Dear TR and VS MAX

Discussion in 'MAX' started by The Milk Man, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MANBURGERS

I'd think all that armor on a MAX would be able to repel shot from a shotgun at least enough to where NC MAXes don't instagib TR/VS MAXes

The problem isn't necessarily how NC MAXes absolutely ROFLSTOMP infantry, the problem is how they practically instagib other MAXes, so any situation where any faction is going to benefit from having AI MAXes (ie close quarters, room-to-room fighting), the NC MAX is easily worth about 3x as much, which is a joke.

All they need to do is nerf how much those shotguns do against other MAXes to where TR and VS actually stand a chance and we're golden
    • Up x 1
  2. Playful Pony

There are places to fight other than the Biolab... It makes little sense to chose the Biolab as the scenario in EVERY MAX thread ever... I'm not saying the VS or even TR MAXes are fine, I'm not even saying the NC MAX is, after all the only effective NC MAX is the one with dual Hacksaws (any MAX with Bursters is effective, pointless to discuss that particular config...), and obviously they will perform well in a closed environment such as the Biolab, where vehicle support is pretty much impossible.

Shouldn't all shotguns be absolutely devastating up close? Isn't that the entire point with a shotgun?

I agree that the NC MAX with dual Hacksaws feels great. You feel powerful playing that thing in it's ideal field of battle, and you never feel powerful playing a TR or VS MAX. Obviously the TR and VS MAX need some adjustments, possibly just a simple RoF upgrade. The solution is NOT to nerf the Hacksaws, or indeed any other shotguns. Rather, the shotguns available for infantry need a buff for CQC engagements for sure.
  3. Arcanum

Can you explain?
  4. Arcanum

Don't say that, it hurts my feelings. :(

I want to know that too.
  5. Playful Pony

The only weapon anyone brings up in regards to the NC MAX is the Hacksaw, or two of them specifically... I didn't mean to dismiss the other weapons as useless, but to point out that it seems to be the only weapon of concern to anyone. During the BETA, where the Hacksaw was not available, there was no real complaining that the NC had superior MAX weaponry in any circumstance. In fact it went the other way to a certain degree, NC MAX players were unhappy with the poor performance of the shotguns available to them. No real change has been in effect regarding the other shotguns, but the arival of the Hacksaws seem to have completely turned the table. Now everyone has a problem with the NC MAX, and it is ONLY because of that weapon.

Like I have said, I agree that the Hacksaws reputation is not undeserved. It does what it does better than any shotgun available, keeping in mind that general infantry shotguns in particular perform far worse than one would expect at it's dedicated role. It is such a specialized piece of equipment that if it is not to do its one job well, what is the point of having it in the game at all?

One could say that the biggest mistake was making one MAX so adapt at CQC, while leaving the other two empires alternatives as something of a middleground at best. But what about the Magrider? It is by far the most suitable vehicle at medium-to-long ranges, yet it is considered a faction trait by many. Perhaps the TR and VS MAX needs an increase in combat power, I tend to agree with that. I am just afraid that they will do it in a way that takes the unique feel of the NC MAX away from it, and once again make the empires weapons and tactics more similar.

Personally I enjoy the diferences between the factions greatly. I can respect that the Magriders abilities make it adept at long-range battles, and when fighting the NC in close quaters I am prepared to employ particular tactics in order to incapacitate it's most powerful tool. The Hacksaw MAX is far from unbeatable, nor is the Magrider. We did a thread on the ideal tactics for taking down Hacksaw MAXes, even large numbers of them, perhaps you can find it if you feel it is required...
  6. TintaBux

That's funny because I much prefer the VS max, then TR and NC after, much better player than the NC max with the other two.

So despite the empires already having several deifying advantages they still whine to get more buffs to their empires, making easier mode easier.
  7. PaladinZERO

The solution is simple, reduce AI damage done to MAX suits. This way the NC AI MAX cannot insta kill other MAX suits, so an AV MAX will be able to take it down, and there are plenty of HA or C4 carrying classes that will be able to take down a MAX.
  8. GSZenith

just wished the hurry up and added faction change already i wanna be stupid op hacksaw as well.
  9. Vorpal

The only places MAXes are useful is in protracted close range fighting (because they are slow and suck at longer ranges)

The only place this happens is bio labs.

If there were places MAXes were really useful outside of bio labs, you'd hear about it.
  10. Skadi

... thats longer range than any of the VS/TR guns, and it still kills faster than when were in our effective range!
    BRILLIANT
  11. Revorn

Iam sure, you realy dont need a Video to know how to use Pounders. Give the Pounders a try inside the Biolabs, iam sure you will soon figure out wich tricks you can do with them. But one hint, stay in the second Line and dont expect to kill all things solo.
  12. Arcanum

Can you give me a tip which trick I have to use to start killing hacksawers inside the cap rooms in biolabs?

Actually I'm dropping the sarcasm, are you really killing MAXes just by repeatedly splashing them? With engineers repairing them? And they don't come out to kill you?
  13. Revorn

Yes, once they come out, and usualy they do, iam at a longer Range then they are expecting, and usualy iam not alone. The Pounders are verry usefull in Biolabs, for supporting your Side with an steady stream of small explosions into an Area, your Forces are combating for. Its like playing a little Artillery, laying some nice Barrage.
  14. SKYHEX

Mr Greyfu actualy followed up with a full-length vid. Great Kudos.
    • Up x 1
  15. JackOfClubs

...Huh.
    Honestly, I was going to call BS on this. I've never been able to kill at that kind of range that quickly, even with slugs. Then I realized he was using slugs on the Hacksaw.

All Scattercannon variants other than the Hacksaw have very high spread and a moderate pellet cone, but the Hacksaw is the reverse. Large pellet cone, low spread. But slugs would ignore pellet spread altogether wouldn't they?

That's not the Hacksaw being OP, that's the Hacksaw being broken.
  16. SKYHEX

Either way, this makes Hackymax a killing machine even at range. Not good for balance. At all.
  17. JackOfClubs

I agree. The Hacksaw in general needs an accuracy nerf if nothing else. In a similar vein, the Mattock needs an accuracy buff, but that's not entirely on topic.
  18. PixelPunk

Then give NC scythes, magriders, prowlers and mosquitoes.
    Fair trade, mkay.
  19. Zcuron

So far I've only posted data and such, but I suppose it's time for some opinion;

I'm advocating a raise of the "small arms resistance" the MAX units currently have from 80% to 90%, coupled with rephrasing the description of the small-arms resistance suit buff to say "Decreases the damage taken from small-arms fire by 5%" (per level - up to 25%), the MAX units would have a maximum of 92.5% small-arms resistance, which I think should suffice.

Perhaps a slight passive explosive resistance buff. (5%?)

As for the weapons, once the anti-infantry weapons are no longer very effective in MAX vs MAX fights, I would like to see MAX units go into melee matches. I've never tested the "MAX punch" damage, but I think it should take a few hits to kill. (4-6?)

If these changes take place, MAX units ought to be more imposing.

Other changes are required to make them interesting.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  20. Revorn

Iam mostly pleased with the MAX as it is. Personaly i have no need, for being more imposing. But i play the MAX mainly as support with AA and AV weapons. So i guess iam a miniority.