So the new tunnels were supposed to work against spawncamping

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vibe, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Madmojo

Simple fix would make some areas off limits to Mana Turrets - jump pads, people and vehicle exits, etc.
  2. schwarzklang

There should be no spawn rooms at all. All players should spawn at warpgate. That would be so cool seeing swadrons of Galaxys/Sunderers dropping their soldiers into the battlefield. No backdoorcapping possible because of the frontline and the constant reinforcements coming from the wp.
    • Up x 1
  3. DoomMaze

There are now a total of 5 exits from the spawn room....one at each end of the spawn room ...2 on the walls and one in the main base....if all those are camped then you are so over run that the base is lost...end of story. If 'all' the exits are not camped then go t one of the exits that isnt camped. I was in a amp station battle earlier that lasted longer than any base fight I've seen todate, and I've played since early November 2012.

I know its early days, as the patch has only just been released, but as far as I am concerned it's a huge step in the right direction.

Basically ..lets just see how it plays out over the coming weeks before shouting FAIL!
    • Up x 2
  4. Windchaser

Nah it's ok for infantry to spawn camp. It's how you roll in CoD. Everything is perfectly fine with the game now. Mass infantry zerging and camping with Heavies spamming rockets and LMG fire with a couple of engys farming exp with ammo packs.
  5. Dubious

Thats not a tunnel, thats a sewer, ok its the same kinda.. but you get the point..
  6. Rhapsody

Most tunnel exits are scattered around the base, so if the en imy wants to tie up THAT many people to cover them all, then there isnt that many left to actualy capture the base.

Also.. your not 'immediatly' launched up into the exit, you CAN gather up a group of players at the area beneith the grav-lift.

Can the exits be camped?.. yea... but how long does a infantry only 'camp' survive if 12 maxes jump up infrunt of them?

I'd rather have to fight past a infantry camp, than fight past a 10 tank, 6 SF and 4 Liberator camp'd doorway, while on foot.

This is also the 'first iteration' of the spawn tunnles. Im sure they will tinker with them as time goes on.
    • Up x 2
  7. NC_agent00kevin

The root of the problem is WHY we are forced to spawncamp, not that it happens. No matter where or how you exit, someone can camp it. Thats a basic of gaming. Tactical Supression.

The real problem is that when a faction obviously has control of a base, they are forced to spend 6 minutes camping the spawn and sitting on points doing nothing until the bar fills up. Im not going to arbitrarily toss ideas out about how to fix it just yet, but it IS the root of the whole problem.
    • Up x 2
  8. Nathaniak

Spawncampig occurs because bases are so indefensible. The attackers rush through and secure the base long before the cap is complete. As such, many of the defenders are still around, and want to take as many enemies with them as they can.
  9. tsubakki

note that EXP gained from spawn-camping is severely diminished, it is hardly profitable granting less than half the EXP of a normal kill, there is no way to functionally stop spawn-camping, though there are ways to discourage it, such as placing lower EXP gain on killing them,

also, is it so difficult to kill the spawn-campers and set up your own defenses around the spawn? that seems like a functional strategy to me, just as there is base offence and base defense, spawn-camping can function in both ways and i would assume there are several ways to reach a single point, for instance, say a main battle tank was pinning you down in a facility, redeploy to the nearest air vehicle supply station and take it out with an aircraft is infantry isn't working, or, if in a team, request air assistance,
  10. Revanmug

You are mistaken. It's there so you can travel to different area of the base without having to go outside. It does exactly that.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rhapsody

No.... Your not forced to spend 6 minuts camping a spawn at anything other than outposts.

At the main facilities you have something called an SCU. Blow that up.. and you no-longer have to worry about the spawn room. The problem with spawn-camping is that people would 100% ignore ALL defenders and defences and simply surround the old spawn-outhouses. This let them spend 6 minuts camping a outhouse while their other buddies destroyed/captured everything with impunity.

The tunnel system makes you actually have to DEFEND those objectives, rather than simply spamming HE at a outhouse, against players who NOW have a way to counter-attack.
  12. DoomMaze

This.....

These exits are a direct link to the defenders spawn!!...you can spew a constant stream of defenders out and overwhelm the campers, who are more than likely a much greater travel time distance form their spawn. If they do happen to have both wall spawns locked down with sunderers below, then all exit from the main base spawn and push out from there.

Having said that ...even sunderers below the wall exits couldnt maintain a camp because to equal the defenders travel time they have to spawn light assault only which would be chewed up by a group of maxes
  13. Revanmug

You are pretty damn stupid if you believe staircase "avoid" camping. If anything, it's even better to camp.

Of course, you could ask for crutch and shield it because people are just that bad.
  14. NC_agent00kevin

No...

