Tank Mines and C4 concerns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ravenclaw, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Jex =TE=

It sounds like the OP is charging in amongst the infantry - News Flash - Tanks die when they try to take on infantry by themselves.
  2. UKAvenger

Ah yes of course completely forgot that idea. Having a deployment range (mines) like we had for mines in PlanetSide would fix the issue. You cant spam your mines down at this sunderer because your too close to another mine! (also make it so you cant drop while falling through the air and problem solved.) Are they not supposed to be more of a defensive measure.
    • Up x 1
  3. kill

I hate mines in general but C4 is absolutely fine.
  4. Johnnyseven

This pretty much, C4 requires at least some input to make it kill ****.
  5. Deathcapt

2 c-4 next to a tank mine will kill anything that hits it. Very expensive, but very deadly.
  6. The King

they're fine and underpowered.
    Who thinks they're overpowered?
    Certainly not anyone who can play!

All LAs that try to put C4 on my tank, they die with ease.
    I just try to run em over, but I will miss a lot.
    Though, they will nearly always miss with their C4. lol
    In otherwords, they're not killing my tank... Of course, I can shoot at them too, but it's fun trying to run em over.
  7. Travesty

I don't understand why people want to nerf entire playstyles into oblivion. As a PS1 veteran, I spent most of my time setting up base defenses using minefields, spitfire turrets and motion sensors. I can't do that in this game because of the lack of tools. So, why do you want to eliminate what little CE there is for me to do?

Why does my playstyle offend you so, when you have so many counters to it? Must I play only how you like to play the game?
  8. Diamond Sword

Being a Magrider driver with no mines other than C4 (if you can count C4 as a type of mine) it does certainly feel that even a PROXIMITY MINE does more damage to the tank than C4. A Tank mine will outright kill me at full health without mineguard, but they even kill my brother in one hit and he has mineguard level 1. You'd think there'd be some kinda of damage mitigation from 1 mine with level 1 mineguard. Maybe not a lot, but certainly enough to survive 1 mine long enough to repair.

Another thing about tank mines that seems dumb is that they don't only detonate from vehicles hitting them. They explode like a proxy mine if infantry walk over them, too. This is the only game of this kind with both infantry and tank mines where the mine types act pretty much the same, it is only in name that they are different.
  9. Compass

1 mine does 60% damage to a tank without Mine Guard.
    1 C4 does 8)% damage to a tank.

And tank mines do not trigger to infantry.
  10. Linedan

I think that's for a Sunderer or MBT. Two tank mines will only just kill a Sunderer or MBT if it does not have Mine Guard certed, I think one level of Mine Guard on an MBT pushes the critical number to 3 tank mines. One tank mine will severely damage a Lightning but won't quite kill it.

Two C4 will leave a non-Mine-Guard Sunderer flaming and taking damage until it blows unless immediately repaired. C4 is slightly less powerful than a tank mine in terms of vehicle damage, but obviously more versatile overall.
  11. CoffeeBreak

They need to make C-4 faster to deploy and detonate. By the time I'm jetpacking over the tank and dropping the C-4 there are 5 homing missles are already killing the tank :(
  12. Diamond Sword

My mag and lightnings are quite often killed by 1 mine from full health on the vehicle spawn pads as soon as I spawn them if I spawn them from a hacked terminal in enemy territory.

I also have just been running through insides of bases, died to a mine, and it shows as a TANK MINE.
  13. TimeyWimey

1 tank mine does not kill a tank, be it a lightning or one of the mbt's. There most likely were 2 (or more) mines stacked.
  14. Compass

It shows as Tank Mine, 100%. It implies all of the damage was done by tank mines. Not that one tank mine did all the damage.

You can die from a tank mine if someone shoots it or blows it up. Same with C4, same with standard proximity mines.

If I shoot you with a pistol and it says TR-1 Repeater, 100%, do you assume that is me shooting you once, as well?
  15. Linedan

If I run up to your Sunderer, I can place a tank mine about every 1 to 1.5 seconds--there is an animation, and I have to stand still and wait for it to complete, but it doesn't take very long. IIRC the first mine will go off about one to two seconds after the second one falls out of my hands--so about a three-ish second delay in total--giving me time to get out of the lethal blast zone and only take moderate damage from the explosion. When the first one goes off, it sets the second one off instantly. So yes, we're stacking mines. Two AT mines in the same spot deploy in around two seconds and will go off simultaneously.

You can also place a block of C4 on top of a deployed tank mine and get the full force of both explosions, I think. I have set up "super-minefields" before of three tank mines with two C4s deployed on top. Now granted, that's overkill, but it will also knock down any armored vehicle except a Sunderer or MBT with the highest levels of Mine Guard. It's also 425 infantry resources so it's rarely worth it.
  16. Turelle

It's more likely 2 mines on the roughly the same spot. I've been hit by singular mines in my Mag, and 60% damage sounds about right. 1 mine does NOT outright kill a tank.
  17. Turelle

As it is, I think C4 and AT mines are reasonably balanced. I won't go into the damage stats, but their resource cost is high. You can pull a 250 vehicle resource MBT and bombard a base and kill doezens of infantry. 2 mines cost 150 infantry resources (and they get spent on med kits, all types of nades, the C4 which is 100 per and the mines which are 75 per), which will kill 2 people.

A sunderer costs 350 resources (?) but can serve as an AMS and spew limitless infantry. Again, to stop that threat, it costs 150 infantry resrouces, as well as 300 certs to get that. It costs you 50 certs for the AMS. Or 200 resources and no kill without some damge already being done to it. 2 bricks of C4 are also 700 certs.

If anything, I'd like to see C4 do much more damage to vehicles, and mines have a deployment range, but are much, MUCH cheaper to supply and have the ability to place an actual minefield without having to constantly return to the terminal. They'd ofc do less damage, but it would serve as a means to kill unwary vehicles and slow down armor pushes. They also wouldn't all explode at once when one blows up.
  18. captaincupcake

both parties bring up good points but tank mines need to be visible or at least not glitch into the ground. i have no problem with the damage because i can normally back up and avoid the second one but what i cant do is see that **** in front of me. as for c4. i think it shud matter where you stick it. less if you are on the front or sides, more for the top and back. armor ratings right? same with a sundy. i dont know where i saw the comment but someone said 2 c4 on a sundy is fine because its hard. not really. nobody wants to be that dick that blows up half his team or shoots them and gets his guns locked to stop a pesky light assault with adrenaline pump 2 c4 and maxed out jetpack running around to get to the sundy. for both items its a matter of a broken system rather than unbalanced damage.
  19. Diamond Sword

Can they put them directly on top of each other? I would think it was 2 if in all of these instances I couldn't see the mine (and that sucks when you see it as you spawn because then you know you're ******) but a lot of the time, I can see it.

I suppose it could be 1 is rendering and the other(s) are not?
  20. AnnPerkins

C4 and mines should cost the same. Either make them all cost 75 or 100 resources. And I do mean all mines.