Lack of footstep noise lowers skill cap too much

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CheaterBuster, Jan 13, 2013.

1. CheaterBuster

Please? This is a basic of FPS games since Quake. How can you have an FPS without audible footsteps?

Very lazy developers.
  2. CrispyHaze

Did you try playing with sound?
    • Up x 8
  3. OutlawShadow

I hear footsteps very clearly in game and use it to ambush people at generators.
    • Up x 2
  4. CheaterBuster

CrispyHaze, why is your K/D ratio less than 1.0 as a Prowler/ESF user?

Does not compute.
  5. Duvenel

There are audible footsteps, I've used it to prefire into enemies walking into a room. I think you might be referring to the fact that sound is muffled if you are not facing the "direction" in which the sound is being emitted.
  6. CheaterBuster

Maybe my settings are wrong.

What is your SFX at? I had mine at max. Do footsteps count as SFX or am I overshadowing them with explosions and stuff?
  7. Badname3529.

I'm on ****** onboard audio and can still hear footsteps. Are you playing with headphones?
  8. Degenatron

I hear footsteps fine. However, I am amazed at how often people don't hear me coming.
  9. Badname3529.

It might just be your sound system. Different cans and speakers have different strengths. If yours favor lows too much they might be muffling other noises with explosions.
  10. MasterChiefette

Wow...I use the sounds of footsteps all the time. In fact I am always commenting to my roomy about the sounds in the game and how essential footsteps are because SOE nailed it on this. :)
    • Up x 1
  11. maxkeiser

I hear footsteps very clearly indeed - to the point of being able to locate exactly where, and from what direction my enemy is coming from. I can also tell how many of them there are as well.
    • Up x 1
  12. Littleman

I don't really hear footsteps unless the target is sprinting and nearly on top of me. It sucks, but I'm aware of them being a give away for others so I tend to crouch walk into an area I expect to find a hostile(s) in.
  13. FateJH

I hear footsteps, but indoors typically and only really close by. I'm not really bothered by hearing it everywhere; footsteps is one of those sounds that bothers me in real life too.
  14. Tasogie

This made me laugh..... well said mate :)
    • Up x 2
  15. Monnor

Maybe he cant hear them while liberators bomb his position.:eek:
  16. Imperium Assault

Get headphones. Try lowering sound quality. Get a better CPU.
  17. Badname3529.

This might be intended so as to not yield a large advantage to people with a good setup.
  18. CheaterBuster

I have a pair of 60$ turtle beaches.

I can hear my own, and those of others if theyre right next to me, but I can't hear people walking on metal @ 10+ meters.. IDK what the problem is.
  19. Phyr

My 20$ earbuds can hear footsteps just fine. Onboard audio and default settings.
  20. BrickaBracka

You might want to invest in a pair of headphones if you don't have them already, or a better pair. Some surround sound ones would be great for this. Not only can you hear footsteps quite easily but it's directional. I have the plantronics gamecom 780. Little pricey at 50-60$ but it's well worth the money imo. You could buy a cheaper pair as well and still get a benefit from it. I hear footsteps all the time. Even in my tank when no one else is around xD hope they fix that at some point.