OMG! PS2 partnering with MLG!!!! Yeah...no thanks.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RobotNinja, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Playful Pony

There goes my sarcasm detector again.Blasted thing must be broken.
  2. Monnor

Never heard something about. And as i know , only asians can be "pro" gamers.
  3. lobe44

Same could be said for ANYTHING that is popular and competitive? Hell go to your local basketball court.. Listen to the amount of bullshi*ing going on there.. Tell me how does a bunch of immature guys spouting nonsense discredit the guys actually making the money?
    • Up x 1
  4. Poobah

As an American, I want to say something to counter this.

Unfortunately, years of starcraft and LoL don't allow me to do so.
    • Up x 2
  5. Karragos

I posted in the Roadmap why I disliked this idea. The end result, and it's going down this road for competitive play, is that everything is going to be watered down balancewise until there is little distinction between the factions. I wish they had just focused on making the game fun.
    • Up x 1
  6. Teiniporoa

7. HydroBIG BANG

XxziMLGPR0LeG1TPrOsC0PEz1080p1337SaUs3zxX
    ...Cant wait
    • Up x 1
  8. fastdak255

Where do you live that the majority of 12-16 year olds live out on their own and have jobs? I'm pretty sure when I was in middle school and a HS freshman and sophomore I was still living at home and not working (first job came that summer though). This statement here pretty much just nulled any reason to continue reading your post.
  9. Brok9000

Why post at all? this is just something for those who like that kind of stuff. I won't watch it but if there is an audience, why vent at them for trying to get them to watch?
  10. RobotNinja

It's not the fact that they're 12-16 year olds without jobs. It's the fact they have zero responsibilities, haven't graduated high school and tell people they're "professional gamers". Living with your mom and playing video games all day doesn't make you a "professional". Not to mention out of the number of people who claim they're professional, about 0.001% actually are professional gamers and the actual pros don't go around telling everyone in a cracking voice that "IM PRO GAMUR!!!!! !33333337!!!!!!"
  11. ron1n

I thought this was a joke...can't believe they are actually serious. Planetside 2 isn't and will never be a competitive game.

1. It's Asymmetrical: There hasn't been a single Asymmetrical FPS competitive game of note ever in the history of e-sports. (RTS yes but that's a whole different kettle of fish) The closest thing you could point to would be the CT/Terrorists in Counterstrike and this comparison (like similar games) is rendered moot by the fact that the games are round based and each team plays both sides.

2. Which brings me to Rounds. You cannot have a persistent world game as an Esport. Makes zero sense. Lets assume though that they have some way of instancing an area of a map and using timers and having attack defence rounds. It STILL wouldn't frigging work because the map design isn't made for it.

3. Vehicles. If they are included, how on earth do you balance them? Do you have a cap? And if so, how strict a cap? There just isn't a sensible way of including them without them being rendered either useless, or becoming overpowered and deciding games.

4. Balance. To say this game is unbalanced is an understatement. At any given time there will always be something akin to the Liberator that will be an I-win button. And considering the dev team (judging by the roadmap) will take a long time to balance anything, this would kill any kind of competitive mode quicker than they could even come up with fixes.

5. Numbers. This is a practical issue. There's a reason games in the Battlefield series have never truly taken off as E-sports. Yes there has been some big tournaments over the years and some ladders, but the killer has always been the team sizes. Anything more than a 5v5 or 8v8 environment is just not practical when it comes to organising LAN and Online teams. Leads to too many teams dying from lack of numbers, lessens the skill gap with zerg gameplay and make it too expensive for events to be set up.

Short of completely overhauling and redesigning a separate version of the game with MASSIVE changes to the point it barely looks or functions like Planetside 2, this is just a joke of a notion that will gain zero traction with players or viewers.
    • Up x 2
  12. DeusExMachina

1)From what i remember lol players like ocelote commented on it that tournament awards suffice only to cover tournament and preparation expenses while most of their income comes from advertisements on their streams and doesn't give them much. Just enough to help their families

2)Sports are funded by goverment from taxes and unlike in e-Sports you don't have to be one of top worldwide players to make a living from tournaments for it. While there are ppl that can make a living from eSport they know that you have to play in more than one game and also have to participate in many major leagues (not major as in major i'm not refering only to "MLG") worldwide and even they acknowledge that in the longer run that's not something that you want to be the only thing in your CV. There fore comparing eSports to sports is stupid.

3) What ron1n said.

4) I've already seen games that tried to make their games popular by eSports and what i can tell you is that if you want to succeed with a game in eSports firstly you need 1) a good game (also well balanced) 2) the game should be suited for eSports 3) large player base that is dedicated to the game and plays it for longer time and is fond of the game 4) when you see that players are starting to organise and make their own tournaments succesfully ONLY THEN you reach your "dev" hand to them and push them into eSport league play.
    Devs that "made" their game with eSports in mind from the beggining only hurted their games, and that's what will happen if SOE puts any more moneys into this unfinished game.

5) it's fps.... MMOfps. MMO games aren't suited for eSports, not at ALL. There are many ways to make cash from MMO but forcing it into eSports is the dumbest possible. It'll only hurt the game in the longer run. And even now you can see how succesfull was UES, no, it wasn't an eSport event, but devs are talking about eSports from longer time and gave players the filling that this event was related to eSport like tournament... and only the thought of it being an eSport event made it fail in ppls eyes.