REMOVE FLINCH MECHANICS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by perspicacious, Dec 14, 2012.

1. PharmD

They need to tone it WAY down.
  2. Verinas

I said it before,

the flinching mechanic serves to make low rate of fire weapons a lot less useful.
    You notice this mechanic so much with the battle rifles and slug shotguns, you get hit and your aim gets screwed and even if you correct it your bullets still go way off the mark.

So yes, remove it.
  3. Zorlox

they're still toning it down and tweaking it but no it won't be removed, it's here to stay.
  4. CosyPigeon

Because without flinch snipers would dominate all infantry combat regardless of range.
  5. Loegi

Agreed. I don't see the point in this.
  6. Nature

Fixed it :p
  7. Antivide

Our main issue is that it's too severe. If it was based on damage done with an overall massive reduction (think 90% less) in flinch amount I would be fine with it.

>Reduce flinch by a severe amount (So you don't ******* move like molasses when someone shoots your little toe)
    >Make flinch based on damage done
    >Balances gameplay towards NC without making NC overpowered (Lower ROF -> Equalizes flinch amount)

What happened to FPS games of old where player skill trumped everything.

Now it's PICK FASTER ROF WEAPON, HUR HUR SUPPRESIONSIDE 2.
  8. Talizzar

As long as the flinch is exactly the same for all side then it is fine. If not then remove it or make it the same.
  9. Zorlox

luperza in her stream, yeah i wish they posted on here also, said that they're still reducing it and tweaking it because it's a tad ridiculous atm but it's here to stay. that's all i know
  10. Hosp

I got around calling it Hitstun. same thing. However along with this, could also tweak it per empire as:
    (Numbers are just examples and can vary)
    NC - Bigger, harder hitting bullets. +10%
    TR - Smaller bullets, less stopping power. +5%
    VS - Pew Pew. No Added hitstun.

...then again that's still horribly biased for TR due to the RoF. I'm out of ideas.
    • Up x 1
  11. sunjo

I'm all in favor of removing it altogether since it does lower the skill ceiling by quite a bit. It rewards passive play (such as shooting from cover nonstop) and less movement.

If SOE won't remove it, I suggest tweaking it to resemble Counter-Strike 1.6's "flinch mechanic" which is when your crosshair would automatically jerk straight up to ceiling whenever you got hit in the head. After your crosshair has stopped going upward and the flinch ends, it would automatically slowly lower itself to where you originally had it or where you have it currently. It didn't matter if you had a Helmet or not, if you took a headshot and survived, you're crosshair shoots to the sky making you unable to return fire accurately. This mechanic drastically increase the odds of winning eco rounds (rounds where your team intentionally doesn't buy anything with the intent on saving/pooling your money) for the saving team because if your team did manage to rush a site, you had a much better chance of killing enemies by hitting them in the head over and over with USPs/Glocks to ruin their accuracy then you would if this mechanic didn't exist and the defenders could simply put their crosshair in the general area of enemies and hold left click.

I think this mechanic would work perfectly in PS2. It would promote players to have better aim if they want to take advantage of the flinch mechanic while also promoting more movement and more skillful play (the players with the best aim who can get headshots consistently should win the majority of engagements).

The question is does SOE want to increase the skill ceiling which could potentially turn away newer players that keep dying over and over to these better players that can take advantage of this mechanic? If this was 10 years, I'd say players wouldn't care at all since that generation of gamers didn't whine about stuff like this and would keep playing and putting in the time to improve their abilities, no matter how many times they get killed. Today, I'm not sure if this would be a profitable move since its bound to turn off a large amount of the COD/Battlefield players.
  12. Antivide

Why is all this information not on the forums? I hate having to dig through Twitter, Reddit, and various livestreams just to get info from the developers.

Well I'm glad they know it's ridiculous. Like I said I'm fine if it stays, as long as its reduced by quite a bit.
  13. Cowabunga

I don't mind it, since the TTK is so low it rarely matters. :)
  14. Grotpar

I want it, and every other form of screen shake to be abolished from the game completely.
  15. Oheck

I just try to make a point not to be the first to get shot. That simple really. Are gamers these days so thin skinned that something like this ruins a game for them? Is it just this generation of gamers that seems so unadaptable? You aren't the only ones on the battlefield experiencing this effect, though many act like they are. This conversation mirrors those had over the suppression effects in BF3. It didn't slow my ability down to kill other players. I worked out how to deal with it rather then running off to the forums to complain that its too hard! Its ruining the game!(For you...not those that are flexible and think on the field).

I'm hopeful that this development team has a little more resolve to not give in to the low threshold gamers out there, and leave some of the challenges we face in their games. Isn't that why we play these games? To be challenged? I thought that was part of the fun involved in playing against other human beings.

If you have issue with a game mechanic like this, you need to do yourself a favor and find out why other players succeed where you are failing. Obviously it can be overcome, because players do it everyday. And when it does happen, thats that. Someone got the jump on you, someone was faster on the trigger then you....and you died. Happens to all of us, every day we play. And we deal with it.
  16. Demerzel

I hate the flinch mechanics, but seriously doubt they will be removed, as it would make slow, accurate weapons more able to compete with high-ROF carbines/LMGs.
  17. Lakshmana

IMHO a solution would be:
    1. Player receives damage to the regular shield --> low flinch, maybe 20% of the current amplitude.
    2. Player receives damage to HP --> 50% of the current flinch
    3. Crouching divides the flinch amplitude by 2
    4. Flying or jumping multiplies the flinch amplitude by 2

This would mean that:
    - HA could avoid for a short while the flinch by activating their external shield. It would even be a matter of skill. Some guy gets the jump on you, you turn, activate your external HA shield and you have a very short time of shooting without flinching

- The snipers would not have it easy. Given the extreme accuracy they have to maintain, even 20% of the current flinching would be enough to ruin their aim. Nanite cloak armor would not affect this, as they can't shoot while it's active.

- Crouching would mean something more than it does now and if you're a very good shot, you can crouch (which makes you stationary, pretty much) and take your best aim shot towards a guy that moves. If you're good, you win.

However, depending on how the flinch mechanic is implemented, it may require quite a bit of new animations and this may take time, memory, tuning etc.
    • Up x 2
  18. Armchair

VS projectiles have next to no mass, so they cause next to no recoil.

By the same token, they would cause next to no flinch.

Its perfect!

People won't like their no-real-drawback ezmode adjusted though.

edit:

As much as I'd like to see VS infantry weapons get a meaningful downside, this isn't the way to do it.

The flinch mechanic in its current state is atrocious. I'm liking the suggestions to drastically reduce flinch to near non-existence as long as your shields are up.
  19. Meh.

I been asking for this to be remove ages now, It's sad lol.
    Shooting this guy at point blank about 5-10m away, shoot me a 2-3 shots my gun jumps up right above his head and I die because TTK is so low lolol.
  20. Nekryyd

Another idea would simply be to make flinch rely entirely on a sliding scale based on damage per bullet. So:

• Very high RoF, low damage weapons would have the lowest flinch (example, the burst fire from the TR Repeater).
    • High damage LMGs with large magazines would be the obvious weapon of choice for suppression fire.
    • Semi-Auto Scout Rifles would be inflicting even higher flinch than most LMGs, but this is mitigated by their low RoF and small magazines/total ammo.
    • Carbines would typically be inflicted "average" flinch, which would be roughly 50 - 75% of what it is now.
    Also, I wish I could invest certs into "concussion rounds" that were less accurate and lower damage, but had a small radius suppression effect.....

SSSOOOOO-PRESS-IIIVE FAAAAAHR!!!