So, waht SMG did we get?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Maskish, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Maskish

2 Weeks ago FNO told us we would get 2 SMGs one mid range and one CQC.

Which did get released?
  2. SenEvason

No idea, I use mine mainly for CQC, but I've seen some people use it effectively at mid-range.
  3. Maskish

mhmm, any1 else? :)
  4. Ruggle

The TR-SMG seems like a midrange weapon. pretty accurate with burstfire at midrange.... actually its my favorite weapon in cqc and mid :)
  5. Aghar30

they are supposed to be cqc
  6. JP_Russell

I don't remember anything about close range and mid range variants.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tyzh

Mine doesn't feel particularly adapted for use outside of as cqc bullet hose. (A good bullet hose, at that.)
  8. Monnor

Used yesterday the new one, works on mid range too, but i need a extended mag.
  9. Ghroznak

The TR one, Armistice(?) is decent at close range and can also do some long mid range shots. (edit: I meant mid range, not long range :) )

However, it pales in comparison to the Jaguar Carbine which is both more accurate and (in my opinion) much better overall weapon for close and medium ranges. I played Light Assault alot and I compared to the guns this weekend. I found the SMG to be lacking compared to the Jaguar.

One of the shortcommings of the SMG is running out of ammo, both your clip as well as your total ammo capacity. You have 30 rounds and those are spent quite fast. The reload, while faster than Jaguar, is not very fast so you are quite exposed if you don't finish your target with one clip (this is especially true against Heavy Assaults). The result is being forced to pull out the pistol rather than reload. Also, you have a total capacity of 150+30 rounds as standard. Personally I have 210+30 since I upgraded the ammunition belt/suit. This helps, but still the Jaguar performs better since it drops the targets more effectively and accurately.

I just upgraded the SMG with extended magazine which brings it up to 40 shots per clip rather than 30. This might help but I haven't gotten to test this out yet. Will give some feedback once I got to test it with the extended magazine.

The final thing I find to be annoying (perhaps I am biased though from being used to the Jaguar) is the recoil / kickback on the SMG. It gets very inaccurate quite fast when firing, forcing you to burst-fire at ranges where the Jaguar still performs accurately on full auto.

Class summary:
    • Light Assault - Jaguar will still be the weapon of choice.
    • Heavy Assault - there is no sense using the SMG since the LMG's outperform them in both damage, suppressive fire and total ammo capacity anyhow.
    • Medic - there is no sense using the SMG since the assault rifles perform much better for the medic role (which should be staying just behind your other buddies anyhow). That, and the TRV / TAR rifles for TR medics are fantastic close quarter guns anyhow.
    • Engineer - Jaguar will still be the weapon of choice.
    • Infiltrator - Now, this is the interesting part... the SMG is available to ALL classes except the MAX. This means Infiltrators can also use it. Since the shotguns were removed for Infiltrators the only real close quarter guns we had were pistols, the semi-auto rifles and the full-auto one that runs out of ammo in 2 seconds (forget the name of it). However... using the SMG with suppressor, I managed to rack up quite alot of kills. So for infiltrator I would have to say it is a very viable weapon, especially in places such as BioLabs and other close range areas where snipers prove inadequate.
    Overall:
    Not too impressed with the SMG. But that is largely because I already have a weapon that fills the role better (at least when it comes to my playstyle). By and large I will not be using it much for my main classes (LA and Medic).

I may be pursuaded to use it more if it turns out to be more reliable and capable with the extended magazine upgrade.

However, it needs to be stressed that it is a very decent weapon for anyone wanting to play a non-sniping infiltrator. Combined with the suppressor you can really cause some havoc, as mentioned especially inside biolabs, but also around Amp Stations where you get into close contact with enemies when blowing up generators and such.

I urge anyone who play an infiltrator to at least use the Trial thing and test it out for a bit. I had great success with it as an infiltrator, despite me not playing Infil much at all.
  10. Alex Heartnet

How do these things perform in comparison to the full-auto scout rifles, which are also CQC weapons?
  11. Kaindestroi

only tested TR, but it rips people apart up close, faster than the full-auto scout, and extended mag makes you able to down multiple targets while the scout suffers whit it low capacity.

the scouts are still more accurate though and outperforms them well at mid range.

personally i think i go whit the scout when sneaking around in calm locations where combat isn't fast paced and pick up the SMG when **** starts hitting the fan.
  12. Koadster

Its typical SOE, release one SMG.. everyone raves about it and quite a few people buy them.. Next update they get nerfed to make way for the 'even better' SMGs. Something ive learnt with SOE now, dont buy something straight away let it go on sale/ wait a few weeks as the new and better toy will come out.

Another example is the A2G and A2A launchers then comes along the Annihilator.
  13. Ghroznak

I dunno, for me personally the SMG wasn't an upgrade at all other than for my Infil the few times I do play Infil (mostly just for the sake of variation or fun).

As for the Annihilator... isn't it lower damage than the dedicated G2A and AV launchers? The Decimator and Shrike sure packs a much higher punch than the Lock-ons... the Decimator being the meanest of the lot (provided you can hit considering the much slower flight time).

I haven't tried the Annihilator yet... but if it does same damage as the other lock-ons then I'm surprised.
  14. Iksniljiksul

Since they get advanced laser sights, I'd say you got the CQC SMG.
  15. Weirdkitten

From an NC perspective, the SMG is great for infiltrators, a sidegrade to shotguns for heavies (since we lack a good CQC lmg), and somewhat redundant for the others. I'll stick to GR-22/GD-7F/Merc for the others, most likely. For some reason I can't use shotguns well at all, but the SMG fits me perfectly so I'll probably stick with that for close range work on my heavy.
  16. KAHR-Alpha

I've tested one on my TR infiltrator, and I'm seriously expecting a nerf for that. This thing turned my infiltrator into a hunter, never had such a high K/D before.
  17. SenEvason

I think the SMG's strength over the carbines is the low recoil. This make's it easier to land a lot of headshots on a target, where as, with carbines, that recoil can get in the way sometimes.
  18. Kurreah

The annihilator does less damage than any other launcher, and is unable to fire without a solid lock. Point it at a tank and pull the trigger: - nothing happens.
    No dodging around cover to fire, no firing at an exposed part of a partially obscured vehicle, and no firing at MAXs or infantry.

Its better in some situations, much worse in others. - A sidegrade.
  19. fastdak255

I bought the NC one. Very much regret it. Nice for bio lab fights, but that's about it. FInd myself hardly using it.
  20. Ghroznak

That is just the thing though. The TR Jaguar Carbine barely has any recoil. Certainly far less than the SMG at medium ranges. I need to burst fire with the SMG to get hits at ranges where I can still use full auto with the Carbine. Or to be more precise, I can easily keep shooting for twice as long with the Jaguar as I can with the SMG before it blooms or kicks back too much. Instead of 3 shot bursts like the SMG, I easily fire 10-15 rounds per "burst" with the Jaguar at same range.