Camoflauge is one thing...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phaze, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Phaze

Everybody looking the same, is another.

If it was some kind of infiltrator skill to look almost like another faction, I could dig that. That's cool gameplay.

When people have really cool camo and blend in to the environment... that's cool gameplay, too.

But - when some dude goes jogging past me in a building and I can't immediately recognize what faction he is because he's got blinding white camo and a bunch of patches (should've assumed VANU) - then turns around and start shooting me... and my first though it -- "why the F is this guy TK'ing me!?!?!? Oh crap, that's actually an enemy."

That's not very cool gameplay. That's just annoying confusion.
    • Up x 5
  2. Kristan

And people want camo to cover all armor parts...

When I see somebody I do a quick look at Helmet>Shoulder pads>Legs. It takes me 0,2 second to recognise shapes of the enemy and engage it.
    • Up x 1
  3. VSMars

Shoot first, ask questions later.

If you already have the guy in your crosshairs anyway, you could also try spotting them ("Q" key), see what the indicator above his head shows.
  4. SnakeTheFroski

I personally have no trouble recognizing enemies, but I think the game overall looked better in CBT before any advancing force began looking like a rainbow. A swarm of Vanguards just looks comical now, I think camo in general actually needs to be toned down.
  5. ritual

Never had any trouble with recognizing enemies but I've definitely gotten in some situations where squads of NC would seemingly accept me as one of their own until I opened fire upon them.
  6. ShadeOfChaos

I can't even tell a vanguaud and a prowler apart - but that's just me :p

I've had the same issue alot in the beginning, so I adapted a new method of gameplay, if I'm not sure I'll shoot - if there's a message not to shoot I know I was wrong and use a quickchat sorry. Otherwise I fill 'm with lead.

Now if only I wasn't a medic who gets punished for shooting teammates by gaining no healing exp... Ah well - sacrifices :p
  7. QuantumMechanic

That's how bad it is now - only 2 months after release. Just imagine all the crazy character customization options there will be in 6 months or a year or two. And that is by design - Higby has stated before that the main way people will learn to recognize friend vs foe is by their silhouette.

Yep, I'm one of them.

Honestly before I shoot somebody I'm not even looking at what color they are, I'm looking to see if they have a dorito over their head or not. And if they do have one, if it's red. That's all.
  8. Nocturnal7x

The game likes to not put doritos over friendlies head, does this cause a problem for you? lol
  9. MasterChiefette

I have no problem telling NC from TR and VS from NC. The armor gives it away always. I do not even really look at camo.
  10. Ash87

Camo holds no value what-so-ever other than looking good unless your at such a range, that it is nigh impossible for them to spot you anyway. If your in close quarters, shoot first and ask questions later, if there are people in your way, shoot them too. If your out of Ammo, cut them.

You also get an annoying beep if they were on your side, sure fire way of figuring out within the first millisecond of combat.
  11. Istrebljivach

I admit I had problem FoF recognizing in begining, Now after two weeks in game time, i have no problem :)
  12. RHINO_Mk.II

Quick rule of thumb for NC is this: If it has curves, shoot it. If it looks like a brick, don't.
    • Up x 4
  13. AnnPerkins

If someone shoots at me I shoot back and I do not miss. Has this cause me to TK some gits? Yes. Did they deserve it? Hell, yes.
  14. SharpLight

And with the spotting system totally ruined you can't even spot him before he kills you and give your teammates a fighting chance.

My God, even the most obtuse turn-based strategy games that implemented Fog-of-War (e.g. Eastern Front from TalonSoft) had automatic LOS spotting.
  15. QuantumMechanic

Never been grieflocked yet :)
  16. ZardozSpeaksToForums

Giraffes gonna giraffe.
    • Up x 2
  17. Colt556

What are you talking about? Camo doesn't do anything except make you look stupid. It in NO WAY hinders the ability to tell who you are. Unless that giant bright yellow strip right next to the snow pattern doesn't give away their faction. Or better yet, the floating red triangle above their head.

I agree. The camo patterns themselves don't look bad. But when you keep the red, blue, yellow, purple, teal, it just looks stupid and detracts from the visual experience. A vanguard in no way looks like a prowler or magrider, I don't need colors to tell them apart. What they should do is remove common pool vehicles and make camo... actual camo. Then people would actually look good instead of looking like failed clown soldier experiments.
  18. Brickwalker

if theres a cool ranch dorito chip above their head,they be friendly
  19. Zotamedu

Telling the difference between different infantry isn't that big of a deal. They can be identified by they look of their armour and not just colour.

The fact that Galaxies, Liberators, Flashes, Lightnings and Sunderers are all the same is a much bigger problem since the colours don't render at a distance. The flashes are extra annoying since the riders rarely renders. I've put rockets on friendly vehicles many times because of this.
  20. TheCF

I always look for the doritos. If there's a blue dorito, don't shoot. Anything else, shoot.
    Though, once I felt really offended. I'm playing Infil myself, and got 1HKO'd by another friendly Infil.
    It's like we can't even tell ourselves apart.

Also, during the HUD bug, having icons turned off was quite problematic. Didn't dare to shoot any shade running around at all.