So the new tunnels were supposed to work against spawncamping

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vibe, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Gammit

I know, how can you possibly shoot them while they're shooting you, right? :confused:
  2. MasterD

it's a start. At least it is infantry and not vehicles but it still not a fair fight... only because while getting shot out of the hole the defenders have no accuracy until a second after they land so they will just get slaughtered. I think it needs to be a stair case that goes up just like the one that goes down from the spawn room w/ maybe a shield door. Or make the lifts not affect accuracy.

I used them once to try and defend the generator. 2 people were just standing there camping. In a normal situation I probably would of slaughtered both of the individuals but I was dead before my body could hit the ground and I may of gotten 2 or 3 shots on one of them due to the accuracy because of the lift. Make us go up a staircase the attackers will still have the advantage of high ground and the defenders will have a chance to aim their weapon properly to down the attackers... Or just give us teleporters back I can kill people camping those all day because it doesn't affect my aim.
  3. Locke

The other "amusing" part of this is with the new teleporter rooms in Biolabs. When there are say 5 guys standing outside camping it and lots of defenders are rushing in all the window space in the room just fills up like crazy until you have about 20 people trying to shoot any defenders through any available window or door and no-one is willing to step outside.
  4. Deathcapt

I think the tunnels have made a huge difference in base defense.
  5. Frostical

I'd go for 3 seconds of 'enhanced shield' whenever you pass through a spawn shield, something like taking 80% less damage.

Idea being, enemies are taking a much greater risk camping the doorways as you will be near invunerable when you step out, so they will have no choice but to back off to a safer distance. You can still be killed if you are completely outnumbered as you will just take too much damage, even with 80% reduction.

Obviously the damage reduction/duration could be adjusted as necessary, but this would at least let people try to push out of a spawn room rather than just sitting behind the shields until the base flips.
  6. Phyr

I like that idea actually. Could just have the spawn shield apply a HA shield on exit, with a cooldown.
  7. Frostical

If anything I think it should be applied to the new revive/spawn invunerability mechanic too. A heavy damage reduction rather than being invincible. Gives someone more time to react but if they're REALLY outnumbered then they suffer as they should do.
  8. Vibe

Few points I'd like to clear up:
    - I know spawn camping is going to happen either way.
    - I'm not one of the lemmings that are getting farmed for going continuously out of spawn of an almost capped base, I'm one of those who do retreat to another base when the situation is hopeless
    - I was talking about giving the spawning team an actual chance at breaking out of their tunnels (while not needing a force 10x the size ) by simply switching the upwards jumppad to a stairway. Of course the spawn point would still be "camped", but now the spawning team would have a chance to break out of their spawn, rather than being pushed upwards and killed while you're still in the air and your crosshair is as large as an elephant. There's a difference between being hopelessly camped and just being locked down in your spawn room.
  9. Toshogu

Being spawn camped in.... Is the real world equivalent of having charlie in the wire, and your position completely overrun. Only an outside relief force will be able to help the defenders @ that point. Use your head. The tunnels are a great addition because now when a relief force does come in, it's much easier to retake the base.
  10. furballhero

Again, if you're backed that far inside your base, the base is lost. Time to pull back and regroup
  11. Wardancer

The problem is that there is a spawn room at all, you never spawn camp a base in battlefield because people spawn everywhere. What you do is camp the flag. This is the only way to fix it here as well. Random spawns the the focus becomes the flags and not the spawn rooms. But that creates other issues such as it being impossible to organize a breakout with maxes etc.

Do not add more places where defenders cant sit behind shields and shoot, it is a terrible design. If you want a fix it has to be some sort of random teleporters.
    • Up x 1
  12. BlPlN

What I'm saying is, it will be easier to get into that state (of being backed into the base) when one person with a MANA turret could camp the tunnel exit. It causes more problems for the defenders than normal spawn room exits because, as I said, the camper will be able to shoot the defender first, before they can even respond to what's happening, as it's difficult to reliably shoot while going up jump pads. Besides, one you are pushed out of the tunnel by the jump pad, there is absolutely no cover; you are out in the open and the most vulnerable part of your body (the head) is exposed first, before the weapon you are holding).
  13. An Hero

SOE at it's finest.
  14. Wildclaw

No, they were supposed to help you reinforce existing defense without having to run past the assaulting force above ground.
    • Up x 1
  15. Morpholine

Look at it this way:

Before, the attacker had to camp the six exits of the spawn building. Something that was easily handled with as few as 2 tanks.

Now, they have to lock down nearly a dozen exits on the spawn building alone, plus 3-5 tunnel exits scattered around the base.

It's an improvement, anyway.
  16. Wasdie

Yeah. With a static spawn system, camping is inevitable. Most games do not have this problem because they don't have as much static spawning. This is a pretty unique problem to MMOFPSs I've seen in WWII Online, Planetside 1, and now Planetside 2.

These tunnels simply make it harder for small amounts of players to camp a spawn room and thus deny the defenders the ability to defend. Spawn camping will still happen, but you'll need a significantly larger attack force to do it. At this time, if you're getting spawned camped completely in a big facility, the place is probably lost.

I can't wait until they move some more objectives into the tunnels and make them more than just for safe passage. That would really bring back the great dynamics that PS1 had.
  17. EvilPhd

Deploying this patch....