[Suggestion] Dynamic Sights.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Adico, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Backf1re

This sounds great.
  2. mistikl

No. Some people do aim with both eyes open. It's usually a personal preference thing.
  3. Adico

Bumping.
  4. turtlestation

+1 to this as a fellow RO enthusiast.

If a scope says it's a 3.4x magnification scope, it would be nice for it be one and not actually an eyeball implant that allows your eyes to zoom in whenever you ADS.
  5. Aldaris

But realism is the reason you'd add this, not anyone's experience. Maybe a better experience for the high mag users but a worse one for low mag by creating a balance issue. You would not have a higher peripheral vision with low mag scopes. As your picture shows, you have the same peripheral vision when zoomed in as without ADS. This outright makes high mag scopes better than low mag scopes, whose entire point is that you maintain more peripheral vision and less blocking of the centre screen. There's a trade off in the game as to which one you prefer using.
  6. Adico

here, spot the difference:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

do you see how the 3.4x has a lot less front view? is because is magnified AND has a higher frame, the 1x is simple a little more zoom, nothing else, the 3.4 is still the bad option for CQC but now it has a better chance of being use, i don't use 3.4 often because it has no use here, is a almost useless scope, but whit dynamic sight this changes that.
  7. Axiom

from the game balance perspective though, wouldn't this make reflex sights irrelevant?
  8. Adico

no since it would make them even better at CQC, they would only give you a small zoom and keep your peripheral vision intact.

also, this is funny, some people say smal lreflex sight would be lost, other say they would be OP.
  9. Pemtaphalon

Not sure if this has been said yet

My problem with it (and that scope) is that you can't really look around your scope and look through it as well, that scope should surely be resting against your face right? now, I've never used a real life scoped weapon, but when I was younger I did do basic range shooting with a Lee Enfield .22, and when you look down he scope you are focusing on the target, you don't hold it in the middle of your face lol.
    so yeah, in my view you should have the screen blacked out around the scope, make the scope view bigger maybe
  10. Adico

The feature does not aims to make the game more realistic, is to allow players a better degree of peripheral vision.
  11. Pemtaphalon

Yeah, just giving my thoughts as I use the 3.4 scope and the HS/NV scope on the same weapon, and I always forget that you can see around the scope with the 3.4 and it feels odd to me
  12. Adico

yeah, often people don't realize that some scopes allows you to see around even zoom in, with this feature is almost natural to look around.
  13. Aldaris

Still missing my point. The amount of space being taken up in the centre of the screen is irrelevant, it's the amount that can be seen on the edges. It's all about situational awareness. No matter how big the scope is, it's zooming in on the threats in the centre of your vision, the threats you already know about. The price you pay is losing peripheral vision and awareness of new unseen threats. It's a trade off of game realism and game balance. While more realistic to maintain some peripheral vision, game balance would mean you would always be better using high mag scope compared to more open ones in CQC under your idea because you lose nothing and gain more than low mag scopes.

Imagine a room with 3 entrances, with you stood in one and ADS to another doorway with high mag scope. No matter how big the scope is, you'll see every threat coming through that doorway, but may not see anyone coming through the 3rd door. Under your proposal I can now see both doorways in a CQC situation, so why would I use the low mag scope?
  14. UberBonisseur

It's also a tradeoff to have real life optics; it's harder to track a target if you lose your sense of perspective.
    The size of the chevron is so big, if your target gets away from the scope it might just be harder to get it back inside
  15. Adico

1) no, experience players will NOT zoom just because they have a target in front of them
    2)
    3) Currently if you do this with a low or high magnification weapon it all ends the same: death, there is close to no chance of killing that guy, if the feature is implemented that guy would still kill you because he got you by suprise and he also had more time to shot (TTK is very important in this situation), instead with this feature you would at least KNOW from where he shot you and maybe next time look more at that exit.
  16. Aldaris

1) Of course they will depending on the range, and the ranges where gaining peripheral vision is useful is CQC and not anywhere else. Also, the gain isn't balanced or decided around what experienced players do.

2) No one moves fast enough in this game that having a huge chevron and scope in the middle of your screen will cause you to lose them so completely irrelevant.

3) Incorrect. This event happens all the time and depending on weapons and skill the outcome is not so easy to predict as you seem to think, so your solution would provide an advantage will no drawbacks to large mag scopes. Also, the future event scenario is irrelevant. You have damage location indicators on your screen so you'll know where you took damage from anyway, and you wouldn't necessarily pay more attention to that door in the future as well as an enemy can appear from any doorway.

Your idea will simply make large mag scopes the default option for any range of fight as they have no drawback, so no I do not think this should ever be implemented. Also, as pointed out this will require more computer power. It's useless to say that don't implement this until GPUs are powerful enough to support it as this will lock out players who can currently run the game fine but possibly unable to with your idea. They wouldn't implement something like this which won't bring former players back but will potentially drive current players away.
    • Up x 1
  17. Adico

you still miss the point, the scope keeps it zoom so is really hard to aim at CQC with a large magnification scope.

People DO move fast, bunny hopping and WASD random movement can make you lose the target really fast, even now.

there would be NO advantage for high magnification scopes, is REALLY hard to aim with a hard magnification scope on CQC BECAUSE IT HAS A HIGH ZOOM, everything is bigger on the scope, have you notice that or what?

Large scopes are useless currently, i think given them SOMETHING to make them just a little better and maybe have a reason to use them is better than just leave them with nothing.

Red Orchestra 2 does this feature really well and it only uses 5% of the needed power, that game was release before 2012 so the GPUs CAN handle this with relative ease.
  18. hostilechild

They don't do this as most people close one eye when shooting through a scope. Thus they lose the FOV.

Personally i keep both eyes open and able to split my vision. This is great for when trying to hit moving targets while hunting.

In game this would make it very easy to put a 6x scope on a gun and still be able to ADS in close quarters. you now can hit things far and close, which i think they were trying to prevent with the current mechanic.
  19. Sharmanti

This. And make some scopes "zoomable". It's not rocketscience. Sucks that you can have litteraly no versatility
  20. Adico

not really, a 6x scope is HUGE magnification, trying to aim something like that would cause a lot of trouble and probably get you kill even if you take your opponent by surprise.