Question about shotty slug ammo

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by EaterOfBabies, Jan 15, 2013.

1. EaterOfBabies

Okay, this could go in any class forum I guess but since I use the shotty mostly on LA I will post this question here. I recently picked up the slug ammo to give it a whirl and ended up liking it a lot on my first go around. Being able to drop people so quickly at that range definitely has its uses. However, I noticed something I wasn't prepared for on my second play session that has me worried.

Does the slug ammo accuracy drop to zero if you start strafing or moving at all? On my first try with the ammo I remeber staying mostly still and sniping with it. But on my second attempt I moved around a lot to juke. I tried it both scoped and hipfire and the amount of "non-hits" that I get, even when the cross hair is directly on the enemy is kind of ridiculous. I tried at all ranges as well and when I try and juke around it seems like the slug ammo just becomes useless.

Do I have that right or am I a victim of unseen lag? Thanks.
  2. Hosp

At the same time you experienced it on the move, did you as well mix in it's use while still or shortly after moving holdign still and using it effectively?

Wondering if this is another sign of the no damage bug that seems to appear randomly.
  3. EaterOfBabies

Unfortunately, my first play session was very different from my second due to the fight being different at the time. The first time was an outdoors battle at Hvar where I was able to effectively set up in a tree and snipe a bit. I also had a few random encounters at medium range where the person stood still allowing me to quickly drop them before juking was needed.

However, on the next play session it was at the Crown with a heavy assault going on and me skipping through the rocks and buildings trying to put out fires. I was on the move a lot and engaging at all ranges while needing to juke.

I might try to reset my modem tonight and give it another go to see if it might have been on my end.
  4. Compass

It has poor CoF in movement. If you fancy cover to cover medium range shooting, the slugs are better. On the move, flying, and in close range, the buckshot is less affected by movement.
  5. Iridar51

Yep, slug accuracy while moving is non-existant. This is the price for having absoulte accuracy otherwise.
  6. Ghoest

You need to go to the warp gate and run around shooting at people. Its the best way to learn what will and what wont hit with slugs.

With a laser sight you can sometimes hit people while you are moving if you are with in ~10 meters. But you cant depend on it.

Over all I dont recommend slugs at close range for any reason other than an emergency.
  7. Wily

If you're moving, slugs are silly string accuracy. The only good thing about them is their consistent damage and accuracy out to extreme ranges. I really, really wish I could slap a 6x scope on my shotgun.

In CQB moving, you can miss in some truly ridiculous ways, like it feels like 30 degrees off where you're pointing the gun. I'm sure it's actually smaller, but that's what it feels like. If you're in close with slugs, IMO your only prayer is to stop and try to hipfire him down with three quick taps.
  8. Paqu

Dont bother resetting your modem. Slugs just simply has very poor accuracy while hipfiring or moving. Its not uncommon to miss all 12 shots when enemy is 5 meters away and I try to kill him by firing from the hip while moving.

Now instead of engaging enemies at medium range with slugs, I recommend that you change your playstyle to more aggressive and just get right in their face. And of course use buckshots. Trust me its going to work way better. Save slugs for long range situations only.
  9. Wolfwood82

All in all though, unless you actively seek out CQC combat religiously, your going to encounter medium range combat far more often then CQC. JUST having an aggressive play style doesn't help much with this.
  10. HeadshotVictim

Slug-Ammo ist just ONE huge and slow bullet shredding through everything it hits.
    And that's the extent of it.
    It is one bullet, moving rather slow.
    If you are strafing you shoot and the bullet flies slowly from its point of release to the point where you aimed it. While strafing you have to aim A LOT further in the expected direction.
    Oh and the second shot hits the ceiling if fired in rapid fashion... the 4th one hits the people beind you : )
  11. Paqu

Well of course you cant avoid all medium range fights, but most of them anyway even in most of the areas, not just some biolabs.

When you encounter enemy at medium range with buckshots you have three options to deal it.
    1. Get out of line of sight and flank him with your jump jets or drifter
    2. Make him chase you and kill him when he gets closer
    3. Escape and go somewhere else

With drifters I havent had any problems dealing with enemies even in places like amp stations where the main building is at the center and walls go around it and in the middle there is quite a lot of open ground. All I need is to get to the tower, use the jumppad and stop the flight in mid air. Then I have access to pretty much everywhere on the base and can land right next to enemies.

Shotgun on any other class than LA? Yeah I agree not very good since its going to be hard to get close. But like I said just change the playstyle and use drifter or jump jets depending the situation and you will end up having much more CQC than medium range fights.

And the best part is that when you do get close you win 90% of those fights unless if enemy has shotgun as well of course. With carbine from medium range its more like 50% chance to win and in CQC you are in trouble against HA and shotgun. My KDR and overall effecttiveness went way up after I started using buckshots.
  12. Compass

You can use a pistol as well. For example, both the Emperor and the Repeater for TR are effective at medium range, with the Repeater being an excellent basically auto-pistol, and the Emperor being a miniature battle rifle.
  13. {joer

Slug ammo is GREAT until its not. At times it seems to play 'dance around the target' and missing with a shotgun is a lot more dangerous than a high ROF weapon. I have a love/hate with slug ammo, mostly love but now and then its a "oh come on!" moment.
  14. MasterCheef

You HAVE to use your pistol for anything other than sniping when you use slug ammo.
    Shotgun sniping is great when the opportunity presents itself, but in ANY OTHER situation it will get you killed.

For me, i have to completely change my playstyle in order to effectively use slugs. You have to pretty much become a camper ONLY. Any situation that requires quick reflexes means your dead, Unless youre quick on the pistol draw.
  15. footjam

I use a pandora on my Engineer with slugs simply because you can spam and always have plenty of ammo. I have found that its a spray and pray when engaging troops in CBQ. The automatic/extended clip allows for a better than average chance to actually hit the enemy 2-3 times and swap to your pistol to finish them. There are times when I completely miss and am left hanging out to dry but that is the trade off. I like my slug shotgun with IR/NV scope as it is just awesomely accurate and 3 slugs = dead infantry, 4 for NW certs