U2: Physics changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HerpTheDerp, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Hosp

Known issue. There is no change from 3-5.
  2. Linedan

Well, they need to fix the full-screen sights like the IR/NV staying glued to your eye during jumping. That's what allows bunnyhoppers to keep firing with some accuracy while boinging; they never lose their sight picture and can compensate for the predictable bouncing motion of the gun. Yes, the COF is bigger, but since the sight never moves, they can still aim quite well. Can't do that with a reflex or iron sight, it's part of the gun so it bounces all over the screen and you're basically stuck hipfiring. If they disabled full-screen sights while jumping, then hopping would basically just be a defensive tactic like you're talking about. But right now, a heavy with an NV sight can jump and still be very effective at 20-50m. I mainly see it with TR using a fully-certed CARV.

I haven't seen a decrease in the height of jumps since GU2 but I've noticed taking a bit more damage when jumping down off things. Even the new spawn tubes in towers will take a bar or two of shields when I drop down.
  3. HerpTheDerp

That's because in real life when you notice you've been shot it's already too late. You're either dead or incapacitated. In PS2 it takes at least 5 bullets to die.

No it's not. You're jumping. Your hitbox remains the same. Calling jumping exploiting hit detection mechanics is like calling strafing while firing exploiting hit detection mechanics.

Play Quake 2 and you'll see hundreds of bunny hoppers.

Neither Q2 nor ARMA is PS2.
  4. Soloviev

Fall damage is an obvious one.

There is a noticeable difference with jetpack usage as well, I keep height when bursting them a lot better though it seems the take off is slower. Its almost like they added more weight to characters, movement on the ground feels different as does throwing myself around rooms with a jetpack.

I thought they did something with the mouse movement as well - negative acceleration or smoothing, but I'm not sure whether its just the physics changes throwing my aim off.

I'd love to know whether this is intended or a bug.
  5. Nulgaoh

I took a jump on the 4 wheeler that I've made 100 times before the patch, looked like I was high enough to make the jump just like before, and BOOM just at the point i was going over the missing spine. Almost looked like the picture in 3rd person view was not where the hit box is.

There is a big dino skeleton with 1 broken back spine lined up perfect to what looks like a small kicker ramp.

I know wrong kind of jump.
  6. Selerox

An easy fix would be to cause atemporary slowdown of movement speed right after a jump. That way if you're jumping over something you're fine, but if you're doing it to avoid getting hit, you'll end up in more trouble than you were to start with.
    • Up x 1
  7. raumfahrer

I never understood what people don't like about these things. Jumping and strafing and stuff is great. Your average modern military shooter is boring as sh*t. BF3 and all that cr*p. PS2 is at least a little bit futuristic and shouldn't try to be MMS f*ck. It's worse enough that we have this ADS bs.

I didn't notice any change in jumping behavior though. Only thing is the stupid fact that jumping on a vehicle kills you 99% of the time, regardless the height.
  8. Armchair

If you don't like even the negligible level of realism in PS2, I suggest going back to something more simple. Like Doom.
  9. So Many Prowlers

I didn't really find the addition of ADS to be such a bad one. Imho it adds depth to the shooting, since PS2 doesn't have gimmicky weapons like Unreal Tournament or Doom. You pretty much have "Gun that fires bullets," "Gun that fires rockets" and "Gun that fires floating energy balls" which means it's closer to MMS than to the old arcadey shooters like Unreal Tournament. You didn't get ADS in UT because of alt fires. For example Link Gun's primary fire was mid-speed projectile lasers whereas its alt fire was an instantly connecting but limited range beam that also supported teammates and vehicles. Since in PS2, you can't really have alt fires on many of the weapons, ADS is a decent addition.
  10. HerpTheDerp

Or make it so that getting shot makes you unable to jump for 1 second.