Higby wants to talk about spotting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Snifnix

Spotting should be better. *gasp* BUT limited to infiltrators in conjunction with some kind of scout loadout. The whole scout aspect of the game needs some love as do the functionality of the classes. Why not combine all 3.
  2. Rolfski

Add strategic spotting/scouting that reveals detailed enemy activity on the map and target designation to call in artillery.
    I also would like to see some counter to spotting with the infrared/NV optics as they seem a bit OP now, especially on HE canons and rocket pods. Some kind of anti-thermal suit that makes infantry harder to spot with these optics but the trade-off is that it takes a suit slot.
  3. Akrasjel

I like spoting as it is
  4. Frostical

Could it not be something like, if someone spots an enemy that is currently visible on your screen, the red marker could flash briefly above their head so you can see where they are, but it doesnt track them for longer than 2 seconds. It would give a greater importance to tracking the actual target rather than just following the red triangle as I find myself doing.

At the same time, the area they were in on the minimap could flash red briefly, to indicate an enemy spotted in that area. That way, if you weren't looking in that direction when they were spotted, you won't see exactly where the enemy is but you'll know the approximate area where to look.
    • Up x 1
  5. Jkar

Spotting really only needs three changes.

1. Decrease the range at which infantry can be spotted without scoping. I'm guilty of spamming the Q key while running at any given location and only scoping in when I get a response. Leave spot range when you actually use your scope / iron sight as is.

2. Make the spot marker not follow the spotted target but let it remain for about 5 seconds at the position the target was spotted at (both on mini map and the HUD)

3. Spot spam lock. Press spot three times in a row and then have a lock for 10 seconds until you can spot again, effectively making spot less powerful than it is, while still enabling you to alert people around you of a threat they don't take notice of or a very rough outline of enemy movement.
    • Up x 1
  6. Twido

I think spotting is a good idea but it really needs some tweeks.

First of all, you shouldn't be able to use it to cover such a wide area. I really don't like the idea of using a key to find things that you didn't notice with your own eyes. This follows on to my second complaint which is using it to effectively see through smoke, thus making smoke grenades much less useful for a very silly reason.
    Finally, I think that all classes should have the ability to spot but it would be really cool if the infiltrator could have some kind of tool that improves their spotting ability.
  7. UberBonisseur

No items.

Fox Only

Final destination
  8. Bloodlet

Spotting is fine. Militaries already have technology that allows you to update enemy positions in real time on a computer that is networked with other soldiers. I would imagine in the future it would only get better.
  9. VoidMagic

I like spotting as it is.
  10. Xiphos

I mostly like spotting as it is but would appreciate auto spotting within a certain distance so I don't have to mash the Q key constantly. That would also address the giraffe camo problem. Another reason for Q mashing is being able to spot around corners which is definitely wrong.

Infiltrator spotting being inaudible to enemies would be nice as well.

The reason I like powerful spotting is that it prevents voice comms from being filled with people trying to tell others where on the rooftops some LA is hiding.
  11. UberBonisseur

They could also create Spotting-Jammer things :rolleyes:
  12. A Tweek Snake

Spotting would be neat if there were a special item needed to spot (i.e. some sort of binocs, or playing as the Infiltrator class) that would reveal an enemy's location on the minimap without the red triangle above them (to prevent constant tracking through cover/terrain), with your character shouting direction/elevation a la ARMA games.
  13. Bloodlet

It doesn't really work that way considering how advanced radios are now with frequency hopping and such.. You would basically need to EMP enemy forces to stop their computer network and if you can EMP them you might as well just shoot them not to mention EMPs can be guarded against as well.
  14. UberBonisseur

It will work because
    [IMG]

Seriously though, if Planetside has soldiers, tanks and aircraft, it's in order to be FAMILIAR, not realistic.
    The "realism" argument isn't going anywhere. Focus on gameplay implications
  15. Otleaz

Maybe we should start killing each other with gunships that can spot and fire from miles away, too. They could also replace ESF with drones that can destroy an entire facility before you can even see it.
  16. Dkamanus

Remove 3D Spotting from ALL Classes except infiltrators. Their role as spotter for the rest of the team would be assured and the class necessity something that would be very welcome. It's ******* ******** to shoot in the dark against red doritos, which I spot if I can't see them very well.

Having a sniper/Spotter would help Squads much more. SQUADS! Not lone wolves. Giving this would make the sniper/infiltrator something more for the team. Make the target lit for all his squad members and that the time it stays lit is of 5 seconds. Vehicles, airplanes, infantry, this is a spotters ability.

What COULD be left for everyone else is the yelling the Q gives. People will still, at close range, know there is an infiltrator close, and only the one that spotted it will know exactly where the guy is, making the others check for FF against an enemy to get some clues of his wherabouts.
  17. Kyouki

If camo actually did something in this game besides looks then people can complain further about pay to win. And this is something which CANNOT be bought with certs so at this point it becomes valid.
  18. Bloodlet

We could also get patriot missles, surface to surface missles, cluster bombs and chemical weapons too.
  19. TeknoBug

Ever since the first time I saw 3D spotting which was in the first Battlefield: Bad Company (on Xbox 360) I rolled my eyes, kind of a silly feature. In Battlefield 2, you had to train yourself to spot enemies well. In PS1, enemy names appeared in the direction you looked so spotting wasn't necessary.

I hammer spot to get that extra xp when that spotted player gets killed.
  20. Vorpal

I feel like spotting is far too generous to things near the edge of your screen (or not even in your line of sight at all).

I've routinely been sneaking along behind/above someone sitting there spamming Q and they will 'spot' me when they really, really shouldn't.

Usually they aren't paying attention and I can kill them anyway, but it's silly that I can be spotted when they aren't even looking at me.