Vanu SX5 SMG Stats and Comparison

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by grin, Feb 3, 2013.

1. grin

Based on data file extraction by Stormfrog on /r/planetside
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/17rj5a/from_game_files_likely_smg_stats/
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Amnj8jnZLDIOdFBVY1JMVjBHR3AzeUpMWUQ4dHlyRmc&output=html

Mods available:
    Soft point ammo
    Compensator
    Flash suppressor
    suppressor (does not appear to suppress noise yet)
    1x, 2x, IR/NV, 3.4x, 4x optics
    Extended mag(+10 bullets, it works atm)
    Flashlight
    Laser dot
    Advanced Laser dot

I personally purchased this weapon for my Infiltrator so my first comparison was against the Artemis full-auto.

SX5:
    +5 more rounds default(+15 E-mag)
    Greater Damage per mag:
    3575(5005 E-mag) vs 2860 at max damage
    2275(3125 E-mag) vs 2240 at min damage
    Greater damage per minute at all ranges(inc. Reloads, see DPM graph below):
    1.75s vs 2.25s short reload time
    .05 vs .1 ADS COF Bloom
    750 vs 652 RPM
    Out damages Artemis out to 22m(24m with SP, see DPS graph below)
    0.2 vs 0.3 vertical recoil
    Asymmetric recoil(no foregrip needed)
    2.0 vs 2.5 First shot reoil Multiplier
    .75 vs .5 ADS move speed
    1 vs 3 Stand Still Hip COF min
    1.5 vs 3.5 Stand move Hip COF min
    1 vs 2.5 crouch Still Hip COF min
    1.25 vs 3 crouch move Hip COF min

Artemis:
    143dmg @ 10m vs 143dmg @ 6m
    112dmg @ 115m vs 91dmg @ 43m
    500m/s 360m/s
    0.1 vs 0.4 Stand Still ADS COF min
    0.25 vs 0.4 Stand move ADS COF min
    0.1 vs 0.4 Stand Still ADS COF min
    0.15 vs 0.4 Stand move ADS COF min

In addition to these stats I tested the damage degradation in game and came to the following information.
    SX-5 Outputs 143dmg per shot up to ~6m and degrade linearly to 91dmg per shot at ~43m.
    I graphed the damage, Perfect DPS and Perfect damage per minute(DPM including short Reload time) over distance along side some popular Vanu weapons.

DMG - Damage per Bullet
    [IMG]
    Comments: Per bullet damage on the SX5 Degrades extremely rapidly compared to other Vanu weapons. The SX5 can quickly require 10-12 bullets to kill a non nanoweave or heavy shielded enemy.

DPS - IDEAL DPS based on 100% accuracy
    [IMG]
    Comments: SX5 Ideal DPS is not too bad in the short range, and stays decent out to about 24m with SP ammo.

DPM - IDEAL Damage per minute based on 100% accuracy and only short reloads
    [IMG]
    Comments: As you can see when bullet damage, ROF, reload time, and mag size are accounted for the SX5 is competitive or better than many popular weapons under 14-18m. With Extended mag and/or SP ammo the SX5 is in the top tier DPM in the 10-16m range and remains competitive for another 20m or so. This graph also demonstrates one of the reasons why the Artemis seems lackluster to many. It is not just sub par, it is alone in the lowest class of DPM weapons.

Personal Opinions:
    Unlike many other weapons Soft point ammo does not have as detrimental an effect as it does on other weapons. Because this weapon has a shorter maximum damage range(6m compared to 10m) than other weapons, the additional range from SP is much more noticeable. And because it already has a severe damage degradation slope, the additional damage loss at range isn't as readily noticeable.

For the ranges and purposes that I use the Artemis, I don't see any real reason to not use the SX-5. Especially if you consider the Ideal DPS and DPM of the Artemis and SX5.

However for any class but the Infiltrator there already exist superior CQC weapons, IE the VX6-7 or Serpent for LA/Eng, the HV-45 for Medic, the Orion for Heavy. These weapons will perform as well or better than the SX5 in nearly every situation.

There is one caveat to the above opinion. If you do not own any CQC weapons yet, you can essentially purchase a very effective CQC weapon for EVERY class by getting the SX5. While I think that the other CQC weapons are better, you must purchase one for each class. You could be nearly as effective with every class using only the SX5.
    • Up x 10
  2. Mrasap

Really nice, thanks! I'll still use my shotgun on my LA for cqc, but I'm sure going to try it out with an infiltrator.
  3. subz3r01337

Dem Statistics
    • Up x 1
  4. OLDGamer

Impossible to get these Stats according to the local forum crybabies the entire game is un-playable:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  5. TheRunDown

So, would you agree having 5 more bullets for less damage is a good exchange for the TR?
    I only use the SMG as a LA weapon, but the NC seem to have the best turn out for the new weapon..

