question on supressors

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ArcKnight, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ArcKnight

how much bullet velocity is reduced exactly by attaching the suppressor
  2. Goodnight

On smgs and scout rifles... quite a bit. On sniper rifles with high velocity it isn't that much but really depends on range.
  3. TheCF

The most problematic bit is that the loss of velocity means an increased bullet drop, making distant targets really hard to hit.
  4. drNovikov

Almost twice, according to bullet drop.
  5. Rhumald

I should first like to ask which gun you want to attach it to:

If it's a sniper rifle, I'd forget the suppressor, unless you really don't mind re-learning your gun, because in those 8-12* scopes, or anywhere above 150m you'll start noticing things become allot more difficult, keep in mind most infantry will start rendering within 450m, which may put things into perspective there.

For any other weapon, if you don't want to show up on the minimap, and are ok with taking 1 or 2 extra bullets to kill something, take a serious look at initial bullet velocity; if it's anywhere from 500-600 m/s, you shouldn't notice enough of a difference for it to make it any harder for you to hit things, but below that you could start missing a whole lot more than you usually do at even just 100m. Here's the Google doc you can reference for bullet velocities, among other things.
  6. illgot

For an SMG it makes little difference because you will be shooting at less than 40 meters.

For anything further you will have to compensate but you can only do that by learning how to lead your target with that specified weapon. I am not sure anyone here can give you numerical stats on the velocity change.
  7. Jex =TE=

Infantry render at 300m.
  8. Lakora

Nope that's completely wrong with the render changes they can render to up about 450-500m at the crown during prime time. o.o

EDIT: ONLY APPLIES TO MILLER EU & CONNERY US AFAIK CURRENTLY... But else you're still kind of wrong since it all depends on the amount of people around you.
  9. Jex =TE=

Nope the max render distance on infantry is 300m unless something changed in the last patch. Easy way to test it is to see at what point the disappear when you'r miles out in the open and then put a waypoint marker on it.

I've done it - it's 300m
  10. Lakora

Right now I got about 600m between me and those I can see at this very moment (Dual screen ftw) but I am on Miller where they've applied the change to render distance. Previously I could easily see people at 400m+ if I didn't have friendlies around me just me, my rifle and my enemy.
  11. Jex =TE=

AFAIK render distance is a set thing that cannot be changed. I've done the measurements and we obviously disagree (and I can't talk about the new ranges because i'm not on that server) have you used the waypoint to measure it too? - I don't think it matters that much now though as it looks like they're changing it which is great - I wonder though once they up it, how many complaints we have when a liberator can attack from twice as high (or more) than before?
  12. Lakora

Aaah, that's where you're wrong. ^^ The Render distance is not set in stone... Well kinda it has a fall off range so to say.

Lets say you're all alone in the middle of nowhere you'll have an infantry render distance of about 4-500m now if more people join you that distance will drop. Basically how it currently is that the server only reports X amount of people to your client. Now I'd assume that includes friendlies as well, so lets say that X = 100 now if you have 75 friendlies and 50 enemies you'd only be able to render 25 of those. Now at that point the system tries to calculate who are the most dangerous targets, usually that means those closest too you. Which in turn means that you'll only render those that are closer to you, now another thing being that it can only render X amount of people over Y range so to say. So in the example if you have 75 friendlies in an area of 100m around you... You'd only be able to render to about ~200m.

Tech plants used to be a prime example of this limitation when you had hundreds of allies behind you and only 50 hostiles for intsance. You'd run in and die to invisible enemies cause for some reason it prioritizes friendlies to render. Which means that while you can't see them cause you're rendering your allies first and foremost they can still see you since they have fewer people which in turn means they got a longer infantry render distance.

I hope it makes sense since I did "dumb" it down, else I would of been talking in code. xD Litterally in code, not to hard to write I'd say.
  13. Tyzh

So, nobody has any particular numbers as to how much the suppressor slows the bullets down?
  14. hostilechild

On connery Indar with test render patch, its 450m (waypoint verification).
  15. Calisai

They applied the render patch to Mattherson as well. Last night I was getting headshots at around 350-400m.... was also playing around with suppressor vs non... it's a dramatic drop at the 300m distances (from 1 to 1.5 mils to about 4-5 mils for the VS Parallax)

Personally, I've found that the Suppressor is only good for medium work.. where most shots are < 150m or so. (which is when you'd most likely want to stay off the mini-map anyway)
  16. ArcKnight

so does it reduce tracers ?
  17. Zinus

no. that's the biggest reason why i don't bother with suppressor when sniping.

in mid/close ranges suppressor does wonders tho.

edit: i basically started to play this game again just because SMG+clips+bullets+suppressor. so i could like infiltrate *GASP*
  18. illgot

it maybe useless at more than 150m against the group you are shooting at, but it is very useful masking your location if an enemy is running around.

I've been shocked at how often an enemy just runs right past me because I have a silencer equipped and using it at 250-300m.
  19. Jex =TE=

Cool - how's it playing out and do you know if the last hotfix added this? I haven't played for a week but got on yesterday for a few hours (oh the fights at the crown again and nobody on the other continents) and it was busy so people were rendering at 30-50m. Moved to hvar and had a much better fight there (i think the base was capped back and forth 3 times).
  20. Jex =TE=

At that range you are a tiny pixel - how is that running right passed you?