Why?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneBadDude, Jan 31, 2013.

1. OneBadDude

I don't understand why SOE didn't just tweak Planetside instead of coming out with a totally different game that has zero strategy and grows boring after a month or two? No spec ops, no ability to defend. Outpopped 70-30, you could hold a base till the NTU ran out, but not in PS2. I miss the timers on base hacks, knowing you were up against the clock, now there is no way to measure how fast the "bar" will fill. Really disappointed, as are many, many, many other PS vets.

I have to add this, hacksaw maxes instaggibbing? Where are the TR/VS equivalents?

8 years PS
    1-2 months PS2
    • Up x 2
  2. Ho0t

They put Battlefield in our Planetside.

And I like it.
  3. ScrubbingItOut

this game was designed to have a very low skill floor and cap to cater to the newer players who play ur "modern shooter". The gameplay in PS1 was not welcoming to newcomers, it was fun when u got use/good at it but players like to judge a game through their first run through rather than play it out.

main issues newcomers faced in PS1 was

Gunplay
    • dueling
    • strafing (i dont know how this was hard)
    • aiming (This was a big one, since in most shooters, people tend to drop like flies, and aiming for extended periods of time wasn't really prevalent)
    • veteran players
    • MAXes... man AzK in dem spawns with his scat...
    Air
    • Wasp was utter S h i t, the missiles were lame, still better off using mossy and reaver
    • reaver is op
    • mosquito would kill softies on ground with ease
    • Dogfights required skill
    • gets blown up by AA unlike PS2 where u waste like 3 clips on a plane and it would still fly away
    Vehicle
    • All tanks required more than 1 person to gun and drive, people dont like coordinating with other people
    • hard to kill with one person, which leads back to people not working with others
    • BFRs are lame, and killing one takes more than 1 person to do, which leads back to working with others
    • skygaurd op
    • lightning is weak unless u use it in the right situation
    Miscellaneous
    • Adv CE certs were lame
    • mines op
    • spitefire den op
    • no cud for aoe emp
    • good outfits were hard to come by, good ones would hold trials for people to join etc, Kill Whoring outfits farmed the hell out of twrs and newcomers which leads to them getting a bad impression of the game
    All of this was elimated from PS2 and removed or nerfed to oblivion so that new players would have an easier time playing and accepting the game
  4. Stellus

Before Planetside 2, the team was working on a mass graphical overhaul of Planetside 1. Then the more work they put into it, the more they wanted to do a reimagining. And that is why we have Planetside 2 today.
  5. QuantumMechanic

I really miss the NTU-based siege mechanics that Planetside 1 had. For those that don't know, NTU was basically energy. Each base had an NTU silo that would run out over time, and when it did all base shields, terminals and turrets stopped working (no power left).

You had to recharge bases by using a vehicle called an "ANT" which you would charge up with NTU energy from a warpgate, then you had to drive it (or galaxy drop it) at a base's NTU silo to recharge the silo.

The siege mechanics come into play where the attackers literally siege (surround) a base, and don't allow the defenders the option to run an ANT into their starving base and recharge it. Once a base runs out of NTU it's easily taken.

This lead to many many amazing last-minute saves by daring ANT drivers and pilots who managed to deliver NTU to "starving" defenders and save the day by running through the attacker's blockade.

THIS is the kind of excitement that Planetside 2 is lacking. Why on earth did they abandon such a cool idea?
    • Up x 1
  6. dBMachine

It's because of the F2P model. We're essentially playing a bare-bones beta right now and they're going to continue developing it over the years just like every other F2P game. Hence the roadmap and stuff like that.

You might not like it but that's the reason why.
  7. ScrubbingItOut

the road map was showing all the new content to the game, the overall mechanics and gameplay in this game is why this game will die
  8. dBMachine

How does new content not effect the game play and mechanics? Beside I said over the years not just the next 6 months.

Yeah it sucks I want more too. Check back in 3 years though we'll see whats changed.
  9. Brendan

It's a conspiracy.
    Mat lowgby is an hero.
    A day everything will be clear. That man, no that dev, called matt Lowgby, he is here to slay the the Snake Oloong Emperor.
    And to archieve it he became a minion of the beast; he will kill the Beast, and free the captive game like everquest and planetside.

The beast is actually feeding on their past fame; when they were young they were great game, Matt Lowgby despite that, so he will slay that beast.
    He will provide it will false good advice until the beast fall to his own death. He will create unbalance for the sake of balance, rage for the sake of fun. He will create uneeded class to remove the freedom of choice of players. He will **** some class like infiltrator and praise some like LA and will make you think the devs favor them.
    He wil lattract the rage kid to a Faction with cool *** rock music and blue armor and will make them believe their are underpowered.

All that to make sure the little peons revolt like the NC should and slay the Snake Olloog Emperor with the boycott sword.

Matt Lowgy is a king.

http://i.imgur.com/bHThnxT.gif

That why.