Would this performance tweak get you banned?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by HerbertKnivez, Feb 1, 2013.

1. HerbertKnivez

4. Disabling EdgeAA shader:
    Find the "materials_3.xml" file in the graphics folder. Open it with notepad, and then search for the line that says

"<Object Class="MaterialDefinition" Name="EdgeAA" Type="EdgeAA">
    <Array Name="DrawStyles">
    <Object Class="DrawStyle" Name="Normal" Effect="Shaders\dirblur.fxo"

And delete the Shaders\dirblur.fxo bit then save.

So it will look like this....

Class="MaterialDefinition" Name="EdgeAA" Type="EdgeAA">
    <Array Name="DrawStyles">
    <Object Class="DrawStyle" Name="Normal" Effect=""

You must do this AFTER you have loaded the launchpad program. Because it will re-download the file back and set it back to default every time the launcher is started. Make sure to change "materials_3.xml" every time, if you want FXAA to be off the next time you play. The easiest way to do this is to keep a copy of the modified xml file and just overwrite it each time.
  2. TheEvilBlight

Ooh.

How many frames did you get out of it?
  3. ArcKnight

we need someone from SOE to see this, then remove this thread if it's worth getting banned

speaking of which where is he ? o_O
  4. HerbertKnivez

I am not trying it until I know whether I will get banned for it or not.
  5. JustSe7en

I don't even have a materials_3.xml in my graphics folder. Could you possibly copy and paste the contents of the file and PM it to me?
  6. bwdodd

This is from the beta.
  7. ReactionDT

I'm pretty sure this is from the beta and they have since removed the Materials file and it's a banned offense to edit anything in the materials file or any time of FXAA in this game. I'm pretty sure I've read it in previous posts.
  8. Naceo

I think this was a hold over from the closed beta days. I don't even know if this file is still used buy the client.

EDIT: Hah, 3 same responses in a matter of seconds. Great minds I guess.
  9. Tsavo13

10. Alexlightning7

The file is still there, but very well hidden inside another file type.
    Also its TXAA, not FXAA. TXAA has a big performance hit, while FXAA has next to none.
    TXAA is probably the worst form of AA. All drawbacks and no good things. Its not like SMAA or FXAA or MSAA, which all have definite advantages and drawbacks (except for maybe SMAA, which doesnt have drawbacks other then needing an injector, and thus, is bannable in multiplayer). TXAA seems to have only drawbacks.
    Same performance as MSAA with WORSE texture blur then FXAA.

Anyways, the file is inside another file that I forgot the name of. Problem is that the file is not a open xml file anymore and is not supposed to be accessed by users. It is modifying core game files and is thus, bannable. I have heard of alot of people doing it without being banned though. Some people even a month after launch, so they were ok at that level.

Its possible its just not enforced, but that can always change.
  11. Curse_Gamerkin

Dont see why the settings like this or FOV up to 90 arent even in the settings yet
  12. Moonlite Quality Assurance

It would be very unlikely for us to ban anyone for changing their graphics unless doing so gives them a game advantage (increasing your performance, while a game advantage, is within the scope of fairness).
    • Up x 1
  13. Alexlightning7

But this is, technically, moddifying core game files.
    The only other exception Ive seen in this is changing the in-game font.

And theres SweetFX, but I do understand why that is banned.
  14. Aquilae

unlikely? we need a straight yes or no. i'd love to edit the appropriate files and disable anti-aliasing (which clearly does not give a game advantage), but i'm not going to risk getting banned over it
  15. BR4DDERS

PlanetSide 2 in no was shape or form uses TXAA, TXAA is new AA solution created by Nvidia, it is exclusive to 600 series GPUs and is only supported by 3 games Black Ops II, Assassins Creed III and The Secret World.

PlanetSide 2 uses EdgeAA, not only did a dev say it uses edge blurring, it also says so in the "materials_3.xml" file.

Also TXAA is a great form of AA, it greatly reduces temporal AA and texture shimmering. Its only draw back is the blur (which can be reduced by adjusting the negative LOD) as well as the performance impact.

TXAA isn't designed to be a fast AA solution though.

Quoted from Nvidia

I think you should have a word with the devs to make sure because the only way to edit the "materials_3.xml" file is by unpacking the data files and editing it. Just editing the "materials_3.xml" to turn off the AA might seem harmless but you can edit other things in the "materials_3.xml" that you could use to your advantage.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you cant disable the AA anyway, you could not long after launch but I tried it about 2 weeks ago and it no longer worked, all you get is a black screen but with the HUD still visible.
  16. MurderBunneh

If someone finds a way please post it. I hate AA and it is likely costing me 10 fps or more.
  17. Hydragarium

... and if it was a problem, it would take mere seconds to force checksum checking AFTER the game has started. Heck even locking the files up while the game is running would eliminate it.

That's vertical FOV... :rolleyes:
    Go nuts - http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php
  18. AudieSmurfy

The FOV goes up to 106 for a 16:9 monitor, or 100 for a 16:10.
  19. HerbertKnivez

Ok, well thank you for replying. I am going to go and try it, see what happens :)
  20. Curse_Gamerkin

It lets me go up to 74 and im using a 16:9 monitor.