[Suggestion] Resource Management - Supply Lines - Convoys

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nekryyd, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Nekryyd

I've decided to compile together the various discussions I've had since Beta regarding the ingame resources, and present it all in video format.

Resource Management - Supply Lines - Convoys - Bandits - And Also Steven Seagal

Please like and keep this thread alive if you want the devs to take a second look at resources and figure out a way to make them more of a useful aspect of the game!

Also, I'd love to have all your feedback. If you liked or frequented the last thread I had regarding Supply Convoys back in the day, I'd love to have you watch my video and provide your feedback.

Fair Warning : The vid is 15 minutes long, I go over a lot of information because I am presenting, in my mind, a complete and rounded out system instead of a simple suggestion. The vid isn't the greatest, but I did spend a few days compiling all the material and information together because I am simply that much of a geek and just that keenly interested in the subject.

TL;DR -> It's a presentation on resource management, resource scarcity, more realistic supply lines, and how all of that can be worked to expand the metagame and potential for deep strategy.

THANKS FOR WATCHING!
    • Up x 4
  2. Sebastien

Where's the Vid?
    • Up x 1
  3. Zorro

Sounds like a terrific idea, but where is the video?
    • Up x 1
  4. Nekryyd

Embedded teh vidz! Sorry! Refresh the page and you'll see it, thanks!!!
  5. MooMasher

• Up x 1
  6. Sebastien

Smart
    • Up x 1
  7. Nature

Supply lines would make the game harder for newer players (players customed to modern shooters) which seems to be the opposite what SOE wants. SOE forbid we would have some sort actual startegy in this game someday.
  8. clantix

What... was their a reason to defend bases slyly hinted at in the video? oh no too much meta game we are too stupid!!! Though what happened to the standard idea that cut-off portions still generate resources as long as they are connected to a base that processes it?
  9. Nekryyd

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm TOTALLY for continent locks once we get another couple continents to fight over. Not against them at all, but we could take small steps to implement cross-continent metgame in the meantime even if we don't have continent locks yet.
  10. Nekryyd

I don't think so. We're still pretty early into the game's lifespan. Also, I kinda really took into account the casual players. SoE had a bit of a rushed delivery when they released the game, but it's only going to get deeper as we get more continents and other stuff. Eventually we'll have some sort of "tutorial mode" or "VR room" for the new players, of this I am convinced.
  11. Nekryyd

Each base:

• Is also a resource processing center.
    • Is also a resource stockpile.

If you don't defend, say, your last remaining Bio Lab, then only your Warp Gate Stockpile will accumulate Infantry Resources. This will make it difficult to buy explosives and field MAX units further afield if you don't get your Stockpile back.

One thing I neglected to mention is that if you TAKE a base, you would inherit perhaps 75% of its resource stockpile. So you are in effect letting the enemy take a cache of resources away from you. A pretty good motive to defend. Also, if a base containing a stockpile is flipped too frequently, then that stockpile is depleted (If a faction inherits 75%, then another faction re-takes it, they inherit 75% of that 75%) over time due to the effects of "scorched earth" constant warfare.

This makes it important to defend (and a little easier to defend, since attackers suffer attrition) and keep steady ownership because you can have your stockpiles depleted.

Consider this strategy:

The VS take Zurvan, and steal 75% of its resources. Then hey retreat and let the NC retake it. Why?

• They've already restored their resources used in taking the base when they took over the stockpile.
    • They already have another Amp Station, and will still be able to process Aerospace.
    • When the NC retake it, they only get back 75% MINUS what the VS took out.
    • The VS in the meantime, have regrouped and were waiting for this. They take Zurvan AGAIN.
    • Do this a couple times, and you might bankrupt the stockpile and hurt the enemy's ability to field anything requiring Aerospace resources.
    • The VS then organize a mass air zerg, and there isn't as much enemy air there to resist them.

Cut-off portions would still supply defenders ONLY if they are in the actual base with the stockpile. Sorry that I didn't make that clear. BUT the stockpile DOES NOT store any additional resources during this time. So, when "under siege" the defenders can keep replenishing their personal resources so long as the stockpile still has any left.
  12. clantix

Well now that you've firmed it up on the forums its time to post it to reddit :rolleyes: *insert slowpoke meme here* but seriously have you? even if it means playing their game it could be worth it to get this an extra chance of being implemented
    • Up x 1
  13. Nekryyd

I have. Actually, that's where I originally posted it for the Community Design Meeting. But the thread has actually run into problems. It's been almost all positive feedback and mostly upvotes, but there are also quite a few downvotes. Dunno if it was the video or the idea or what, because none of the downvoters thus far have left any feedback.

Anyway, if you want to help get this sort of discussion noticed by the devs, I'd be grateful if you also stopped by the Reddit:

http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/16x3fn/metagame_design_meeting_idea_resource_management/
  14. VethEU