Surround sound in this game is awesome

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by mazopanda, Feb 10, 2013.

1. mazopanda

2. Buntfunk

So you made a stereo video to show off surround sound. Could you please make a video showing us the 3D effect of the Nintendo 3DS next?
  3. -Zlodey-

We have great 3-d positional HARDWARE surround sound once - EAX, A3D, etc.
    But this times is gone. Now we "enjoying" flat and lifeless software "sound" with no true positional 3d-sound, doppler effect, echoes and many other dead today things.
    Want to enjoy good sound? Buy old creative X-fi sound board, install windows XP (or Win 7 with Alchemy software), and search for games with EAX. Battlefield 2142, for example, or first Bioshock.

P.S. Do not buy new creative sound boards with "Z" in their name - this is useless junk with software emulation - similar to integrated sound boards.

P.P.S. Planetside 2 using SOFTWARE sound only - as all "modern" games.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jac70

To be fair the sound in the game is good but Zlodey and me have experienced what sound could be. I played 2142 for years and that game had true positional 3D audio with hardware acceleration. With a pair of headphones creating a virtual audioscape you got sounds from all around including above you. Gunships flying overhead, distant battles - saved my *** many times as a sniper, as I heard someone creeping up behind trying to get my tags.
  5. Ssential

Yeah I remember that those older games had great positional audio. What happened? You'd think tech is getting better and better, not worse :-/
  6. Jac70

The killing blow was when Microsoft removed the audio stack from Windows Vista. This pretty much killed the XFi cards and games reverted to software audio engines. The ubiquitous audio engine is now FMOD. PS2 uses it and it is decent but the surround sound in it is just 5.1/7.1 emulated stuff. It does a decent job of placing sounds in a localised position around you but it doesn't do any kind of elevation.
    • Up x 1