Artemis, now what is the point?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ganen, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ganen

Disclaimer: this is not a thread about how good X or Y weapon is, every comment on weapons in this thread will be a matter of fact, not of personal preference or play-style.
    This is also not a thread discussing the role of infiltrators, it is a fact that if you know how to sneak around and the limitations and strengths of the cloak, the infiltrator IS the best infiltrator, and priceless to any organized squad that is about to hit a major site.

I know, this is a f2p game, and they have to make money, and I am perfectly aware that nothing changed then from now about the Artemis scout rifle (also a problem) and its as useful now as it always was.
    I made the choice then because it was the ONLY full auto rifle available for a Infiltrator, and a must have for my infiltration missions,I trial'ed it and knew from the start it was a sub-par carbine, but again the ONLY full auto option for a infiltrator.
    Thing is it still is a sub-par carbine now that the awesome sub-machine gun is here... no changes were made to this 1000 cert/SC infiltration specialized rifle, and the sub-machine gun is superior to it in EVERY way.

so the point I'm trying to make is, do something about it... you need to tweak Artemis (and its faction equivalents) to make it worthwhile... I am NOT gonna spend SC ever again if I can expect this kind of commercial move to be made in the game to render the money I already spent completely and utterly wasted.
    • Up x 10
  2. sosolidshoe

They should really just combine the auto and semi Scouts into one weapon with select fire, and refund anyone who bought both, at least then the argument could be made that the Scouts had a role as the jack of all trades Infiltrator weapon.
    • Up x 5
  3. VoidC

TTK: Artemis < Eridani
    COF Hip: Artemis < Eridani
    Ammo: Artemis < Eridani
    COF ADS: Artemis > Eridani
    Velocity: Artemis > Eridani
    Artemis is better at range.

Personal preference.
  4. Ganen

guess the disclaimer didn't help as much as I'd wanted it to...
    "artemis is better at range" IS a personal opinion/preference, the weapons relative use for each player is irrelevant to the discussion.
    it is NOT better at range AT all for me and I didn't even have scope with it for example.
    and even if it were, no infiltrator in his right mind will take the artemis for anything BUT CQ engagements, as we have bolt action and semi auto sniper rifles for mid-long range purposes.

also the Artemis small clip makes ANY auto weapon in the game "better" at range (the SMG can get up to 35 per mag btw), regardless of those stats because people always miss allot more than they hit.
  5. Sumguy720

I agree. I have A 4x scope on a semi-auto rifle that I used for mid range combat, a sniper rifle that I use for long range combat, and the artemis for close range. The only reason I spent certs on the artemis was because it could drop a guy reliably with (what seems like exactly) one full clip at less than 15 meters.

I have tried using the artemis at range and it is horrendous compared to the semi-auto two-to-three hit kills of my other rifle. The artemis has no place in my arsenal now with sumbachine guns available.
    • Up x 1
  6. nkenny

Get this, as indicated by Friday Night Ops, there will be more SMGs added to the game. I imagine one of the new SMGs, if not all of them-- I'm looking at you RAMS .50-- will somehow be better than the current ones.

It is a never ending money drain; that is after all SOE's business model.

-k
    • Up x 1
  7. Eigetsu

artemis will be buffed or smg nerfed when everybody waste your certs and SC on this new toys. just wait.
  8. tugernut

im at the point where i probably wont buy anymore weapons, they just come out with something better a few weeks later anyways.
    since im VS/TR i had to buy a bolt action for long range sniping
    then for my vs i bought the nyx for short - mid range
    then the artemis came out soo i had to get it for cqc ( and the one for mt tr but i cannot remember its name )
    now today i trialed the smg and yea my cqc rifles are crap in comparison, so now i either buy them or im not as effective.

sucks too bc its come to where if im not flying , infiltrator is the only class i really get that thrill of playing feeling now.
  9. The King

zNever buy anything again, lol...
    They will add new **** to the game which may or may not be better than what they currently have out there now.
    Anyone with a working brain knew this. I use the phantom for my CQC shiz and will probably get the SMG sometime later or soon.
    Maybe not, I'll have to trial it. Will they release something better than it later? Of course they will. I trialed the Artemis and I liked it a lot. BUt, I waited for a sale to come on. Never happened....
  10. Village

Yeah it is quite ridiculous.

Artemis:
    20 round magazine
    143 damage per bullet
    2.25 second short reload, 3 second long reload
    No option for extended magazine.
    652 rounds per minute
    Recoil 0.3 up, left and right
    100 round ammo pool

Eridani:
    25 round magazine
    143 damage per bullet
    1.75 second short reload, 2.85 second long reload
    Can have extended magazine for 35 rounds
    750 rounds per minute
    Recoil 0.2 up and to the right
    125 round ammo pool

Why would there be any reason at all to use the scout rifle over the Eridani now? At medium-long range you'll need a reload before you manage to kill a target, and you wouldn't bother wasting the tiny ammo pool.

