MAX need some kind of optics

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Vorpal, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Vorpal

Particularly at night.

It's a little silly that in those huge armored domes of theirs they can't fit even the simplest optics.

Obviously this wouldn't benefit hacksaw MAX much but the longer range MAX (VS AV MAX for example) could really benefit from it.
    • Up x 5
  2. Tuku

I agree :p
  3. Xaturas

It will be probably same crap as Dualwielding in Skyrim, not enough buttons to use *blocking* until moders did so.
  4. nightbird

Just make it B or middle mouse click etc... I also think hacksaw MAXs would benefit too, any time you can see mines, infiltrators, and enemies hiding in bushes you're better off.
    • Up x 1
  5. Wily

Double purpose 'throw grenade' button to optics maybe?
    • Up x 1
  6. Metallic123

Maybe something classified in their helmets, 100 cert NV/IR Function which is you can toggle with alt fire
  7. LoveJuices

Only if the eyes glow the Faction color when they are on.
  8. MANBURGERS

No, this would make MAXes way too powerful

Not only are AA MAXes borderline godlike at their role, giving them an optic to improve range would make them that much more effective

As far as NV/IR optics, well this would make AI MAXes also that much more powerful, and if anything this would help the NC MAXes the most.

Right now one of the only counters (outside of sheer overwhelming force) to a coordinated NC Biodome defense is extensive use of smoke grenades to blind the MAXes and force the fight to be determined by the IR scopes on the infantry. If we put NV/IR optics on an NC MAX its game over, might as well never assault an NC defended Biodome ever again

Basically people need to stop thinking of realism and "realistic expectation" as some sort of gold standard to adhere to. Sure, in the future one might think they could build some optics into the helmet, but one might also think that weapons that could actually shoot straight and accurate could be attached to the MAX and then all infantry would be screwed at all times from all ranges. At the end of the day this is a game, and the key is to find the balance that makes the game fun to play.
  9. Zedek

I highly doubt giving MAX units optics would make them overpowered...
  10. MaxDamage

I would likeing to putting flashlights on my MAX arms.
    And let us breathe underwater is good.
    • Up x 2
  11. reeight

Tanks make great anti AA Maxes. As do grenade launchers, mines, etc...

Optics upgrades would be helpful.
  12. xMihr

To be honest it's not really a problem when smoke goes off to cover an infantry push. Generally a smoke bomb is a giant "shoot the door to get a free kill" sign. Some fights get nasty for seeing and makes me wish I had optics such as over the top grenade and rocket spam or face tanking rocket pods as I burster down an ESF.

One downside to optics would be how punishing it would be to infiltrators. They're already fairly easy to see when they move cloaked, adding a thermal or NV optic would make them free kills without a chance for them to fire back. If anything I could see TR/VS benefitting from optics more due to their medium range combat role where visuals might impact them more, especially during the night.
  13. Kozmyk

As of the new patch, cloaked infiltrators are not showing in HS/NV.
  14. xMihr

Just the HS/NV infantry scope or does this include vehicle optics? Mainly played my burster or vanguard today so I haven't been able to notice the change.

Either way good for infiltrators considering how many run these optics that negated their ability. With that out of the way optics would be an interesting tree to go with the MAX unit. A PIP zoom, thermal and night vision would add some fun dynamics to it
  15. the pestimist

it would be awesome to have fellow la's running around throwing smoke down and make finishes them and engies to repair them and medics to revive them
  16. MaxDamage

People argued that allowing MAXes to hotdrop like regular troops would be catastrophic. Turns out they couldn't because it was a bug, and was fixed.

Adding optics would restrict the view window of a MAX, that's a nice thing to have when you are at range, small and can crouch somewhere you're unlikely to be seen. Not so helpful when you're a MAX.