[Suggestion] Double XP needs to be regular XP thread #87

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EaterOfBabies, Jan 28, 2013.

1. StrikerSix

then what will you do when youve bought eevrything in 2 months
  2. Bindlestiff

Fair points. Perhaps my post should have said "double xp on kills alone is stupid". Sure, you get the bonus for support roles (revive, heal, repair etc) but in the main all this double xp event does is switch attention from tactical play - as little as it out there at the moment - to out and out selfish farming for certs via kills.

If, as you say, no-one truly should be punished for doing what they want to do, then why aren't outpost / facility captures given the same recognition of bonus that everything else is during bonus XP periods? It has the effect of punishing everyone else who doesn't want to lose themselves / get involved in the mindless FFA that ensues.

Beneath the FPS is a sub level of game style that SOE created, not the players, and that gets neglected each and every time a bonus weekend turns up. It is a game style SOE are putting a hell of a lot of effort into trying to promote and solve issues with. So I would argue that it is their job to make the game, whether it is from the shooter or tactical viewpoint, equally as rewarding for players so they can choose to do what they want and not feel like they either fall in line with the masses or get left behind.
  3. Divinorium

Again, i'm positive about giving more rewards for ppl who actually do the objective, but the main issue here is: right now the "objectives" are BORING.

It's not about getting exp, at least IMO, but the fact that rolling in a 30+ tank column in a continent that your faction have 60%+ of pop, waterson 80% of time Esamir/Amerish are like that, in my eyes and in the eyes of these casual gamers: this is boring. Easy as that.

In fact right now the objectives in this game are boring. Why? Because if you can't take X base, you just go cap the ghost base on the otherside of the map/ in another continent.

I've lost the amount of time i see big outfits NC "conquer" a continent and then go take another, and the TRs do the same, so when we hold Amerish VS/TR Hold Esamir, when we go conquer Esamir TR/VS go conquer Amerish and they never actually fight each other.

SoE already have plans to fix these problems: Continent Lock.

So... i don't know you but doing this kinda of thing is just not my definition of fun. So for now "punishing" ppl who want to have fun it's not fair.

And we do have leaders that can make ppl do these boring stuff, but it's somewhat gamebreaking since you are just farming certs since you aren't defending and never will get anywhere. So i don't think we should reward ppl who just "farm" certs getting ghost bases.

On the otherside we could make use of things like 3x exp for ppl defending. But as i already said, most of ppl don't try to defend and when they face something that they can't conquer/defend they change target, if we increase the amount of exp defenders win. This will increase the number of defenders. Making things harder for attackers and ppl would accept defeat and change of target even faster.

Since ppl can always run to another continent, and there's no way you actually force them to face you.
    The conclusion i came to is one: the low pop we have are killing itself. (why? well you can't force them to fight and over the time this cat/rat relationship get boring making ppl quit.

So we indeed need to make the objectives more attractive as harder it is to get, while ghost capping should be a minor objective.
    We could make a few changes to accomplish that:

Rewards on Exp scaling over time the base is held, for both defenders and attacker.
    The rewards of the capture of a important place, like Eisa Tech in Esamir since it is right in the middle of the map, should give a HUGE boost for the capturing faction and a GREAT slow down for enemies faction.

I think something along the line of: for 1 Hour the influence of all the enemies territory drop 500% faster and the influence in your territory conquered before the beginning of this time drops 500% slower. this bonus Doesn't apply for the place itself and can't be stacked.
    (yes need to be something that big so the attackers can use the momentun of this victory to put pressure in the enemy and the faction that holds it will try of everything so this huge bonus can't be used against them)

A change like this would create a place of extreme value, since it will have a impact that can be seen in all the others objectives, while after this 1 hour power up others tactics like starving the place will still viable.

And ppl would actually try to defend it. Remember if you lose this place you would have to deal with a HUGE power-up.

Well at least that's IMO what could work to bring both casual players and objective focused players together.

And i have to say again: This game should invest more in making money from customization over grinding power-ups. All that exp/weapons grinding do is make ppl quit the game because IT IS pay-to-win when you need to get 2500 kills worth of exp before having the chance to get in equal foot with ppl who just drop money in the game.

Damn this got long: o_O

PS: I'm not sure about the outpost/base capture but i think it gets the double exp bonus. o_O
  4. Col_Jessep

#87 has my support as well!
  5. Endlos

I understand that SOE wants to make money selling Win to players in the form of weapons instead of offering more robust cosmetic options, but a lot of the things that you buy with (only) cert points are way too expensive.

1000 certs for ammo capacity on a pair of max arms? Crazy.

1000 certs for 3% extra armor? Crazy.

I don't think 2x exp needs to be permanent, necessarily, but the cost of some of the upgrades really needs to be reworked.
    • Up x 1
  6. Syphers

I agree they need to increase both the free play and subs XP, seeing how every servers show low pop they need to make a change asap, the game is good but 10$ for a gun? No way
  7. Veri

The current XP gain is a bit of a grind which is expected.
    This game is designed to lure people in to putting money towards it.

I personally don't mind the grind and sometimes I do pay for boosts if i am playing a lot.
    I'm sure if we started off with the XP gain from double XP, we would still be complaining about XP gain being too little.
  8. TheEvilBlight

They're expecting to charge Apple-style prices on us...but this isn't an Apple-style product. Yet.
  9. QuakerOatsMan

I agree with the need of an increase in base exp, perhaps even if it were only +50% (or maybe even less if needed).
    What would help SOE counteract the potential of losing the "long term" aspect of increasing base exp is to pump out more content, especially skins or so since balance as it is right now is such a picky issue, and a huge influx of new weapons would only result in more of "those" threads (although new weapon varieties would be nice...)
  10. illgot

Keep cert gain as it is, but drop all upgrade prices by 25%. Keep weapon prices at 1000 certs so people will be more tempted to buy with Sony Cash.
  11. ExarRazor

RNG is bad. BAD!

it has no place in an fps. rng is for rpg's ONLY
  12. Bravix

Disagree. Double xp is a blast and a great way to earn extra points, but if it was around all the time progression would be WAY too fast.

If anything. a small period of rested xp for those who can't play as often.
  13. EaterOfBabies

What about giving double XP for characters under BR 20? Since the game lives and dies on a consistent and plentiful population, hooking new players is very important. So, give them that initial boost that lets them feel the progression more, let's them customize their character a bit faster, and ultimately hooks them on the fun they are having.

Then, when they hit BR20, a message can pop up signifying that "playtime is over - now things get real" (or something stupid like that) and XP gain drops to current base levels.

This certainly doesn't help me in my quest for double XP but if it could attract and keep new players I'd be all for it.
  14. TintaBux

Quadruple XP some weekends would be good.
  15. TheEvilBlight

Kill stuff.

What do people do in MMOs when they hit level 80 and have their fancypants magical robes?