Does the infiltrator cloak seem more visible lately?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by PsyStorm, Jan 17, 2013.

1. swenma

I have one thing to say to all the whiners: Positioning.

If you run in during a fire fight or as part of the attacking force, your invisibility won't help you one bit. But if you truly want to infiltrate, get deep behind enemy lines. Use a silencer, drop mines, get a kill and then hide. You will drive people crazy. I usually average 2-3 kills in a base before I leave. They spend the next ten minutes looking for me and I've already left to wreak havoc somewhere else. For this the shield is brilliant, as are the sensor darts. I hide in a room, with darts on the walls and mines on the floor. They come rushing in and i pick off the ones who don't blow up.

Don't try to make the class be the way you want it to be. Learn to monopolize it's strengths and be aware of it's weaknesses.
  2. icesail

Problem is, LA can do what you just described 10 times better, faster, and deadlier. On top of that, they can even destroy "that ams" around the corner.

Positioning is not cloak dependent. Heck, I have cause way more chaos behind enemy lines by "infiltrating" my dual burster max up an enemy air tower and destroy all the planes coming in to repair/reload.

The all "whining" is about giving us the tools to infiltrate a "heavily guarded base, currently under attack" and be able to perform sabotage job to prep it for the main forces. We are not asking to be able to take the base by ourselves, but, as infiltrators, we should have the tools to at least make it inside, and have a good chance of staying alive long enough to relay intel information back to our guys. Currently, once again, a LA is far better at infiltrating contested base to provide intel, since they can just use vertical movement to go sit somewhere where there is zero chance someone will just "walk by them".

Everyone can infiltrate deep behind enemy lines, you do not need to be an infiltrator to do that. And on contested bases, LA is a better choice them infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  3. Wobberjockey

when i can clearly see pickup outline of an enemy infiltrator running from cover to cover through a 10x scope, AT NIGHT something is WRONG
    • Up x 1
  4. icesail

Yups, the wrong part is: you did not head-shot him. Back to the shooting range with you!
  5. Wobberjockey

oh, i usually do... but part of me dies inside along with him....
  6. pr0gr4m

Speaking of the sound giving one away, try using them decoy grenades. They work, sending the enemy in the other direction. If only they were invisible so the enemy couldn't see where you threw it from.

As for more visible. Nope. Same visibility as always for me.
  7. Transvestosaurus

Does OP know that there are two cloak settings?

One normal one. Another for when you crouch with cloak on. The crouching cloak is really quite invisible indeed, makes it very easy to run past an Inf if they've hidden themselves right.

Seeing as an Inf with cloak is, if he's moving around, pretty much the equal target to an Inf WITHOUT the cloak on why not double the cloak time? It's not like it's an advantage if everyone already rocks NV scopes and knows what to look for.
  8. Timeraider

Wrong.. even in an infiltrator is sitting crouched without moving in the bushes while cloak is active..

put graphic settings at high.. those bushes will light up like a freaking carlight .. on low settings.. sure.. crouched infil is invisible :p

Have to agree with the insane NV being able to spot infils.. its sad
  9. Transvestosaurus

Dear Timeraider,

You are welcome.
  10. PsyStorm

Also did some testing and you have to be next to a solid object or you will still be seen. It's just too much work to not be seen for 12 seconds imo. I don't really get the class anymore as it's not consistent. I do better on a medic, engineer or la and have wasted a ton of certs trying to make infiltrator be somewhat decent up close. Sony has neglected us thus far and I am getting a bit annoyed with seeing all the other changes discussed but nothing about infiltrators.
    • Up x 1
  11. Jex =TE=

They should make the infi's have the same vis across ALL settings - this is BS.
    • Up x 1
  12. Brewergamer

I agree that infiltrators stealth should be more effective. What they should do (imo) is make stealth unlimited, but they can leave the visuals of it the way it is. At least then the enemy doesn't have the advantage of knowing you're there in stealth (right now they will see you before you stealth, and they know to search for you. With this option, you could go into a base cloaked and they would not know you were there. Unlimited stealth would make it more fun for all of us.)
  13. Sonny55

