Performance Dive post 1.22.13 Patch

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lueyja2, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Lueyja2

I run Planetside 2 on Ultra normally with around 30 fps average. (Ultra gives me the best performance)

Today I started PS2 and played for about an hour just fine but suddenly in the middle of a battle my fps dropped to 10 steady. This continued no matter where I went. I have tried all of the graphics levels and have not been able to get over 12 fps looking at a blank wall in the warpgate. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, rebooted, etc and have not gotten above that 12 fps.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM @2.00 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 540M w/ 2 GB RAM (Yes I am running on a laptop)
    Driver: 310.90
  2. Kinigos

why do ppl play games on laptops.i cant give you any excuses for this game.The fact you are getting 30 fps in ultra settings and ppl with far better gaming rigs get the same even worse performance is baffling.I hope the they fix this its really dragging the game down.
    As to your problem overheating,your gpu,something running in the background,maybe chck for some new drivers for your gpu,it can any number of things but its most likely the game.Maybe they broke it somehow for you.

Maybe make a ticket.
  3. JustSe7en

Sounds like your laptop might be overheating or something. Download a temperature utility such as HWMonitor, or CoreTemp and look at your temperatures while gaming.

Something tells me your laptop is getting extremely hot running on ultra.
  4. Zermus

I am also getting pretty terrible performance and pre 1.12.13 my PC was owning this game. Something I think happened on that 1.12.13 patch or beyond, I haven't been able to play from 1.12.13 till today because the 1.12.13 patch broke my PS2 since I run Symantec Endpoint and now I can't even fly a reaver anymore because of such crappy FPS
  5. Lueyja2

I've run this game for 3-5 hours before and no problem. I did check my GPU heat and it was like 129 F as opposed to 160ish for my CPU.
  6. Zermus

Just an FYI but HT doesn't count as a "core", it's just another thread per core. :)
  7. altonyc

I have almost the same computer as you, but with 2 GB less RAM and only the 1GB 540M model, but my performance hasn't significantly dropped. I play with Ultra Graphics and Textures (low everything else, but medium particles and 80% render quality), and get 30 fps in medium fights, 18-25 in large fights, and 35-40 in small fights. 15 if it's a hundreds-of-people, render-distance-pitiful nighttime fight in a tech plant, but those don't happen often.

I experienced something similar to what you described, and it turned out to be an overheat issue with my CPU (got fans and fixed it). However, since you've reinstalled, etc. that would seem to make it a problem not heat-related. I guess you could try and make sure your computer is actually using the proper graphics card (sometimes Nvidia will defer to the integrated Intel chip, which you don't want). Also, since you reinstalled, you will have to re-change any .ini edits you may have made before (RenderDistance, etc.). I guess (this is kind of a longshot) if there was a bug or something that limited your fps to 12 (you seemed fairly specific with that number), you can check that in the .ini, but I doubt it.

Also make sure your computer isn't trying to do some power save mode, because it will limit your GPU and CPU if it is.

Because some people (such as myself) have need of a laptop for other things (e.g., school) and instead of shelling out extra money for both a decent laptop and a gaming desktop, we opt for a slightly more powerful laptop that can handle games decently if you choose the right settings. BF3 on medium and 40 fps, ME3 with extra enhancements for 45 fps, PS2 with mixed settings for 30 fps...it's quite livable. While I'm certain I would do loads better if I could get constant 60fps, I can get by just fine at 30 (though @20, I have to just stick to support roles).
    • Up x 1
  8. ScrawnyRonnie

My fps seemed to be slightly lower, but for the first time I've been able to play longer than 30-60 minutes without it crashing. Played almost 90 minutes before I logged out (no crash) so that's good