[suggestion] Servers without friendly fire enabled

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dragam, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Dragam

[suggestion] Servers without friendly fire enabled.

ALOT of people in this game arent mature enough to handle the capability of team killing, thus 'troll' other people (really they arent trolling, they are just being plain out arseholes) by team killing them in every way possible, whenever they see fit.

For that reason, id very much like a server with friendly DISABLED, so facktards cant screw up your game experience with their 'trolling' (yes they could still tip you in aircraft, but at least you wouldnt get teamkilled on ground).
  2. ABATTLEDONKEY

There are alot of things that should be done before this bad idea. hardcore servers, inf servers, no air servers. hell lets just ask SOE to make a server for every single player so that we can all do what we want. servers dont cost money right?

no SOE just needs to refine the griefing system. maybe even add a reflective damage for FF. but dedicating an entire server, just to eliminate FF is not going to happen. a better idea would be to strap on them big boy pants and just deal with the odd occasion,
    • Up x 2
  3. medbot544

I really see absolutely no reason why FF is here in the first place; people spam explosives and bullets not matter what, even if there is friendles around. The TK punishments is laughable and ofc is abused (4th faction!).

But really, we don't need new servers at all b/c many are ghost towns.....unless they do something ingenious like having chars able to join any server from the outset and play anywhere you feel like, no limitations. Kinda like regular FPS shooter server lists instead of MMO type pick a server and stuck there forever unless you pay cashola.

W/e, this will never happen. It costs money, time, and effort to do so when they can be working on new ways to get money out of us.
  4. Dragam

Speaking of lacking maturity, i like how youre trying to belittle me aswell of my suggestion...

Most games doesnt have friendly fire enabled in NORMAL mode, and they dont for a reason... they know that a good chunk of people have IQ numbers similar to their age, and as so cant handle the capability of killing friendlies...

Could it be resolved through other means than having a server with friendly fire disabled? Doubtful, as douchebags that think they are awesome when 'trolling' others, probably wouldnt care about any penalty. However, if lets say a 5 cert loss was introduced for each teamkill, then it would most likely make ordinary thinking people think twice before shooting into a crowd of people.... but the 'trollers' (aka teenagers who are 'rebelling' against the world) wouldnt stop due to that...

Regarding servers being expensive... everything is suggesting that they are closing a few servers due to the declining player base, and as so, one of them could easily be turned into a server with friendly fire disabled.
  5. Dragam

Thats not a bad idea at all, changing the choice to the traditional fps style, but as you say, they couldnt milk us then... so yeah, better game, but bad business...

Regarding friendly fire shouldnt have been in the game in the first place... i totally agree, it causes nothing but grief.
  6. HappyZaps

Mm hmm. And did you think twice before typing that? Your plan would actually increase the reward for deliberate griefing. People would jump in front of your gun or tank because they know you will be punished for it by losing certs. This is an awesomely terrible idea. Same goes for the reflective damage some people are so keen on.

The system is fine. Honestly you're blowing things way, way out of proportion. The vast majority of people are just playing the game, and the vast majority of TKs are accidents.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dragam

If they were douchebags, im sure they would...

But come with something constructive, like a counter-idea, instead of just trashing.
  8. VexTheRaven

Dunno, ask the company that's got 10 mostly-empty servers running.
  9. Machine Spirit

I think the griefing could be resolved with other ideas, rather then a server without friendly fire.

I think they could atleast decrease griefing by making you deal less damage to allies, although it would not entirely fix the issue, it would atleast allow infantry to retaliate.
  10. Dragam

But thats the thing... they would still be able to team kill you, just cause they felt like it... It needs to be completely disabled, for it to end the griefing...
  11. Machine Spirit

I know, and I understand your concern, but completely disabling it is not an option either, it would allow people to be trigger happy, spam explosives and drive around like maniacs(they sometimes still do) point is, FF restrains the more ''intelligent'' people from doing stuff like that.

reducing the damage you do to friendlies would still make you think twice, but also allow someone who is being purposely shot at by team mates to retaliate, its not optimal but its a start.
  12. HappyZaps

No, for what should be an obvious reason: People would simply carpet bomb everything, everywhere, nonstop. Gunships and tanks would fire continuously such that it would be impossible for enemy troops to even approach a control point, generator room, or other critical area. Why wouldn't you do that when there's no possibility of harming your own people? It would be stupid not to.

