Gate rotation. The real reason NC seemed gimped and VS OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Saool, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Saool

Since the update it (at least to me) seems readily apparent that perceptions on OP and nerf are more to do with who owns which gate than gun stats. Certainly on Cobalt, the Vanu usually held Esamir, the TR held Indar and mostly the crown, and the NC Amerish.

Since gate rotation the NC seem to be dominating everything. Indar (plus crown) and Esamir in particular. The Vanu (who now occupy the gate formally used by the NC) are doing about a poorly as the NC were before (IE hardly out of there gates at many times).

This makes me wonder if it is in fact just gate location that made people see VS as OP and NC as pants? And if we should all start shouting buff VS nerf massively OP NC!!!1111one11!?

(My own) conclusion: The sides are pretty well balanced thanks. And gate rotation is a good thing.
    • Up x 12
  2. Badname82

Gate rotation was awesome. They should keep doing it every 2 months or so.

Now all those people that claimed it was TR weapon and tactics is what let them hold the crown are hiding from the forums.
    • Up x 8
  3. Kwanza

Oh yeah win gates were much talked about (at least in the outfit I'm a part of) prior to the rotation. The terrain on this game plays a huge part and of all the conts that northen WG on Indar man....Vanu Christ....
  4. Saool

Agreed. It would be very interesting to see if this pattern continues. (Admittedly one day is not a lot of data to go on).
  5. Cyridius

You realise the Crown is equidistant from all the Warpgates right? Dead centre?
    • Up x 1
  6. Ailin

Eh, I don't look at the map to decide who's OP. I look at my experience in play, and at the raw stats associated with weapons.

Yes, but not every avenue for approach is as safe/dangerous.
    • Up x 2
  7. Stordito

well the crown is still red on miller :D
    but glad NC got their chance too, really
    • Up x 1
  8. Peebuddy

We've known about this since the tech test. North > SW > SE, the north also almost always get a huge pop advantage giving them a large advantage on Indar
  9. Kwanza

Uh yeah...kinda. Terrain is a thing that exists and effects game-play greatly. For example, not everybody has almost direct acces to an amp station below the crown to get mired in...and not all factions have a massive ravine the west of their WG protecting most of their territory's and funneling attackers into two choke points.
    • Up x 1
  10. Izzy

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the new gate rotation and they should do it like every two months. It's like changing sides in Tennis (or really Table Tennis). Now comes the fun part where we claim one side of the table is higher than the other!

My complaint is going to be that the sun is now in my eyes as I leave the warpgate. It's just so unfair...:D
    • Up x 2
  11. Lucidius134

The Canyons at the northern WG increase influence on the impact site. Normally the impact site is the northern faction's unless they are underpop'd.

The Impact Site is 1 region away from the Crown.

They can lose Suarva, Dahaka or Mao and still have a clear cut path to it.
  12. Saool

Yes, and that is fair. I am just speculating if being constantly pressed back in your own gate, whilst you see another fraction running all over the map has any influence on your perception of the relative strengths of said fractions?

Were I new to the game now, following update 2, I might think it was the NC who are the best fraction and the Vanu that are gimped.

But this is not a complaint. I think its a very good thing that we get to try on each others shoes to see how we can handle it.
  13. Laey

You realise that their are only 2 way to go to the crown ? One on north side, one on south side. When we got 2 faction on south and one on north, it makes equidistant means nothing.
    Cuz when you're trying to defend it when you're from the south, you got assault by the both side.

When you defend it as a north player. It's not only that they're attacking only by south, they're coming by the same way, so they fight each other.

It explain why terran didn't has to worry to much about losing the crown on the past month.
  14. kill

Hard to say how much the gate rotation has impacted anything. Way too early.
  15. DarkestMan

it just confirms what everyone always knew. Square maps suck. northern WG on Indar is always going to be OP. NW warpgate on Esamir is always going to be UP. And amerish....well I'd have to say the NW WG is the best on amerish. More defensible with the natural push lines on the eastern side going up and down rather then west and east. Either them or the SE WG which will have an easier west - east defensive line.

On the other hand, I never really saw VS as op due to their WG position. Even on esamir they were only really powerful there because Magriders are king of Esamir.
  16. Iceuhk

" New to the SOE store. Ray-ban Sunglasses "

Tired of looking like a loser.
    Tired of the giant auraxian sun in your eyes"

Now kill two birds with one stone with the your new Ray-ban's

Ok so its not real.. b ut it could be
  17. Littleman

Square maps don't suck... requiring an empire to weave through narrow canyons before they can reach their own bases sucks.

Attacking the empire with a natural divide in terrain forcing invading forces through narrow chokes sucks (for the invaders.)

Terrain and facilitiy placement plays a huge part in "balance." Unfortunately, the alternative to this is the bland, samey crap we find on Esamir and Amerish. Once there are intercontinental campaigns, people will appreciate the map imbalances a little more. Those same canyons the SE empire have to fight through to get to their own bases will turn into solid defensive positions once they're thwarting an enemy from advancing through that very warp gate onto yet another continent.
    • Up x 1
  18. The Fizz

well, since the warpgate rotation, this is the first time i've seen nc not have control of amerish and more control on indar. I think soe may have done this so we can get a feel of what it's like to lose a warpgate? Maybe to prepare us for full continent locking...
  19. HerpTheDerp

ITT we forget that the patch also changed XP/resources so that they work on per-map basis rather than per-server basis, which means all continents are much more evenly populated by all three factions and one faction camping a continent is no longer possible.
  20. Blynd

on miller it was always indar vs - esamir tr and amerish tr - i agree that warpgate rotation should be implimented until new conts come then when a cont is locked then all warpgates become available to anyone who can breach the cont lock thus giving a rotation based on the empires decision and if you dont like it then you have to break the cont lock to get to chose your own warpgate :D

as for faction strengths id say they are all about even :D