REMOVE FLINCH MECHANICS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by perspicacious, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Nekryyd

Depends on the energy weapon involved. Lasers are recoilless, but the Vanu don't really use lasers. Their projectiles are more like plasma toroids, like shooting small explosions really. Not only would there be recoil because of the effect of the sudden expansion of molecules due to heat, but they would basically explode wherever they hit - Causing an intense and brief flash of light and a small, forceful explosion of energy. Also, there would be the potential of splash damage.

Be thankful that the humans of the VS are using a hack version of what a real, supremely powerful alien civilizations weaponry would look like. };-]
  2. AnotherNoob

Next time you get access to a gun, shoot yourself and see if you flinch. Fast reaction and precision doesn't necessarily make you a better player then the one who manage to get a drop on you...
  3. Mattressi

Likewise, get a gun, shoot yourself multiple times in the head and see if you respawn. Also try to hold it standing up aiming down the sights for an hour straight with no sight wobble. There's a reason games (especially sci-fi games) aren't totally realistic.
    • Up x 3
  4. Arcanum

For normal-to-good players, sure. For the freaks, maybe not unless flinching causes CoF. CoF doesn't make it impossible but it makes it a matter of luck.
    Kinda agree.

Not really. Sure, it would break the balance of a lot of things in the game and gives snipers too much of an advantage. It's why flinch mechanics were added in the first place, they weren't always in the game.

But there's still low damage, massive recoil and CoF to deal with when using SA sniper rifles(OT: it's probably possible to reduce that by unscoping if you have the twitch skills for it) and while you'd probably start seeing BA sniper rifles doing stuff like quickscoping at close range it's simply too hard for them to "dominate". Simply because the TTK is low and they're going to have to reload or rechamber very soon, giving you time to kill them.
  5. Antivide

Because Arma.
  6. CosyPigeon

I already kick *** with semi auto snipers at close range, with no flinch I could go for a 2 shot head shot instead of a 3 shot body shot like I normally do. And the with no Flinch I could use the fast firing close range bolt action (which comes with nice close range reflex sights) to get 1 shot head shot kills at close and medium ranges.
  7. MykeMichail

Just make it so the damage of the bullet effects how much you flinch by.

It doesn't make sense that getting hit by a TR automatic pistol round has the same effect on a persons aim as getting hit with a 200 damage NC6 Gauss SAW round.
  8. nukularZ

This is the "buff" that NC needs to even things out, if flinch amount is caused by how much damage there is in the shot.
  9. Ouch Electric

I disagree.
  10. deaded

Wouldnt mind if it was taken out entirely. Id like that better than how it is today.

But I guess the best option would be some adjustments and balancing. Flinch with an internal cooldown of a couple seconds? Less? More? Make low-dmg bullets produce much less flinch than high-dmg bullets? Make high-ROF guns produce less flinch overall, or slow guns more flinch?

I dont know, all I know its no fun gameplay-wise. Especially combining it with the extremely low TTK in infantry combat. As NC I have huge problems landing headshots when screen is flashing and shaking, recoil and bloom sends my gun and bullets flying anywhere but where my mouseaim is. Landing headshots in midst of combat and shootouts is much easier with high-ROF high accuracy guns.
  11. SeventhFrost

My problem with flinch (you can disregard this)
    See, the thing is, a TR is supposed to have mid-low damage, fairly low recoil, high ROF and high spread. A NC is supposed to have high recoil, high damage, and low rof/spread, from what I've gathered. But the TR's clearly trumphs the NC in any given situation because if a NC is close enough that ROF will win, TR wins. If a NC is farther out, it should be able to have a better fighting chance by comparison, at least, but it doesn't. This is because the TR can negate the NC ability to hit harder by making it impossible to hit because even though the TR doesn't hit, every bullet it shoots makes the NC lose aim, so the NC can barely land hits, and eventually enough hit him that he dies. There's nowhere for the NC to win. Nowhere. This is a complex problem, obviously, with a more complex solution than just "oh let's just have the NC win at long range against the TR then!". So here is...
    My Solution:
    Well, I can understand the mechanic. I can understand the need for suppression, and I can understand why people want flinch gone.

