Is my graphics card holding me back?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Guyton, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Guyton

I know the recent release is definitely the most horrible time for me to be testing a new machine on the game. I'm hardly getting any frames at all, 5-10 at times. I was planning on heading to replace the graphics card its definitely weaker than the one on my laptop. Was wondering if anyone can give me any feedback.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_rtm.120725-1247)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: h8-1414
    BIOS: v8.09
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 10240MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 10032MB RAM
    File: 2319MB used, 12575MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

Vid is a AMD Radeon HD 7450 (1GB) , definitely not the best around either.

Thanks for the feedback
  2. dr_Fell

Press alt+F in-game, look if the indicator shows if You are CPU or GPU bound. Experiment with settings, read forum - there are plenty of topics on how to optimize FPS depending if You are CPU or GPU limited.
    Today is bad day to check Your performance, many users expoerience terrible performance problems. But don't expect wonders with that GPU, also Your CPU won't do wonders if SOE would not improve the way PS2 uses multi-core CPUs. You can eventually try some OC (watch the temp!)
  3. Zecthans

I believe its your AMD FX 6120. It uses the Bulldozer Architecture , which is way under par compared to a i5 for gaming. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD FX-6120 Six-Core. Well , it could also be your graphics card too, its an older card. Not trying to be mean. Giving you a honest Assessment. If money is an issue I'd wait till some of the newer proccessors and graphics cards go on sale at newegg.com.
  4. StrikerSix

Yea they really screwed up the FPS with this last update. If it was working ok before then it shouldn't be a problem, I think these problems are on their end. Let's hope they actually fix these problems. I'm starting to worry they are just going to screw up a good game more and more.

btw you can use nvidia video cards with AMD and no problems
  5. dr_Fell

FX series overclock quite well, my buddy has 3,6 FX-4XXX that is overclocked to 4,6 and stable. 4,6 Bulldozer should run this game quite well, especially with shadows disabled. I run this game quite playable (no less than 35 FPS) before patch, on Phenom II x4 3,8. OCed FX will be better. and it would be even better If SOE managed to really improve performance someday.
    As for the GPU - If chart below is true then I doubt It will run this game fine anyday
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon HD 7450
  6. StrikerSix

7. Guyton

I upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 650, frames are now 50-60 and 30-40 in battles. The game says my CPU is good and the GPU is still the bottleneck.
  8. BenYeeHua

Did you using newest driver?
  9. Zerk

The GTX 650ti or 660 would of been better choices.
  10. TheAppl3

I agree with Zerk that the GTS650, while a decent upgrade compared to the 7450, is still somewhat weak overall. A 660 would have been significantly faster.
  11. Guyton

I Updated the drivers but didnt tweak anything
  12. ComradeWinston

I'm running off an i7 and have a 680 Nvidia. Now there's plenty of stuttering, which is presumably lag, and just overall it performs worse than it did before.

It couldn't possibly be a problem with hardware for me but you obviously have very dated hardware, which unless you plan on only playing low fidelity games or ones made a year or two ago, you need better hardware. A good i5 CPU(which means you'll probably have to get a compatible motherboard as well) and a card upgrade would probably solve your problem for now; Nvidia seems to be the best(driver support>hardware) safe option, especially for lower grade cards. A 600 series or a pair of 500s would probably suit you just fine.

But like I did, I'd say a serious investment now saves money in the future.

P.S. RAM doesn't matter much at all. Unless you do stuff like make videos which I'm going to safely assume you don't do.
  13. TheEvilBlight

I have an ATI 6490M, and there are times where the Intel HD 3000 gives me more consistent performance than the 6490M. And chances are your 7450 is just a rebranded 64**.

By the way, which drivers are you using? I'm on a dual graphics computer and using Leshcat 13.1 drivers. I've had performance issues with the 12.* display drivers that deployed with the 13.2 beta 3/beta 4 release...

And amusingly I am CPU bottlenecked on my 6490M, not GPU.