Infantry Render

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Brewergamer, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Big Cyz

So the official line is 'it wouldn't be fair'

What a joke.
  2. Syphers

Then introduce 2 servers types, for medium-high end pcs with a true render and one with the current render. Whats the point of making a mmo if you dont let the players experience MMO scale battles properly
    • Up x 2
  3. siiix

this is really weird ,,, WHY DONT I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ???
    not kidding i never saw this rendering problem in my computer... so there IS i way of making it work !
    i can see enemies from many many times that distance and not once i saw one just desapear like that no mater how far

i also played 140hours so far, so its not like i would not notice something like that
  4. Gisgo

Because:
    a) you didnt notice
    b) you stay away from huge battles
    c) your server is very low pop and/or you play during low pop hours
    d) you got a magical computer that forces PS2 code to render everyone, if this is the case, i want that too.
  5. siiix

i assure you none of this is true , i play on waterson and i go zerging every day with usually HUGE group, we have battles both in bases and in the open, i not once saw a group or single player just disappear on me like that

when we approach a tower i can see soldiers from a distance where they only a few pixels big

i will make a video later today or tomorrow and post it as proof
  6. Gisgo

You cant make a video proving a problem does not exist, you can only make a video where the problem doesnt appear, and assume it does not exist.
    You dont have to take my word for it, check the MANY threads about it, and the DEVs interviews about it, the problem can not be solved client side.
    Maybe, in the future, who knows, not at the moment.
  7. Rak

I was watching this and immediately after hearing that absurd answer I said something in the chat to the effect of "rather than punish us players with good computers, how about simply making extremely low poly models for the crappy computers to render so all of us can render everyone and have the epic battles you promised"

It's absolutely ridiculous that we can't get the battles on the scale we were promised because some people have bad computers.
    • Up x 1
  8. vani

This is increidbly unfair. Shame on you SOE.

You mean like how it is already only vice versa? Lol yeah because that makes sense. If that's your attitiude why aren't you playing an infantry only game?
  9. Buntfunk

While I share your sentiment I would like to point out that this has nothing to with old graphic cards but old cpu's. Low poly rendering solves NOTHING and you would know that if you had actually listened to anything being said. The amount of information generated by a player entity is too much for older cpu. That is why they are turned off server side. They do not exist for, they are not just invisible. Most graphics card could handle rendering hundreds of players just fine. That is not the bottleneck!
  10. Dakraken

I've added a request in the Suggestion forum to at least change the render logic so that it keeps any infantry visible to you once you have "seen" them. This would at least prevent the blinking in and out issues. If they die and respawn or get more than 1 hex away, drop them from the render list, but once seen I should be able to keep my eye on someone until I think they are not a threat.
  11. moooosa

You're right, however, I have to point out that the issue here isn't that it's impossible, it's that SOE's code isn't pulling it off. Rendering could be much better (in theory) even on older CPUs.

I don't think it's wrong to continue to put pressure on SOE to improve the issue. I don't really care if it's "hard" to pull off. The game needs it.
  12. Buntfunk

By all means, pressure them as hard as you can. Maybe this trainwreck can still be saved. I do not see that happening in the foreseeable future though.
  13. Brewergamer

Yea like I said earlier:

Thing is, he quoted "it's not fair if someone you can't see is shooting you." Well.. This already happens. So yes indeed it isn't fair and their player model should render.

It sounded to me like he assumed that we don't have the issue where we can STILL get shot at by people that we can't see or haven't yet rendered, when we very well in fact CAN and it happens ALL the time. It is not an issue of fairness because this already happens, I'm surprised they haven't noticed that yet and quite somewhat disappointed that they don't even acknowledge that.
    • Up x 1
  14. hostilechild

UM, but they did fix it on Connery :p

And so far its working great and i am having 0 fps issues, if anything the game is smoother than every last couple days.
    So, so much for they won't/can't fix it and low end machine in all these posts issues. As they fixed it at least on 2 servers they are testing it on.
  15. Blazini

I play on Connery with a very good machine it still sucks.. SOE dropped the ball...If i could get all my money i spend on parts and SC i would forget about this game lol.
  16. iEatGlue

This just in!

SOE makes a game promoting huge battles and advanced server architecture/technology that can handle thousands of players battling each other simultaneously. But because of server/client/performance/(insert bs excuse #1,001) limitations, a player cannot render those thousands of players, effectively making those huge battles a moot point.

Moral of the story? Bigger is ALWAYS better...
  17. Brewergamer

We are not talking about fps issues, please read a post before you respond. We are talking about how it will not render 100% of all infantry in 1 area if there is a large amount of them.
  18. hostilechild

Maybe i left that part off :eek:

I can render on Connery on Indar in large battles 100vs100 types everything out to roughly 500m infantry and vehicles on Indar just fine lag free. The exception being a tower being spammed by a dozen libs and tanks, the explosion made pretty much everyone there shake non stop and get 'video bugged with the no render at all white clipping issue' off and on.
    And as above it had 0 difference in my fps, if anything it was better than pre GU2. very smooth play, my entire outfit was fine. I was sniping moving targets at 250m and still targets at 400m.

(this is one of the infantry render test servers btw, come check it out)
  19. Munq

I'm starting to think the "player CPU is the bottleneck" is all a sham. What I think the bottleneck is, is the server capacity. My performance doesn't decrease all that much when more players appear.

What I think is that the render optimization is actually network optimization. Problem is not your computer not rendering the players, problem is that your computer is not receiving any data by which to render stuff on your screen. As the number of players on certain grid increase, the amount of data needed to be sent to each player increases. Now what the data contains exactly, I do not know. But I think we can assume it contains at least these: Location, type, name, direction, action, loadout. This may not seem much at first, and it might not be much, but when you multiply it several HUNDRED times, you can see it actually matters. To me this seems the amount of information what you see in a game like EVE online for example. Now EVE struggles in its network performance during large fleet battles. There is simply too much data to be sent to each and every player for the bandwidth to handle. Their solution was time dilation where they make everything play out in slow motion. This probably would be bad idea for PS2 and I'm not suggesting anything. Just saying that it is more probable that PS2 servers and/or network are the issue, not individual CPU.

I mean, why would developer in his/her right mind create a wonderful and beautiful game environment with awesome graphics only to strictly restrict it because players are playing on their moms laptops? This doesn't make any sense. It would make sense only if they made it possible for people to run it in some sort low poly, super high performance, super ugly mode. Do people really think that they are doing stuff like this out of good will and equality for all? Personal computer performance has always been every players own concern first and when developers wanted to make it possible for players to make the game run faster they've added options for the players to fiddle around with until they're satisfied with the performance.
  20. Brewergamer

Lol this is a good example as to how the rendering is in Planetside 2: