Is this all i'm going to get out of my CPU?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by JustSe7en, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JustSe7en

My CPU: AMD Radeon A8-4500M Quad Core (~1.9GHz) with turbo core up to 2.8GHz.
    I also have an AMD Radeon HD 7670m OC'd to 780 MHz.

I know that the optimization patch is coming out on the 30th, but at the moment if I Alt + Tab out of the game and look at the resource monitor, all my 4 cores are getting utilized about 85-95% in highly crowded areas, and I get like 5-10 FPS, and around 35-45 FPS in small battles. Sometimes, I have CoreTemp and Resource Manager open at the same time, and CT is reporting lower CPU usage while Resource Manager is getting up to like 95% on all 4 cores.. especially in very crowded areas.

All i'm wondering is.. should the patch help my performance, or is this all i'm going to get out of this CPU + GPU?
  2. OvenTop

Not to offend you or the machine you chose to purchase (my setup is no example of a perfect system either), your CPU is weak, not meant for games, and it is not helped by the low clock speed. Your gpu is.. well.. not very good either. The patch may increase your performance a little, but don't expect a jump of 30+ fps.
  3. JustSe7en

Well when I purchased it, I didn't want to do any hardcore gaming on it... and I'm getting a gaming desktop soon.
    • Up x 1
  4. BenYeeHua

And remember to do research.:)
  5. Assassin0795

I cannot stress what Ben just said enough. Do your research or you will be disappointed... If you get an AMD core, don't get anything less than an AMD FX-8150.
  6. Alexlightning7

Now hold on. It is by no means a "Bad" CPU. Its a new amd trinity and is usually very good for the price. There probably isnt a single game that laptop can't run other then this. Part of it has to do with being an amd CPU.
    Did you unpark your cores and such?
    I have a friend with this who can achieve pretty decent fps. Not great by any standards, but he can keep above 15 at all times.
    You really shouldn't be getting 5-10 fps, thats very low. Is the CPU downclocking?
    I believe you PM'd me awhile ago about it.

I think in several months your game will be playable at >30 fps, but for now, if you want to enjoy the game, go ahead with a desktop.
  7. JustSe7en

I unparked my cores, and I don't believe it is downclocking. Even if it was I don't think I could do anything about it since my bios is locked and all that.
  8. JustSe7en

Yes, whenever I assemble all my parts i'm planning to post them onto tomshardware to see if everything checks out.

Also, my friend has an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2GHz with a 660 Ti both at stock clocks and he gets like 30-40 in big battles and 70-80 walking around. He also didn't do any .ini tweaks, so he could be getting more FPS if he wanted to.

This was somewhat good news for me because I was looking at an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE ~3.4GHz with some extra cooling so I could OC.
  9. sagolsun

Planetside2 is a resource hog. It's basically the Dwarf Fortress of FPS games. It will kill any and every CPU you throw at it. PS2 is currently stuck on single thread performance and neither haswell nor broadwell have the improvements to make this game run properly. Maybe in 3-4 generations?
  10. BenYeeHua

Nope, Intel is reducing the power consumption, but it might be increase the single thread performance as it increase the resource it need.
    And the best way is the software side optimize.:)
  11. kungflu

i'm sitting my task manager with "always on top" and it looked like the first 2 cores (core 0 and core 1) are slightly handling more instructions but none of them would ever reach above 55%, not even on heavy battles
    i5-3570k, i could get a screenshot once the game is up for approval
  12. BenYeeHua

No need, I has the screenshot.:)
    http://puu.sh/1Smhv
    Yes, it is single thread, and the usage don't go to max if I disable draw call.