What is this? Non-lock, distant, no-miss vehicle damage.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Barosar, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Barosar

Not a bad theory I guess. I know the Dalton has a sizable blast radius, but with this amount of dodging I'd expect to have been missed at least once. But Dalton is single shot with a long reload, right? It wouldn't resemble the speed of an AV turret would it? I'm guessing a Dalton would be too slow to be the culprit.
  2. Dulu

Sounds like you were hit by a zepher outside of render distance. Explosions probably didn't render.
  3. Barosar

If I had to guess, I'd say about 1/7th each. About what a lock-on or AV turret would do. You can take 3-4 before you need to think about running. Only no amount of running works in this case...
  4. Barosar

A Zephyr has a clip-size of 6 so if they were all fired at approx the same interval and were perfectly lead and no rendering, then possibly.
  5. Compass

Could be a Dalton pilot missing and doing splash damage. Direct hits do up to 1/5
    • Up x 1
  6. Lessonteacher

This is the description of an enemy Liberator above your visible render distance shooting with dalton (any lib gun will do).... and its common
    • Up x 1
  7. Sinist

Kind of stupid we are even having this discussion.

:)

You would think we should know wtf is hitting us.
    • Up x 2
  8. gunfox

You say it was no Dalton and no Zepher? Then it could have been a Bulldog-Liberator, also known as "the poor man's Lib".

Hope I could help you solve this mystery.

EDIT: Video
  9. Barosar

A consensus seems to be forming that this may be from a Liberator. I've looked at some YouTube videos of Daltons firing to get a feel for how the interval can compare if fired consistently. It does look about the same. For now, I think you all are probably right. It makes the most sense all thiings considered. Next time I'll let myself get killed and find out for sure.

Thanks folks.
  10. Barosar

You're so right. I was kind of alone in the field, not like there was a ton for me to render.
  11. Barosar

I can't imagine someone with a Bulldog and it's splash size using it as accurately beyond render distance. Projectile velocity, arc, and evasion of target just won't fit in this case. The Dalton's splash is probably the only thing that explains countering evasion at this distance.
  12. Dvine

Its NOT a liberator!

As a dedicated lib pilot/dalton gunner I know what to look for.. Standing in the middle of nothing and getting periodical AP damage on my sundi with ZERO splash and nothing in the sky is NOT a Lib. I got max rendering range and I know where to look for Libs, there was nothing, also you CANT DAMAGE ANYTHING THAT YOU CANT SEE! Even if you know where the enemy is you cant hit it unless you see it rendered.
  13. Compass

Also, it is very hard to miss a ground target by splash with a Dalton.
  14. ArcMinuteLight

Depending on the damage it could have been an LA or Infiltrator shooting at you if you were in an ESF.
    Probably just a lib though.
  15. Gavyne

Happened t me a couple of times last night, sounded like gun fire. When I died the death screen showed it was an ESF. Although I looked all over and did not see a single ESF the whole time I was getting shot at.
  16. Barosar

MBT
  17. Exolus

I wonder if people realize what they're saying...

A hacker some how hitting you with a arc, non-hit scan weapon?

Aimbots can only do so much, and they do not work at all with missile weapons that have a travel time, as they can't take into account where you have to shoot to lead the target.

Now, I have also killed tanks over hills when neither me nor the tank I'm firing at could see each other, due to me finding where my shell is hitting and just holding that angle until he's dead. This happens to me pretty often, and I'd imagine it happens to experienced tank drivers like myself, who instinctively know where to put there sights and don't have to "test fire" anymore.
  18. MaxDamage

Just consider it practice for when they introduce Phoenix guided rocket launchers again.
    Horrible things.
  19. Barosar

I thought that was true as well. For example firing an MBT HE round into Infantry that are popping in & out of render. If they disappear, then no damage. This isn't the case here. If he could see me, then I expect the damage to apply (and it did).

The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming convinced it was a Liberator. How else can these hits seem to follow me around trees and rocks during evasion (I didn't mention that - was plains but had a few objects)? It simply must have come from above. The trench that saved me must have had just the right angles to stop it.
  20. Col_Jessep

Nope, it becomes more of a miracle with every day. Combined with shots disappearing randomly every fight becomes a gamble, every explosion a lottery.