[Suggestion] Player collisions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GpaS, Jan 20, 2013.

1. GpaS

i know this has been talked about in the past, but it still doesn't feel right in a fire fight to have an enemy walk though you.

now i'm pretty sure there's no collision detection on players so that if a whole platoon of people are trying to charge though a door on a base they don't get stuck or something, which is all goods cause that would get annoying, but could we have collisions between opposing factions,

this way in fire fights i don't have enemies running though me and then getting mowed down by a team mate thats decided to shoot at them after they've passed though me

just thought i would post this and see what other people think about it
  2. An Hero

You know what?

Why not?
  3. Steppa

There's a very simple reason "why not". F2P. If it were a server of paying players only there would STILL be problems here and there with idiots out to be idiots. On F2P, it would be magnified immensely.
  4. An Hero

I doubt it, he speaks of opposite faction collisions, I can't think of a single way to abuse it.
  5. AnnPerkins

I will randomly have collision detection work sometimes but most of the time not. I'm not sure what triggers it. Could be just that MAX suits have collision detection since they're a pseudo-vehicle.
  6. Zer0range

Player collision = cluster**** (in the literal sense).
  7. Duff_Chimp

I would love to see MAXes having collision. Just imagine the carnage one could inflict in a biolab. Mowing down enemies and friendlies alike next thing we will need is horns for MAXes.
  8. Iksniljiksul

It's not just annoying as a MAX unit, it is exploitable in some cases. MAX units can't hit anything at point blank range due to the spawn point of the shots fired, and someone walking through your character repeatedly can avoid the punch.
    • Up x 1
  9. Posh_Diggory

Simple fix, have it only apply to enemies.
  10. Rogueghost

The devs turned player collision on and off throughout beta, I'm not sure why its not on now. But I'm guessing they had one or two problems with it.
  11. GpaS

wouldn't mind hearing what the dev's think about adding collision detection to players of a differing faction
  12. Metalsheep

This is why MAX's have a backhand. I think most people forget to falcon punch enemies that get that close. Collision would make it much easier tobackhand players though.
  13. Siilk

PS2 absolutely needs collisions to the enemy players, lack of collision harms QCQ a lot. Friendly collisions are a double-edged sword though. It can be abused but it also will help in preventing friendly fire, it is quite common to see one player run through his friendly right when that second player starts shooting at his target.
    • Up x 1
  14. GpaS

i agree that having collisions friendly's would help the friendly fire situation a bit, but it would make storming a tower or building a far more clumsy ordeal, where as just with the opposing factions stop the running though max's melee and infantry melee, and makes the game feel more "solid"
  15. PharmD

They played around with collision detection during beta. Some people like it, some people don't. I think there should be a middle ground: no collision for friendlies but collision for enemies. I can't see any negatives having that type of system.
  16. Aerolath

LOL Good luck with that
  17. Windchaser

What kind of strain does collision detection put on the game and CPUs? Maybe it's not on for performance reasons.
  18. Private Public

The weirdest part is that you apparently can collide with a dead enemy's feet or some such body part even if they're like ghosts when living. Just make enemies actually corporeal not like they're made out of ecto-nanites.