There is no SCU at The Crown, Crossroads watchtower, etc. You are forced to spawncamp for 6 minutes. Just because some facilities have SCUs do not mean all of them do. In fact, most of them do not.

Outposts do not take 6 minutes to cap but more like 1-2 minutes. My outfit gravitates towards taking those during any assault/defense.

Small bases and medium sized bases do not have SCUs and there are many more of those than there are Amp Stations, Tech Plants and Biolabs. This is why spawncamping exists. If every base had an SCU, there wouldnt be much of an issue with it.

When you're spawncamped, the battle is largely over anyway. An SCU in every base (except outposts) would streamline capture and add more strategy than simply throwning a zerg at a base and taking it; waiting on a timer to countdown. It would also eliminate the need to base XP on lifespan and threat level.
    • Up x 1
  15. Rhapsody

Thats why i said 'except at outposts'. :rolleyes:

True, you still have to spawncamp at places such as Crown, and outposts.. but its HARDER to simply sit outside of the exits and shoot now with the changes made, even to the Outposts (and towers like the crown).

Instead of simply parking on a hill and shelling a doorway over and over and over, or standing on a platform and just waiting for a freshly spawned defender to drop down into a killing corner, you have to 'activly' defend the place your trying to take over.

This makes the game more fun in the long-run for 'everyone' as the defenders actually have a chance to fight back, rather than be stuck inside a spawn out-house with no chance to 'ever' counter-attack.
  16. Syylara

It can be said thousands more times and won't be one bit closer to being true.

3 or 4 well placed vehicles could bottle up a dozen or more people while the point was ghost capped.

Now 3 or 4 vehicles cannot bottle up a dozen or more people, you have to actually capture the base and work for it, not sit there with your thumb up your butt after blowing a few generators.

I say this as someone who spends probably 80+% of the time on the offensive. Quite frankly taking major bases became so formulaic and repetitious, I'm glad to get some chaos and action.
    • Up x 1
  17. Rivenshield

That isn't true. We did it routinely ten years ago. Band together, push down the hallways, and gun the bastiches in their tubes. Then destroy the tubes and the consoles. Then guard them until the base flips so an enemy engie can't get the base back on its feet with his glue gun.

*Multiple* spawns that can actually be taken -- perhaps each with a nearby generator that controls the door shield -- would be fun and challenging and exciting as heck. The current 'box the defenders into their invulnerable spawn-outhouse and sit around waiting until the flag turns your color' is NOT. ANY. FREAKING. FUN. It's boring and lame. It gives no possibility of heroic last-ditch recovery or joyous vindictive victory.

It's a pants-on-head ret*rded design decision that never should have been made to begin with, and I'm through being polite about it. Unfudge your fudging base design Sony! Give us the bases we saw in Alpha and stop BSing us that they were just slapped together for promo shots...! Do it NAO!!!11!!! You inflexible sons of nerf herders...!

/shakes fists in wild nerdrage

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  18. NC_agent00kevin

I do not understand why you are posting all of this. None of it addresses the issue of why the spawncamping takes place. I think you just want to argue.

Get a fouled spark plug in your car, and you dont just replace the plug and pretend it ok. The root cause of the problem still exists and will manifest itself again. (Its a metaphor, so dont give me that tired old 'this isnt the same as working on a car' BS line)

In the world of problem solving, you dont just go to the problem directly to solve it; rather, you figure out why it exists in the first place and fix it there. That way, you don't introduce new problems. Its cause and effect. You fix the cause, not the effect.

In this case, the new spawn rooms just forces us to camp further out. The players who choose to continuously spawn when its 3:1 odds still get slaughtered.

Now on to the big picture.

Tactics are whats supposed to win here, not numbers. The new spawn rooms just force you to throw numbers at at the problem, achieving the same result.

Not only this, but the players who should by all rights realized they have lost that fight are tied up hopelessly trying to defend a base that is going to be capped by the enemy. They could have been setting up defenses at the next base, preparing for the inevitable attack, but instead, they are not - they are standing in an invincibility room, waiting for someone to wander into their FOV to gain a few more XP before losing the next base.

Ive been on both sides now many, many times at BR 41. When you get pushed all the way back to your spawn room, you've lost. Adding windows wont change that. You still lose. Some people know when to quit, and some dont.
    • Up x 1
  19. Isila

As.. questionable as the tunnel design is currently, I would rather be camped by infantry than tanks and liberators. Infantry can at least be reasonably retaliated against; you can chuck grenades up through the exit tubes, or coordinate with your squad/platoon to all hit the pad at once and come up in a massive rush that can break the camp. Can't do that with HE shells and Zepher bombs.
    • Up x 1
  20. SenEvason

I think it's easier to break out of spawn rooms now with the tunnels, since the enemy has to spread itself out more to cover all the exits.