets nearly gated on Indar, it is not for lack of population. We usually stay above 30%. Furthermore, just a sidenote, I do not understand the whole various rationales for why VS populations suck on some servers. Maybe some people just left and the population passed a tipping point beyond which everyone followed. But on Helios, we certainly have not had any problems like this.
  10. NavSpec

Our outfit has already been discussing doing exactly this sort of thing. The issue comes up primarily that what about those who cannot afford the paid server transfers. We have to leave them behind if we're going to leave Helios.
  11. Gisgo

Transfers arent going to be free.
    You are asking players to pay because SOE cant be bothered to merge servers.