I got NC Infiltrators crawling up my A-hole with the SMG. I'm sure the new graphic tweaking has made it harder to see cloaked players.
    • Up x 1
  6. skoorviel

Bump. Very informative.
  7. grin

I ran the numbers for NC and TR and plotted them alongside the VS. I don't have any NC weapons atm but the NS-11A is a good comparison against TR weapons and the Corvus or Ursa is comparable to NC weapons under 65m.

In terms of DPS the TR are a respectable distance above NC and more so against VS. However in terms of DPM(which accounts for Bullet damage, ROF, MAg size, and reload time) the TR are actually sub par compared to VS, and NC are top of the field at the moment(see DPM Comparison below). I couldn't speculate on whether or not this is intentional. While most of the weapons in game can vary greatly in terms of DPS, they are usually very close each other in terms of DPM in their class. These SMG's have a huge variation in DPM and I would imagine that it would be desirable for SOE to fix this discrepancy.

ALL SMG bullet damage over distance
    [IMG]

All SMG IDEAL DPS(100% accuracy) over distance
    [IMG]

All SMG IDEAL DPM(100% accuracy + short reload) over distance
    [IMG]

All SMG IDEAL DPM(100% accuracy + short reload) over distance: comparison with only SMG and Auto-scout sniper
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2425/smgdpmcomparisoninfil.png
  8. grin

Embedding image from above for convenience.
    [IMG]
  9. sosolidshoe

Seriously, I now feel even more duped that I used the last 700SC from my Alpha Squad bonus to buy the Artemis; "Hey dude, thanks for beta testing for us, and thanks for supporting the game right from release day, enjoy your weapon. Oh BTW, in a couple months we'll be making it totally worthless. Toodles!" :(
    • Up x 1
  10. grin

Graphing the DPM made me realize that my personal feeling, that the Artemis(all auto snipers) are sub par, were completely valid. The numbers show that the Auto snipers are not just sub-par but REALLY REALLY far below the performance of other weapons.
  11. sosolidshoe

Pretty much, and the issue is I don't see how they can fix it; if they make it better in-close, it will overshadow the SMG; if they make it better in mid-range, who'll bother with the low-mag scope semis.
  12. Fox234

I would. I prefer the semis.
  13. TheEvilBlight

The fact that they have low-scope semis is a bit of a cash grab. They're the same statline as the higher-scoped ones, but...nevermind.

Very informative. Shotgun is available for all the classes I play, so I'll probably wait for the nerfing to kill SMGs. I'm also low on SC at the moment, and not looking forward to getting extorted by paying in for a ten dollar gun. No thanks.
    • Up x 1
  14. grin

I do enjoy the Nyx over the Artemis. Not just because the Artemis feels worse but because the Nyx can actually be effective at pretty much 0-100m or so.
  15. grin

LASERS!!!
    Tested Laser dot and Advanced Laser dot.

Hipfire reticule comparison:
    Used MSpaint to measure pixel width of hipfire reticules.
    http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5365/vssx5lasercomparison.jpg
    [IMG]
    Comments: Surprisingly both laser and adv. laser have a greater proportional effect when standing and moving than when standing still. Laser Rank I while moving matches the Default Stand still accuracy, and Adv. Laser while moving nearly matches the stand still accuracy of laser I standing still. Apparently Crouching while standing still does nothing, but crouching while moving does improve the Hipfire reticule size over standing while moving.

Summary:
    In order from best to worst Hip-fire reticule size
    (Crouch Still=Stand Still) > Crouch Move > Stand Move

Hipfire Reticule matched to appropriate distance for headshots:
    Unfortunately I didn't test Crouch Moving in this one :[
    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2088/vssx5laserdistancecompa.jpg
    [IMG]
    Comments: Laser while Moving is about the same as Default while still. Laser while still is a little better than Adv. laser while moving is not quite as good as Laser while still, but still very respectable. Adv laser while still is pretty darn far.

Summary:
    In order from best to worst useful distance
    Adv. Laser Still > Laser Still > Adv. Laser Move > (Laser Move=Default Still) > Default Move

Opinion: I doubt anyone would be unhappy with the Adv. Laser. I have to play a bit more to be sure I prefer lasers over E-mag but it's looking good so far.
    • Up x 2
  16. grin

Infil Weapon Characteristic Comparison Charts! (IWC^3)

I graphed many useful stats of weapons for side by side comparison.
    In the case of bolt actions, there are a few untested values that are 0(zero) for now.
    To make everything fit into a comfortably readable scale, I had to use multipliers on some values to make them fit.
    The multiplier means that the Actual value is not to scale, but the Relative value to the other weapons IS to scale.
    For example: Magazine size(100's) means that the actual value is 100 times the value on the scale.
    Credit to the good people at ps2.dynet.com for their data extraction.

NC Infil weapons:
    [IMG]
    TR Infil weapons:
    [IMG]

VS Infil weapons:
    [IMG]
  17. Snotgurg

18. Verisimilituder

19. Jadith