Would you complain if a base fight lasted for days?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Duvenel, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Duvenel

Well I play on Cobalt, and while I don't think it's the busiest EU server I do think we get a fair amount of players, or at least enough to have some fairly interesting and intense battles. Could you possibly explain to me what really happened in PS1 multi-day fights? Because I mostly hear that it was just long, there were lots of bullets and lots of bodies everywhere.
  2. Duvenel

I have faith, it's why I'm still here. I hope that SOE manages to pull things around and get out of this slump we seem to be in. I want to be excited to play again.
  3. bluEyedillusions

I'm not sure I ever saw a truly multi-day fight which guns never stopped blazing. People sleep. It's really more like wave #1 assaults, fails... wave #2 + #3 assault at the same time, fail... with breaks in between. "Multi-day fights" would really just be a couple outfits holding a base for a couple days with attackers coming like varied levels of rain; sometimes trickling, sometimes a real storm, but never constant for two days. That's fantasy.

Imagine if current places in PS2 like Tech Labs were really defensible as to take a long time to wrest out of enemy control. Doesn't mean there'd be constant, non-stop shooting for days on end. Just means that many, many attempts to take it would come and go, failing.

Even the crown has downtime.

Still, that situation is better than bases that fall in two minutes like they do now. In my opinion, of course. Bases in PS2 change hands like the cold virus. You take a tech plant, you leave the tech plant, someone comes in behind you and retakes it back. "Oh well. We'll get it back later."

In PS1, and don't get me wrong, PS1 wasn't perfect, you would fight a long time to get a base and because it took so long, you would throw a little party after it's capture and hate ANYONE who tried to take it from you. Especially if it was a third faction that didn't have anything to do with taking in the first place. Sort of like "Hey, we did all the work, how DARE you just now show up and try to take it away from us."

There was also the factor of trying to starve a base's defense by prevent ANT transports from getting to the base (basically, turrets and such were powered by big-ol' batteries that had to be shuttled from the warpgate to the base.). Attackers could destroy the ANTs that tried to drop off power for the base, resulting in the eventual fall of the base's defensive systems. Forcefields, turrets, etc. would be unable to function at all without power.
  4. potato1234

5. LOLdragon

Honestly, I would.

I can totally sympathize with the desire for longer battles. But a fight that just rages on for days... that seems pretty difficult to maintain, especially with so many people dropping in and dropping out over the whole course of it, I'd be very surprised if such a thing would be sustainable.

About the closest I can think of to a battle that continues for an overly long time would be The Crown, and even that kind of upsets me... I just think it's a significant portion of the player population that's slogging away at one relatively meaningless point on the map while other players are out capturing more valuable territories.

But that's just me.
  6. SinerAthin

I would love longer fights, even if they lasted eternally, as long as they were balanced(as in not one side having a HUUUUGE advantage).
  7. T D B

Had these fights a lot in Beta/ First few weeks of PS2's release.
  8. Cl1mh4224rd

Uhh... Why would you rush home for that? If it's lasting for days, it would be in the same spot as the previous day.

Neither.
  9. potato1234

that's not an option. why are you dodging the question?
  10. Cl1mh4224rd

Because it's a false dilemma.
  11. Nithel

Longer the fight - the more interesting and creative the tactics are that get used

AI max squad failed.. Try again with engines.. That failed? Surprise them by starting out the same only have 30 light assault fly overtop of the maxxes... That fail? Try something new.. Sounds like fun to me

Of course I remember fighting inside PS1 bases as infantry with no tank/air worries once you were in the building
  12. PeterLawford

I miss Cyssorside. The battles in PS2 are over much too quickly. It makes them all seem pointless. Yay, we took the base in 15 minutes, and now were all going to leave and somebody else is going to take it from us in a similarly short time! Totally worth it!
  13. Weirdkitten

Not at all, game needs more PS1 and less BF and CoD. I'll settle for more PS1 though.
  14. Inverness

If base fights actually lasted that long then they might actually be worth something. Nobody cares about holding locations in PS2 because everything will be completely different if you leave and return even an hour later.
  15. Kumaro

Maybe not days but dammit i want better bases that can be defended and i mean military bases. What we have now isn't bases they are frigging Colony quick drop buildings!!! How long have they been on this planet again??
  16. khord

Uhh, dramatic effect. What I'm saying is that it would draw me IN to what's happening on Indar. As opposed to bunny hopping territories.
  17. Aliasse

I'm sick of crown.... WTB ORBITAL STRIKE.
  18. Radian12

I would love like 4-10 hors sieges even cople day long sieges.

But the public whiners ruin every durable base. Example Techplant . It rather have a stalemate than a shifting continent .
    Even when the Techplants were the bane of zergs everyone called it a farm and grenade spam . Why ? Why do people care about that .

I personaly hope that with the new patch there will a insane portion of carnage, grenade spam and a utter meatgrinder in the tunnels . At least it will be even for both sides and yeah i hope that all those that whine about long unbreakable sieges will leave PS2.
  19. ghnurbles

I wouldn't mind if territory took a bit longer to cap, in addition to the new spawn room changes. All too often you'll finish a fight, only to find a whole bunch of territory has changed hands while you're at it.
  20. bPostal

I would complain if they didn't.