Unlimited stealth is a pure overkill.. most games I've played that featured something like that had limited cloaking but imo it was far better. What can be done is either increase its base duration and leave the invisibility as it is... or improve the cloak effect as its pretty ridiculous - you can only run past people during a mass fight when they are not really paying attention. I mainly use it to peak out of cover because its really hard to see if you have something like a rock behind you and are like 100 meters away :)
    • Up x 1
  14. Wobberjockey

it was not overkill in planetside 1, so the probability that it can work in planetside 2 is pretty high

all well and good if the ping didn't stay in a single spot.
  15. Exmortius

they should seriously chuck out the cloak sound. it would make them tougher to locate and know they are around which is the whole point of infiltration. that would be the first place i would start with improving the infiltrator class.
  16. Brewergamer

I never played planetside 1, but yea if unlimited cloak worked in planetside 1 it would work fine in planetside 2.
  17. hostilechild

A few seconds full invis would not be OP but couldn't make it last as long as a regular cloak unless there was a second of weapon lock after declock (or .5) as currently Infiltrator can de-cloak and fire but the other player sees them fire/de-cloak at same time. Seems to be at least a .2 sec server latency issue with sending/calculating etc besides ping between players/server.

Cloak really is too visible, why i rarely play unless long range snipe. As HA/LA i see cloakers all the time and amazed how many people run right past them (a lot probably mistake them for friendly cloaker). I have shot more than 1 friendly cloaker due to sound behind me.

If you stay out of direct LOS say at 60deg of a player they have a much harder time seeing you as the client doesn't seem to display as accurately and eyes naturally focus to center of screen.
  18. Wobberjockey

a few things.

1 the cloak sound is a manageable thing. it is very loud for the player, but it's only audible for maybe 5-10 m around the player. in the heat of combat (say a tech plant assault) it is unlikely that you are going to hear it as an enemy player

2 in beta there was the stalker cloak in the inf cert tree. it basicaly functioned like the PS1 cloak, or for those of you who did not play PS1 it functioned like the Cloak and dagger from TF2. one of the key differences is that at higher cert ranks, the stalker cloak was able to regenerate. that means that given enough time and patience you could walk across indar without ever uncloaking.
    what is the tradeoff for such awesomeness? no primary weapon, pistol and knife only.

3. the biggest problem with the cloak right now is that proper infiltration requires a lot of moving cover to cover, and the cloak is useless behind that cover. also you need to sprint from that cover to cover since a) you have 12 seconds b) the cloak drain rate is constant no matter what you are doing c) your walking visibility is the same as your sprinting visibility, so you may as well run to limit your exposure time.
    if any of these factors would change, it would be a boon to proper infiltration, but as it is, infiltrators simply have really good 12 second camo for when they are moving in the open. this is a big part of why many infiltrators feel that LA's can do their job better. think about it. how often do you look up as a player? also, how many routes can only a LA access, yet infiltrators take the same door as everyone else?
  19. ItsDangerous

Mildly off topic question but still has to do with the cloak.

I jacked all my graphic settings down because one of them was causing some issues. NOW... cloaks do not render at all, moving or anything. There is no effect what so ever. Now off the top of anyones head, Do you know which one(s) effect the cloak rendering and quality.

(and yes I pass the stupid test, I know cloaks are less visible when stationary and yadda yadda yadda)
  20. zarfoobla

I wouldn't call cloak-induced flatulence a manageable problem. It used to be that every Infiltrator sounded the same when cloaking, but nowadays all of them have unique sound clips, and that was manageable because you wouldn't be able to tell if it was a friendly when there's a firefight.

All it takes is one FRRRRT and anyone with a brain will realize there's an Infiltrator in the area. They will then either:
    - Hunt him down and kill him, made easier because you're now aware that...well, there's an Infiltrator in the area! Crouch-mode be damned, they'll be looking for any and all signs of shimmer, and your constant use of cloak, and inevitably, endless farting will inevitably give away your position. Not helped by the fact that newer players treat it like full concealment. Don't use the cloak and you learn how to sneak with practically any class in the game, especially Light Assaults who laugh at things like doors and stairs. Once any other class learns how to do that, the Infiltrator is close to worthless because they're practically outgunned.

- Ignore him. All Infiltrators can do right now is off unaware people (who will then be aware of Infiltrator presence, then see above) and hack terminals that can easily be counter-hacked. The best thing an Infiltrator can do is hack a turret and use it to decimate a tank line/aircraft, but there's almost nothing to stop counter-hacking on those as well.