Friendly fire is the only thing that prevents this game from becoming a nonsensical spamfest of weapons fire. The problem you're trying to solve doesn't really exist anyway. You're mad because someone occasionally kills you, accidentally or wantonly. That is absolutely the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of the time you are not getting gunned down by your own people -- that is, unless you're doing something horribly wrong.

There's no way you can ever disable FF in this game. That would be absurd.
    • Up x 2
  13. Phsychotica

Apart from intentional TK, which really doesn't happen as often people make out and I believe people mistake intentional and accidental a lot, most TKing is the fault of the TKed not being aware of their situation.

Example, I am very situationally aware hence:

I have 827 deaths, 23 of which are TKs, that's 2.78% of all my deaths due to teammates. I'll admit right now that probably at least 12 to 13 of those are my fault plus maybe 1 intentional from a generous friend. End result? Probably less than 1% of my deaths are the fault of my teammates. I really don't see this as a problem.

The problem is walking in front of lines of sight, shooting when someone else has priority for the shot (i.e. They're semi in front of you.), nades are 99% of the time accidental or fail nades and the worst one is infantry thinking they should have the right of way. I mean really? Who should move off the road the 80kg soldier traveling at <10km/h or the 60000kg tank doing 60km/h?

I'm sorry if that seems blunt but a lot of these posts crop up and the evidence tends to point to the TKed not the TKer.
    • Up x 1
  14. Dragam

It happens to me ALOT... about 10% of my deaths, are caused by team kills... and the majority of them were intentional team kills, where they were 'trolling'... so yes, for me personally, it IS a major concern, as i experience it too often -_-'

I should probably add that im driving in the prowler for the most of the time, thus dont get killed by 'accident' - people that team kill me, intend to do so.
  15. Maidere

AFAIK they planned to make no-ff servers
  16. Dixa

at first iw as against friendly fire

but i understand why it's there. without friendly fire and it's consequences, the game would favor vehicles even more than it does now.

think about it.
  17. ABATTLEDONKEY

First off let me apologize. i did not mean to, in any way, belittle you. for that I am sorry. the tone in my head, is obviously different than the way you read it. I was trying to be more sarcastic with a friendly jab.

My contention with your request is the confusion revolving peoples obsession with having no consequences. not you in particular, but with the community in whole, most people dont like friendly fire because they want to be able to act alone, regardless of friendlies in the area, with no consideration for situational awareness. I have never understood why people dislike FF. i think it adds an aspect to the game which requires thought and punishes stupidity. I understand your concern with trolls, but TBH i dont think thats a real issue. ive been TKed more times than i like to count, but MOST of the time they are accidents, and they are few enough that they are completely inconsequential. I would rather have FF than an easy mode that promotes spamming. there area also many times in which FF is a GOOD thing as in someone glitching that needs to be killed or someone trolling by blocking a doorway or something.

in short, im sorry for attacking you, it was uncalled for and rude, and I do not mean to be that way, but I am still against your idea 100%. not only for the reasons stated above, but also because i believe there are many other variable limiting servers which would be much more beneficial.

Also every game today has FF turned off, but thats only in the latest round of games to come out. most games in the past have had FF as a default. modern games are dictated by console children that like the ultra-fast pace which results in twitch wars. this is not a safe FF environment so most games are opting out of FF because the new generation of gamers whine and complain about trivial issues to much and its easier to not deal with it. not because it actually adds to gameplay.
  18. ABATTLEDONKEY

HA HA well yes, that is a good point. I dont know the specifics on that but i have often wondered why SOE seems to be against server merges. i would figure that they would save money this way.
  19. EWarren

I can imagine disabling friendly fire actually enforcing proper behavior.

For example, if an outfit is firm on protecting an AMS Sundy, it can declare anyone taking a single shot at the AMS will be killed, friend or foe, while suffering no penalties in doing so.

But knowing myself, I would rather have FF turned on. I spam HE shells way too often and actually NEED FF indicator to tell me if I am going overboard in shooting tank shells into windows / doors / rocks suspected of hiding enemy infantries.

Similarly, going at 240 in a Mossy and dive bombing a tank is risky business to friendlies (especially if I launch rockets at max distance just as infantries get rendered)
  20. Dingus148

You mean instead of a weapons lock, a "Teamkiller" tag comes up over the person's head and everyone is free to kill them without consequence? I think you'd need to institute a "Punish/Forgive" system for that to work out. I mean, accidents happen, particularly in CQB. But it'd be a nice system to implement, and lolpodding/lolspamming aircraft/tanks that routinely fire into friendly positions in the hope of scoring a few kills would find themselves quickly taken out of the picture.