There needs to be a kind of mav in this game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by the pestimist, Jan 14, 2013.

1. the pestimist

There is no kind of scout or someone to actually make an estimate at least of how many enemies there are or much resistance their will be so a mav would fulfill that role it wont be able to kill or anything like that just scout.
  2. Dingus148

Ummm....infiltrator? This isn't BF3. We work in teams here.

On a positive, at least you didn't ask for a UAV killstreak.
  3. FateJH

Use a flash with scout radar, or fly over with an ESF with scout radar, or use an Infiltrator's scouting darts. Just resist the urge to kill anything, if the lack of lethality matters.
    • Up x 1
  4. JesNC

A remote-operated scouting UAV would be awesome though.

No guns, maybe a sensor, maybe thermal vision, half (or a quarter)the health of a mana turret, ~100m remote range (certable).
  5. the pestimist

what about my scout class idea what do u think about that one.
  6. Dingus148

Perhaps any of the options FateJH mentioned? They all work, and the battlefield is too big to justify something like a UAV. Infils are underutilized as it is, and ESFs will be adopting to their new role, which include scouting. As for the flash? Just a bonus.

We do not need a UAV. We have the tools at our fingertips, just use them. All a UAV would do is leave you sniper-bait when someone playing their role spots you.

If you wanna talk proximity sensors for the engineer with the intent of fortifying bases, I'm all ears. But the UAV idea is redundant and speaks volumes about the kind of game you expect this to be.

Repeat after me;
    -In
    -fil
    -tra
    -tor
    It is a scout class. Grab a BR and get some. Or LA, if you prefer maneuverability to stealth.
  7. Exmortius

infiltrator utility gun has sensor that marks enemies for about 10 seconds.
  8. MangoPunch

I believe Higby mentioned on Twitter that they're thinking of a MAV type device for the Infil.
  9. the pestimist

can you link it.
  10. the pestimist

marks and perhaps counts enemies.
  11. TheEvilBlight

Bring back the Phoenix missile so the NC can scout.

I wonder if you can use a Phoenix missile to Q.
  12. JesNC

Don't try to lecture me please.

I only ever said that it would be a fun tool to play with. I never said that I would need something like that to compete in my chosen role. I'm mainly playing infiltrator, and I have no problems detecting enemies whatsoever. I do have the scout radar on both the ATV and the ESF as well as RDD level 4.

They work, but piloting around in an UAV is just hilarious, and I think it would be a great tool for an organized team.
  13. f0d

no thanks (we dont need to copy everything from bf3)

for scouting use a infiltrator with the recon detect device
  14. Codek

I would much rather see the Stalker and Wraith cloaks be reintroduced to the game than see scouting be done by a drone. Gives the Infiltrator more value than just be a sniper with a puny short term cloak.
    • Up x 3
  15. A puppeteer

U mav bro?

Do you even lib?
  16. f0d

^ THIS 110%

the main reason i havnt even played an infil yet is because of the lack of stalker cloak (thats the permanent one yeah?) i really want to go PS1 style and infiltrate a base with a pistol and just wreck stuff
    • Up x 1
  17. Dingus148

Sorry, I've been snappy all day. Didn't realise how snide I sounded til I reread it. I don't see a need for it; in BF3 they help because they're a passive boost to a team, deployable from a ranged position. BF3 consists of strangers playing together largely autonomously, so passive devices at key locations are the order of the day. PS2 requires greater coordination (or, as we've seen, numbers) so active participation should be key. At least, that's the key thrust of my dislike of this idea.

In my mind, this MAV concept would take up the turret slot (according to the design of old matey), and would severely hamstring friendly advances should the ammo pack switch not be implemented. The only time I can see this being an asset is if an engineer is supporting a sniper nest. Something I'd rather not see...I've done my time hunting wookies.

Now, should there be a high speed, aerial scout vehicle? If there was a manned alternative, THAT is something I'd like to see. Something completely unarmed, bonkers fast, and fragile as glass. Something like a high-risk alternative to the Flash, for those who otherwise couldn't be bothered flying (hence a cost of, say, 75-100 aircraft) Only problem I can see is that it would render the Gal obsolete, but I'd rather see something like this being implemented before unmanned drone scouts.

I played a lot of BF3 and it was a godsend there...doubly so in TDM. If Smed has said it's incoming, I guess I have to grit my teeth and grumble quietly. I just feel it's pandering to the elements of the BF3 crossovers who refuse to relearn the game. It's not the only thing I've seen like that, but hey. I don't get paid the big bucks. Something in my gut tells me there's a better way to do this WITHOUT shamelessly ripping off a competitor.
  18. Fallout10mm

Infiltrators are good enough scouts as is, heck I scout with my light assault all the time (hide up in a tree and mark all the passing enemies without them ever figureing out where I'm at)

Side note If a marv somehow does get added, when you kill it, can the message say You just shot MARV in the Face! ?
  19. Codek

Yes. Wraith allows the infil to cloak a Flash similar to the Wraith ATV in PS 1. Stalker sacrifices the rifle slot in exchange for (near) permanent cloaking.

Having to spend ANY time uncloaked every minute or so makes the Infil useless as a permanent spotter/scout in open field areas as are abundant in Easmir, and it also limits its ability to, like, INFILTRATE a heavily guarded base to disrupt its operations through electronic warfare.

I too am avoiding the Infil until at least Stalker is in the game. I'm mostly using HA in the meantime.
  20. LameFox

I don't know who first called it a MAV, but it's not as though EA/DICE actually invented the concept of small scout drones infantry can deploy. As long as they don't make them as stupidly as DICE did, they should serve as a vaguely useful scouting tool and a fun thing to use for skeet shooting.