[Suggestion] Quiet Spotting

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ArrowRL201, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ArrowRL201

Because hearing "Enemy heavy tank identified!" is just too damn loud for a class that's based on stealth. Could be a cert, and plus SOE doesn't have to do much extra coding - simply skip playing that sound if you've got the ability.
    • Up x 1
  2. icesail

It should be an attachment for the under barrel of the rifle. A laser designator that spots items into the mini map of platoon members. Using alternate fire you could also fire a dart that would show on the map as a red circle, as well as the mini map, and last for 1 minute or so. You could only have one target designated at any given time, so firing a second one, would replace the first one.
  3. Malicious_Emu

They should just really remove the infitrator from speaking when he is spotting, he shouldn't be punished for being a team player.
  4. nkenny

Quick fix. Don't press Q in enemy territory? You will after all only share the target location with nearby allies.

-k
  5. McDonaldsMaster

Rofl. Yeah. Just keep it quiet. If you're deep behind enemy lines, what's the point of spotting them? It's your duty to kill them!
  6. Wobberjockey

apparently, the Throat Mike is a lost technology in the future

• Up x 1
  7. LLancaster

Personally, if the default dart gun worked like how it was suppose to, I wouldn't need to hit "Q". The reason why I DO hit "Q" though is to make shooting people easier especially when using a bolt action and you have to un-zoom before taking the next shot.
  8. Brusilov [TR]

+1 Throat Mic cert for infiltrators ;p
    • Up x 1
  9. blzbug

Shouting at the top of your voice just doesn't make sense for an infiltrator.
    When we do spot someone, they magically show up on the radar of nearby friendlies. How did that happen? Is there a mic on the friendly that hears our shout? Is there a mic on our suit that picks up our screaming and sends that input to a central radar server? Whatever the in-game fiction is for how spotting is accomplished, it serves no purpose for it to depend on a soldier wailing like they just won the lottery.

Let infiltrators spot quietly!
  10. m44v

How about you just don't spot? being loud is the drawback of spotting.
  11. Nimas

Sigh, "Just don't spot" is really not good enough.

Yes, I almost never spot now, even as a sniper because I've located too many enemy snipers via that method. If you're infiltrating in close quaters and you want to do something OTHER then just pad your kdr, something actually useful to your empire that to assist you've moved to a dangerous (usually) location to attempt to give your allies an advance warning as to what is coming, you know, scout, then you are punished for it.

Perhaps an option to try to 'balance' it would be to be able to mark out targets silently, but only X number in X seconds, or a cooldown. ALthough if this is the case, it should put a little symbol above their head that also specifies their class. This would give you a reason to actually use an infil in alot of squads as they could concentrate on information gathering as opposed to trying to snipe people at silly rages.
  12. Playful Pony

I do not see why one would do scouting by getting close to the enemy. Surely the more sensible option is a good vantage point where you can sit in peace and quiet. Still, spotting targets only lets people within 150 meters (I seem to recall) of you see it on their hud. If your using Infiltrator in a squad, can't you just speak out the information using in-game or external voip? This is surely the more reasonable option anyway, though I don't know what level of organization you are working on...

I think the way it is now is a reasonable compromise. You could A) risk being revealed in order to give you and your team the magic dorito, or B) remain silent and maintain your cover, but at the penalty of having to vocally inform your squad of the incoming enemies. We do this the most in my squad anyway stating what type of enemy, direction, distance and heading so that our fellow squadmates are aware of it even though they don't have the time/posibility to look in that direction to see where the red triangle is.
  13. Stadulator

rock meet paper. The voice call out is there for a reason.

if they're close enough to hear you why do you need to spot? Spotting for someone else? accept the risk

I usually berate myself when I'm sneaking around and knee jerk spot someone.
  14. illgot

good suggestion. Infiltrator only cert or bionic (though it should just be a cert).