They should have less recoil, 698 rate of fire, and 30 round magazine by default with a larger ammo pool, possibly 150 same as carbines.
    • Up x 3
  11. Slight Remorse

My Infiltrator currently has the SOAS-20 (TR's equivalent of the Artemis) as primary weapon. While I can say the weapon -can- indeed kill pretty much any infantry (besides MAX), compared to the SMG it's kinda lacking. What really disappointed me was realizing now that they share the same damage. So what exactly does the SOAS-20 have to offer more? Perhaps just that slightly better accuracy at range. But that's about it.

Perhaps if it had a few more rounds in the magazine or the damage per bullet was maybe a bit higher then it would've been a nice alternative to the SMG that offers something different in it's own way. The SMG would still be better at close range, considering the faster rife rate, the extended magazine, the faster strafe in ADS mode and everything else it has, but atleast it will have something less then the Scout Rifle that's worth 1000 bloody certificates.
  12. JonboyX

People (NC) I talked to yesterday pretty much said that they universally loved the new SMGs, and that they're still accurate even at range. It might be specific to the NC variant, but I am more cynical in my thinking - if you put a new gun out there that is better than the other offerings, suddenly people start spending SC.

Out of principle I'm gonna wait to see whether the price changes or the nerf bat takes a swing in the next two weeks.
  13. Kaska

Playing enough with the Artemis I know at which range it's better than the Eridani. Enough times in the last two days I was like: "I could have killed him with Artemis" because SMGs at same range are like throwing marbles at the enemy. Granted, I use Suppressor on my SMG but so have I used it on Artemis.

Artemis has more range than Eridani but SMGs are better in CQB than Scout rifles.
  14. Ganen

and not to forget the icing on the cake, the eridani can use soft point ammo.

seems most people seem to believe SOE is doing this purposefully to nag money, personally don't think; believe this is the case, as I really never noticed any other similar case, I think they truly want to give options of weaponry with different approaches or variants for different purpose weapons, and they simply neglected the fact that infiltrators specifically suffered from being forced into getting the scout rifle for CQ when they created this new option.

I always understood why infiltrators couldn't get shotguns or larger dps weapons like machine guns and assault rifles, they have a good means to get undetected behind enemy lines and kill multiple soldiers completely unaware if they had such weaponry, but I never liked the fact the artemis wasn't even a proper carbine (solstice or faction variant), a carbine is hardly a devastating weapon, but now a SMG is arguably better for the purpose, and the artemis is still worse than a carbine, and that makes no sense.

I think good suggestions to tweak the artemis were made, give it a standard 30 bullet mag, make it the lowest recoil/spread rifle in the game, and possibly give it the long range bullet speed ammo (to compensate for silencer) and the 1000SC it costed would still be worth it (as with these changes it actually becomes a decent multi-purpose low-mid range rifle) while the eridani will only out perform it in close quarters.
    • Up x 2
  15. Antich

Well, i have the same problem with the stalker. Took me a century to grind 1k certs for it, 230 or smth more certs more after and now they make the smg better in every possible way. I know they need to make money but hell, weapons in this game are supposed to be sidegrades, you win some you loose some.
  16. evansra

I play NC and also bought the full auto scout rifle, i feel it needs to be made better to balance with the smg's. feel like i waisted money atm :(
    • Up x 3
  17. Grotpar

They should buff the scout rifles.

Turn them into medium range rifles.
    Compared to SMGs: Worse in close quarters, better in medium and long range.
    Compared to iron sighted sniper rifles: Better in close quarters, roughly equal in medium range, worse in long range.

Scout rifles are already better at range, but they need an additional push into that direction.

Also, magazine size and total ammo carried for both increased by 50%.
    • Up x 2
  18. ISKNausicaa

This is exactly what I'm expecting from the new smgs, this is duplicating exactly what happened with the bolt action rifles, which were one straight upgrade after another X98<V10<Parallax (vs), the upgrades might beep small but they are upgrades.
  19. Extremite

Would people be more content if they just upped the magazine capacity in the scout rifles by 10? Make it a 30 round weapon instead of 20? That would give it a higher damage per magazine rating than the stock SMG's while still maintaining their better damage at range.
  20. grin

I'll just leave this here:

Eridani + E-mag gives better effective DPS at all ranges assuming you can hit.
    No e-mag it's still more effective DPS at most ranges assuming you can hit.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2