[NC] Best semi-auto stealth rifle

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Troubleshooter11, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Troubleshooter11

Greetings folks,

Question to all your NC freedom fighters out there. I often run with a small outfit squad and i would like to give them some scouting intel and stealthy covering fire. Now i am talking about ranges that are too close for me to be comfortable with a bolt-action rifle, as my aim is not good enough for it. Yet not close enough to switch to a SMG.

So i was thinking maybe a quick firing semi-auto rifle that can mount a suppressor would be just the thing i need. Are there any rifle recommendations for this type of gameplay?
  2. Deschain

Stalker or Shadow
  3. MrIDoK

Don't get the full-auto scout rifle, it's just a weaker carbine.

Both the semi auto scout rifle (the Shadow) and sniper rifle (Impetus) are good at what you want, but with slight variations:
    - the sniper rifle has more damage than the scout rifle (400 [3stk] vs 334 [3stk] max damage, 334 [3stk] vs 250 [4stk] min damage);
    - the scout has better hipfire (half of the sniper);
    - the scout rifle can equip a NV scope, a laser sight and a 6x optic (the sniper can't)
    - the scout rifle costs 1000 certs, the sniper rifle 500;
    - the cof bloom is way higher on the sniper rifle (1 vs 0.125 per shot);
    - the sniper rifle shoots 3.85 shots per second, the scout 4.35;
    - both have 10 shots in the magazine and 40 spare;

So, the Shadow costs more, has less damage per shot and uses more ammo to kill, but the Impetus has less versatile attachments and is then less effective at pure cqc.
    For a medium-range weapon are both good, but i'd go for the Impetus if you don't plan on buying the rifle with SC. The 500 certs you save can then be used for something else.
  4. JackD

Wasted 1000 certs to buy the Shadow and then i wasted even more certs trying to make it usefull, but it isn´t.
  5. applecherry

The only stealth gun is whenever you add a silencer to your current weapon.
    There are only 3 choices for semi autos. The scout, spr and impetus. What you need to consider is the scope available to them.

[IMG]
  6. Aalbatross

Impetus!

If you're close enough to want the hipfire bonus for the Shadow, you should be using an SMG. Impetus with 3.4/4x scope is a great DMR weapon.
  7. Dalistro

MrIDoK has some good info.
    Also note the scopes for the impetus also go cloaked with you. Whereas the shadow has the option for the NV and 6x scope which don't get affected by the cloak (not entirely sure if this applies to the 6x). Also the scout semi has no sway.

I have a impetus with 2x reflex and silencer.
    I regret buying the impetus since I find it hard to line up the hs quickly after decloaking. But if your quick at it then this gun will suit you well, perhaps I just need more practice!
  8. MrIDoK

Yup, i forgot about that. The NV scope is the only one not affected by cloaking (the 6x is not, unfortunately), which is a good advantage.
    The sway is not something that important on a medium range gun, after a while you don't even notice it's there. ;)

Headshotting after decloaking comes with practice, but there's a tip: decloaking takes a second where the cloak gradually disappears. This gives you enough time to make small corrections to your aim before shooting. Obviously practice is needed, but it's possible.
  9. Lakora

Another thing is dunno if anyone can confirm but the Shadow seems to have slower bullet velocity than the Impetus... As in I notice more bullet drop at range with the Shadow than with the Impetus. Could just be my imagination though.
  10. MrIDoK

The Impetus has 500 bullet speed and 7.5 drop (yes, those are separate stats) while the Shadow has the same speed but 11.25 drop.
    Probably they wanted to make te Shadow more of a close range gun while the Impetus shines at mid range.

btw, the source is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&type=view&gid=12
  11. Lakora

Huh, so I was imagining things. :D Wait what? Having more drop but same speed... Eh... I wonder if SoE know and understand physics... :S
  12. VoidC

More damage at same speed and lower "bullet mass" is just nonsense. :D
    I'm not trying to say here RL physics are required for a game, however some tendencies would be nice, since there are at the same time kind of counterbalanced. No new physics are required just copy paste from RL, adapt it to an extent with respect to science fiction and this is it.
    Game industry (simplified): bullet time life X, damage Y, speed Z. and all these stats are just put somehow together without any background. RL has its own balance. No need to copy it, but still its a good example as a reference.
  13. Lycanton

ive found the smg really usefull with advanced laser silencer and soft point ammo and ive tried the stalker which is also really good for stealth missions. with stalker id recommend.... Forward Grip, Silencer and 1x scope
  14. Ghoest

You can put the IR scope a Shadow.
  15. Ghoest

Actually plenty of real life guns have different drop but the same muzzle velocity.
  16. Tnsr

More important: Impetus has scope away and it is only useable in medium-long ranges.
    Like every semi automatic rifle in the game it is somehow underpowered compared to the automatic rifles, I really like to see some stats about their useage. And with underpowered I don't speak about the damage it deals with a bullet. Bullet damage is irrelevant if you don't hit the target (main problem of the NC design), and I think my aiming is pretty much spot on after 20 years of ego shooters.
    If you try to hit moving targets with a swaying scope and HUGE recoil after every shot you won't have much fun, but it is great to hit that last hit or the first head shot on a standing target when your squad approaches a target (area).
    To make semi automatics more popular we need higher bullet velocity so our aiming on moving targets can be spot on instead of guessing how much lead we need to hit and less hits to kill someone. Damage of the Impetus without scope sway, much lower recoil and higher bullet velocity will do it.
  17. klor

I also recommend the impetus.
  18. PaintedDeathAW

I use the Shadow and would not recommend the Impetus. I have a laser dot on my Shadow and it can make a world of difference in cqc. The thing has a pretty fast fire rate, so if you can click fast, then you can fire fast. If i know I'm going to be in strict cqc, I usually opt for the Stalker.
  19. MrIDoK

The recoil is perfecly manageable in my opinion and shouldn't be reduced, we're talking about a weapon that has nearly 3 times the damage per shot compared to a standard assault rifle. Compensating for the vertical recoil means "pull down the mouse" and the horizontal recoil can be easily countered with a foregrip (which is the only useful rail attachment). You just can't even think about using the rifle at maximum rate of fire beside in cqc enviroment.
    The sway is also a non-problem in close range and is easy to manage in medium range, even with a 4x scope is not that noticeable.
    The weakeness of the impetus is it's crappy hipfire accuracy, but if you are into knife range just use pistol+knife, don't even bother to go ads with a semi-auto rifle.

What i'd change is the absurd cone of fire that you have after a couple of rapid shots. You can't hit 3 times in the same spot at 100 meters if you just press rapidly even if the scope is on target because someone thought to give that weapon one of the biggest bloom increases in the entire game. Why would you do that? Higher horizontal recoil, i could bear with that... Higher recoil overall i could also bear with... but a random cof is just silly. I managed to headshot a HA while aiming at his chest... o_O
  20. applecherry

Maybe they should change the scope sway to 6x to 12x scopes and not 1x - 4x scopes. As of right now, infiltrator have swaying even with a 1x scope haha... As i play as an infiltrator 95% of the time, i am annoyed with a 1x and 2x scope sway. it severely cripple the infiltrator weapon compared to other class's guns.
    [IMG]