I feel that flinch, in its current state, should be moved to only affecting you when you're hit. Maybe even affecting you a bit more when you are. Or having that very depending on the type of weapon, and the faction you're on (my preferred ideal).

On top of that, though, while being shot at with bullets whizzing by your head, you should get some sort of suppression effect that builds over time, but is not nearly as severe as the flinch mechanic is today. It'd slowly build up as you're getting fired at in the open, or nearly exposed in cover, and as the bullets aren't whizzing by you, it'd take a second then cool down rather quickly as your nerves calm.

I mean if you're getting shot at, you're going to get your **** scared in, because you don't want bullets hitting you, but you're not going to be ******* acting like you just took a head shot and moving your gun to the sky unless something actually hits you.

This simple configuration leaves all 3 factions doing things well, and by all means how they SHOULD based on their factional differences...

The End Result
    The TR would suppress people well, the NC would have every hit count for what it should, but obviously not be good at suppressing, with their tough recoil and low RoF. The Vanu, as they are now, would just be precise. They wouldn't make you flinch as much as the NC, but since the shooting mechanic is hardly changing, the Vanu would be killing you with the same amount of relative ease.
  12. supernauttt

its as simple as this flinching should stay the same, if anything i want more realism mechanics for supression and such....the problem is i dont think devs took into consideration that the flinch mechanic is a major 'Pro" of each gun, with that said high ROF weps need to be nerfed in in other areas to make up for the flinch being gurenteed every shot landed, for example u cant have a TR or VS gun that has incredible ROF and little recoil, that also can keep the enemy in flinch lock as well as decent damage out put. it just accells in to many areas. I only play NC and im not ranting about NC being up but when im in medium range engagments as light or heavy i have to 1 or 2 round burst to land hits and at that rate flinch really has no effect on the target. yet we dont have anything else to level out this disadvantage. what i suggest to fix this is to have Flinch go hand in hand with damage on all weapons, the lower the dps the lower the inflicted flinch is on the target, high dps weps would put a much harder flinch on the target making them stagger which is realistic and what would happen as weapons that cause more damage are usually rounds that are either heavier or moving faster hence more kinetic power. do this and you would solve the flinch problem and the problematic no-advantage NC weps in one shot, problem solved

edit i mean damage per round not dps my bad
  13. Nasher

It should stay as it is tbh. It's needed so that long range weapons (e.g. sniper rifles) aren't effective at short range. Which was a problem we had in beta.
  14. Aragato

with the flinch mechanic now based off bullet damage, we can finally stop hearing NC complaints concerning flinching.
  15. Zaik

I hate it, takes control away from the character. Don't care that it was increased on higher damage though, everyone has access to high RoF weapons now that SMGs exist, and high RoF weapons are always the best within their effective ranges because they always do the highest DPS aside from shotguns.

In the post-annihilator world, no infantry combat can exist outside walls except at the crown, so weapons never need to hit anything past 50m or so. It's a little too far for SMGs, but a majority of other guns still work acceptably at those ranges, including very high RoF ones(even NC, except for LMGs, as no true high RoF LMG exists for NC)
  16. DashRendar

I am enjoying the game so much better now that flinch has been altered. It's still there, you can tell, but I actually went back to using irons on my Carbines and I may actually invest in the higher damage per shot weapons where before they were completely unviable.
    • Up x 1
  17. supernauttt

when was this added it is based on the damage per bullet now? YES!!! finally an nc advantage....kinda haha
  18. DashRendar

It was added in the last patch, and preserves the weapon balance that they've painstakingly made whereas before it was a confounding variable which threw off that delicate balance.